• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Apple has seeded developers with Beta 8 of the iPhone Software Developer's Kit (SDK) in preparation for the upcoming App Store. Alongside the latest SDK, Apple has also seeded a pre-release of iTunes 7.7 as well as a new version of the iPhone 2.0 Firmware.

A detailed list of changes are not yet available, but Apple is now accepting Apps into the iPhone App store.

Article Link

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
Great, we are getting closer to the app store being live!

Comment

SirOmega

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2006
Las Vegas
Apple is now accepting Apps into the iPhone App store.

Has there been a significant uptick in terms of devs getting letters letting them into the AppStore? I havent seen any evidence of that, and I still haven't got mine....

Edit: It also seems that B8 is the "final" release. Though Apple isn't calling it that (clarification: its the final SDK revision, but probably not the final XCode rev because IB is still not ready)

Comment

solipsism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2008
Is this new v2.0 available with the SDK for anyone or is it still just for those who have been accepted as developers?

Comment

himansk

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2006
Copy/paste, MMS, SMS character counter... are any of these things there? That's all I want to know! :eek: :D

dont bet on it, dont think apple would suddenly release copy/paste UI so close to the final release without testing it out completely, and without letting the developers prepare for it (if the UI requires any changes to the apps.

Comment

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
With all of the iPhone Copy-Cats out already it seems like Apple is the one behind this time (even with iPhone version 2).

Comment

himansk

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2006
Is this new v2.0 available with the SDK for anyone or is it still just for those who have been accepted as developers?

sdk is for everybody signed up to adc (free) as before, iphone OS (& probably itunes) are for paid developers in the iphone program.

Comment

solipsism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2008
sdk is for everybody signed up to adc (free) as before, iphone OS (& probably itunes) are for paid developers in the iphone program.

That is what I thought, but I was hoping things were differnet now that it's gold master.

Comment

himansk

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2006
iTunes applications screen

Attachments

• iTunes002.png
    iTunes002.png
    81 KB · Views: 1,369
Comment

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
this may be a stupid question, but with all these syncing preferences handled by itunes, will itunes have to be open for push mail, contacts and calendaring to work?

never mind. I misinterpreted the article.

Comment

shawnce

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2004
this may be a stupid question, but with all these syncing preferences handled by itunes, will itunes have to be open for push mail, contacts and calendaring to work?
No. iTunes isn't involved in the push (nor is your computer) from the "cloud" (aka mobile me servers) to your iPhone. However things like iCal and Address book will push updates (as well as receive updates) from mobile me.

Comment

applefan69

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2007
Alberta
Im not surprised but still Im REALLY thinking iTunes is gonna need a new name soon. iTUNE's doesnt really fit anymore.

Its more like iPortaltoyouripod/iPhone iTunes is used to sync everything to your iPhone and iPod and such. Like idk its not a bi deal I honestly dont care im just thinking maybe apple got carried away I mean when it started out they thought "ok ituns will sync the music its that simple" then it went into "well I guess iTunes can sync photos too... its media like music I guess" next thing we know "ok I guess if we're already syncing music and photos what harm can vidoes be?"

Now we at the point where it syncs your ENTIRE computer.

Comment

solipsism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2008

No, the syncing within iTunes for iPods and iPhone are a direct connection service. The Push service for the iPod Touch, iPhone, Mac Mail, iCal, Address Book, Outlook, Outlook Express, and bookmarks will work via a separate, unknown service.

With Windows there will be a process running in the background that will look for info coming from the Mobile Me cloud. While OS X Leopard looks like it will probably require an update to 10.5.4 and Tiger will probably have a separate small update that maintains this info. All will run in the background from startup.

Comment

newyorksole

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
The iTunes name is very famous and popular, I don't really see Apple changing the name anytime soon. I like the name too. Even though there are alot more things in iTunes other than "tunes".

Comment

solipsism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2008
Im not surprised but still Im REALLY thinking iTunes is gonna need a new name soon. iTUNE's doesnt really fit anymore.

It's a well known trademark and brand name. The origins mean nothing. We don't change Coke to Cafke now that cocaine is no longer the make stimulant. The only time you should rebrand a name is if the product has failed. Just to look to MS' attempt at branding music and how many times they've switched names.

Beyond that, I'm sure Apple never expected iTunes and iPod to have become as popular as it did and would probably have chosen a different name if they could go back.

Comment

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
I don't think they would change it either, but Apple surprised us with MobileMe. I think iMedia (won't happen because of MediaCenter) would be more appropriate. Who knows, if they do change it, Apple will surprise us on the name.

EDIT: On the iTunes 7.7, it looks the same, hopefully Apple gives us iTunes 8 with a bad azz interface. iTunes 7 is a little boring although very good at what it does.

Comment

puercaeli

macrumors regular
May 10, 2008
End of iTunes and Beginning of iPort?

I think name change will be inevitable at some point.
Although the brand recognition is huge, I think Apple prefers to convey what application does in the application's name.

Also, I hope we see the 'disc mode' option finally being activated...

Comment

Lepton

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2002
Cold Spring Harbor, NY
Has there been a significant uptick in terms of devs getting letters letting them into the AppStore? I havent seen any evidence of that, and I still haven't got mine....
I haven't got in either, and with 2 apps in the wings I'm a little steamed. I had hoped they'd open up to more developers at WWDC, but was there even a peep about that?

[Just realized this month is my 40th anniversary working with computers, touched my first in 1968. A timesharing system hooked to an ASR-33. Yikes!]

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.