Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the release candidate versions of upcoming iOS 17.3 and iPadOS 17.3 updates to developers and public beta testers, with the updates available a week after the release of the third iOS 17.3 and iPadOS 17.3 betas.

iOS-17.3-Feature.jpg

Registered developers are able to opt into the betas by opening up the Settings app, going to the Software Update section, tapping on the "Beta Updates" option, and toggling on the iOS 17 or iPadOS 17 Developer Beta. An Apple ID associated with a developer account is required to download and install the beta.

iOS 17.3 introduces a Stolen Device Protection feature that limits access to your private information in case someone obtains both your iPhone and your passcode. When activated, it requires Face ID or Touch ID identity verification to do things like accessing passwords in iCloud Keychain, turning off Lost Mode, making purchases through Safari with saved payment credentials, and more.

There are also features that require verification and have a one-hour delay to access, such as changing an Apple ID passcode, an iPhone passcode, turning off Find My, and turning off Face ID. More details can be found in our article on Stolen Device Protection.

The update also adds collaborative Apple Music playlists, a feature that lets Apple Music subscribers share playlists with others to build shared song lists. Collaborative playlists are simple to use, can be shared with a link, and support emoji reactions.

Finally, the update adds a new Unity Bloom wallpaper for iPhone and iPad.

Release candidate builds of iOS 16.7.5, iPadOS 16.7.5, iOS 15.8.1, iPadOS 15.8.1 with security fixes for older devices are also available.

Apple today said that iOS 17.3 and iPadOS 17.3 will be released next week.

Full release notes for iOS 17.3 are below:

Stolen Device Protection
- Stolen Device Protection increases security of iPhone and Apple ID by requiring Face ID or Touch ID with no passcode fallback to perform certain actions
- Security Delay requires Face ID or Touch ID, an hour wait, and then an additional successful biometric authentication before sensitive operations like changing device passcode or Apple ID password can be performed

Lock Screen
- New Unity wallpaper honors Black history and culture in celebration of Black History Month

Music
- Collaborate on playlists allows you to invite friends to join your playlist and everyone can add, reorder, and remove songs
- Emoji reactions can be added to any track in a collaborative playlist

This update also includes the following improvements:
- AirPlay hotel support lets you stream content directly to the TV in your room in select hotels
- AppleCare & Warranty in Settings shows your coverage for all devices signed in with your Apple ID
- Crash detection optimizations (all iPhone 14 and iPhone 15 models)

Article Link: Apple Seeds iOS 17.3 and iPadOS 17.3 Release Candidates

Last edited:

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
Build number 21D50

Also:

iOS and iPadOS 16.7.5 RC build 20H307

iOS and iPadOS 15.8.1 RC build 19H380

Last edited:

Reeneman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2021
Took a while after the news that it’s out until it was available on my 15 Pro in Germany.
So far it looks okay:

Attachments

• IMG_4429.png
    IMG_4429.png
    347.4 KB · Views: 61
Reactions: Jay Bly

Infuspeur

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2023
I just now opted in for beta updates. How can I see if the current update is the latest version? I think I’ll wait a day to be safe.

vertsix

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2015
Texas
Can someone with an Apple Watch Series 6 check if there's no removal of the SpO2 functionality with this update? I know watchOS hasn't been updated yet, but I don't want Apple to pull a fast one.

Reactions: Jay Bly

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
Can someone with an Apple Watch Series 6 check if there's no removal of the SpO2 functionality with this update? I know watchOS hasn't been updated yet, but I don't want Apple to pull a fast one.
Even faster would be if the RC has SpO2 still - but public release doesn't.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
To sync the iphone with computer with cable it stalls with "Preparing to sync"

One can force the sync to resume by running this in Terminal:

Code:
pkill -9 "MDCrashReportTool"

ipads sync properly so it is only iphones with this problem.

Various incarnations of the problem were apparent since the release of iOS 17 and continued through several point release updates and betas. The 17.3 betas did not solve it either.

Apple seem to not want to admit the problem exists.

Clearly MDCrashReportTool is still working because the ipads still sync.

MDCrashReportTool extracts crash reports and is supposed to send to apple. For it to hang at that point indicates it is likely a problem with apple's server side, not on the computer or iphone.

And by "computer" I mean macs AND windows machines. The problem has also been reported with windows computers.

So no ios, macos, windows updates will fix it. The fix can only come at the apple server side.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
FWIW, Blood Oxygen app still works just fine on my S9 Apple Watch after updating both iPhone & Watch to the RC.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: Jay Bly and Kar98
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.