Apple Seeds iOS 8.2 With WatchKit SDK for Apple Watch Apps to Developers

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 18, 2014.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today announced that its set of WatchKit development tools are now available for developers, allowing them to begin creating apps and software for the company's upcoming Apple Watch.
    WatchKit is being released as part of the iOS 8.2 and Xcode 6.2 beta, both of which have been made available to developers today.

[​IMG]
    Both the iOS 8.2 Beta with WatchKit and the Xcode 6.2 beta can be downloaded from Apple's developer site, which also has Apple Watch development resources for developers. WatchKit can currently be used to create Glances, actionable notifications, and Apple Watch apps that are powered by the iPhone. Many Apple Watch apps will be driven by code that runs on the iPhone, with a UI that displays content on the watch itself. According to Apple, "fully native" Apple Watch apps can be created "later next year."

As described by Apple, actionable notifications are notifications that allow users to take an action or respond directly from their wrists with the Apple Watch, turning off the lights when they've left the house, for example, or accessing flight information at an airport. Glances are somewhat simpler, aiming to give users quick information at a glance like news, weather, sports scores, and more.

[​IMG]
    In its press release, Apple highlights several developers who have already begun working with WatchKit, giving some additional insight into how the WatchKit tools can be used. The ESPN app for Apple Watch delivers live scores and information on teams, according to ESPN VP John Kosner, and it offers snapshots of live games through Glances and alerts on score changes through actionable notifications.

Instagram has used WatchKit to develop actionable notifications that let users instantly like a photo or respond with an emoji, plus there's an Instagram news and watch list to let users see their friends favorite photos and get an overview of likes and comments. American Airlines has used Apple Watch to create pre-trip notifications, updates for gate changes, gate connection information, and alerts when a flight begins boarding, all of which can be accessed directly from the wrist.

In addition to sharing these use cases for the Apple Watch, Apple has also created a dedicated Apple Watch site for developers, outlining the difference between full apps, Glances, and actionable notifications, offering download links to the iOS 8.2 beta with WatchKit SDK, and providing design guidelines and templates.

[​IMG]
    Apple has said that its Apple Watch will be released in "early 2015," but an exact launch date remains unclear. At the lower end, the device will retail for $349, with estimates placing pricing for the higher-end solid gold version at thousands of dollars.

Article Link: Apple Seeds iOS 8.2 With WatchKit SDK for Apple Watch Apps to Developers

2. aevelasquez macrumors regular

I wonder if this lends any credence to the rumored February 2015 release date .

3. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Perfect.

@PanguTeam can start ripping it apart looking for exploits.

4. Razeus macrumors 603

Please don't break anything else while doing it. iOS 8.1.1 seems very good like it should be so far.

5. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

That was quick.

I'm wondering, does this mean 8.2 won't come out until February, or might they release it before then even though the Apple Watch won't come out until around that time.

I was hoping for at least one more iOS update before the Apple Watch release.

6. Eithanius macrumors 65816

Why not...? There's still plenty of 8.1.x to float around... :p:p

7. ButteryScrollin macrumors 6502a

what does it matter?

8. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

"Starting later next year, developers will be able to create fully native apps for Apple Watch."

Later next year?

9. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

Is there an :apple:Watch simulator, or how are we supposed to know if it works or not?

10. mattburley7 macrumors 68040

8.2 probably in February

if they release anymore updates before the watch its probably going to be iOS 8.1.2, etc. if needed.

11. haXis macrumors member

haXis

OMG release Xcode 6.1.1 GM to the App Store already!

12. nfl46, Nov 18, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2014

nfl46 macrumors 604

nfl46

So, it looks like we'll get 8.2 in a few months then. I expect we'll get a 8.1.2 before then, though.

13. Stuipdboy1000 macrumors 6502a

Stuipdboy1000

Hopefully this will tell us what resolution and PPI is on the Apple Watch.

14. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

True, fair enough.

----------

Why does it matter? I suppose it doesn't, but am I not allowed to hope for some more bug fixes in the next 3 months?

15. NMBob macrumors 6502a

So this is why installing 8.1.1 gave back about a GB of capacity. They are just going to resume the bloating with this. Now it makes sense.

16. mhuggett macrumors member

mhuggett

Love to but....

Registered developer (ya I know, so what :) ) , and would really like to check this out but, well, first my iphone 6plus 128GB Gold needs to arrive... 8 weeks and still waiting... at this point apple watch will be out and I'll still be waiting.

Patience is a virtue...

17. obitow macrumors member

obitow

From Xcode 6.2 Release Notes:

18. troop231, Nov 18, 2014

troop231 macrumors 603

I just confirmed the 38mm watch UI size is 136w x 170h and the 42mm watch UI size is 156w x 195h.

Those are in points by the way, so the native resolution will be 2x most likely:
    38mm: 272w x 340h Px
    42mm: 312w x 390h Px

Edit: Confirmed 2x will indeed be used: "Create all of your image resources as @2x images. There is no need to include non @2x resources in your Watch app bundle."

[​IMG][​IMG]

19. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

If this has a watch simulator, it would be interesting to see what the screen resolution is of it. I know they said retina display but I'm all about the pixels ;)

Ooops! Spoke too soon ;0) Thanks troop231

pac

20. utsava macrumors regular

Two different resolutions... interesting.

21. Alimar macrumors 6502a

Alimar

Free Watch prototypes for all involved with 8.2 SDK.

22. DesignG macrumors member

DesignG

Does it mean that it is retina?

23. Stuipdboy1000 macrumors 6502a

Stuipdboy1000

They refer to it in their documentation as a Retina display.

24. troop231, Nov 18, 2014

troop231 macrumors 603

Yes, according to Apple's website: "A Retina display is the primary surface for every interaction with Apple Watch"

https://www.apple.com/watch/technology/

Edit: Confirmed 2x will indeed be used: "Create all of your image resources as @2x images. There is no need to include non @2x resources in your Watch app bundle."

25. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

No. Angela Ahrendts has already been quoted stating a "spring" launch. Whether she meant calendar spring or spring selling period; i.e., Easter and graduation, that's def. not Feb. Apple Watch isn't released until late March at the earliest.