Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hiphopboy

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2011
**** ! Near time on Media Event on Oct, 4 and they still try release more beta ! For what :-<

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
**** ! Near time on Media Event on Oct, 4 and they still try release more beta ! For what :-<

Because they will talk about Match at the event but not release it until later.

Or they'll release it full of bugs, but let's hope not.

DaffyDuck

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
Also, will they add a feature that allows users to select which songs are matched and uploaded? I'm sure I'm not the only one who has things that I just don't want in the cloud (much less taking up the space or wasting time uploading). Seems like a necessary feature but still no sign of it, doesn't make me optimistic.

Option-click iTunes icon. Create new library. Turn on Match. Open old library in Finder. Drag songs in and update Match.

----------

I think it's got another couple of months to go folks.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Option-click iTunes icon. Create new library. Turn on Match. Open old library in Finder. Drag songs in and update Match.

----------

I think it's got another couple of months to go folks.

So do you mean that's the workaround for right now? Or that's what will be needed for the real release? Because having to do that would be a much bigger negative than any benefit Match provides.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
Well, this kind of dashes my hopes that iOS 5 will come out next week. :(

EDIT: And yes, I figured it wouldn't be out...which is why I put "hopes" in my original post. Sheeh, downvote me because I showed a little disappointment why don't ya...

The GM will be given to the developers at lease one, but more likely two weeks before going to everyone else. There are lot of apps that need to be updated in the store first. Apple has to approve everyone of them...

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
The GM will be given to the developers at lease one, but more likely two weeks before going to everyone else. There are lot of apps that need to be updated in the store first. Apple has to approve everyone of them...

Which is why the GM has to land today, not in 4 days at the keynote, if the rumored release dates are even possible.

It's basically all hinges on today. If the GM is seeded today, then at the keynote they will acknowledge it and say we're accepting Apps starting today (on the 4th). They'll go on to announce that iCloud and iOS 5 will be released on Oct. 10th/11th. And iPhone 5 Oct. 14th.

gusnyc

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2007
New York City
Which is why the GM has to land today, not in 4 days at the keynote, if the rumored release dates are even possible.

It's basically all hinges on today. If the GM is seeded today, then at the keynote they will acknowledge it and say we're accepting Apps starting today (on the 4th). They'll go on to announce that iCloud and iOS 5 will be released on Oct. 10th/11th. And iPhone 5 Oct. 14th.

I don't think the GM will be released today, because it will include functionality related to the new hardware that was not announced yet.

I think it will come the day of the keynote and developers will have 10 days to test their apps on the final version of iOS5, until the iPhone and iOS5 are released on Friday, October 14th.

That's my prediction.

isomorphic

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
I know this post will be downvoted, but iTunes already has trouble finding album artwork for CDs ripped with iTunes, of music that is already in the iTunes store. That doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in Match.*

Nevertheless, I will be first in line for iTunes Match (I love the concept)... but I anticipate a good quantity of mismatched tracks.

Fortunately it will be in Apple's best interest to make sure the matching works well, because otherwise they'll be storing a metric crapload of redundant music.

*If Match does prove to work well, then can we get a "Fix My Broken Tags" feature? And improve the artwork downloads?

kiwiboi87

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2011
New Zealand
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

ToM7 said:
what about itunes 11?...
steve come back

I was expecting iTunes11 for this weeks meda event, they usually push a new iTunes each year.
With a new look and feel.

They can still push a GM of iOS5 today, but have features hidden and turned off untill Tuesday, when they push a 2nd GM. Point of that? Give you wonderful app makers some time to start upgrading your apps

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
They can still push a GM of iOS5 today, but have features hidden and turned off untill Tuesday, when they push a 2nd GM. Point of that? Give you wonderful app makers some time to start upgrading your apps

The only reason you release a 2nd GM is due to a critical bug. GM's are feature complete builds that are not classified as beta's or RC's. You don't disable things in a GM (to keep them a secret) - they are intended to be the final release. App developers need a fully functioning OS.

At most we might get another beta of iOS - if anything, the GM will be announced at the keynote like it was last year.

Any sort of GM is going to be feature complete unless it's something that will not be ready by release. There won't be any "hidden things"

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
I don't think the GM will be released today, because it will include functionality related to the new hardware that was not announced yet.

I think it will come the day of the keynote and developers will have 10 days to test their apps on the final version of iOS5, until the iPhone and iOS5 are released on Friday, October 14th.

That's my prediction.

My thoughts exactly! That's what has happened in the past, so why change? Plus, the new features in the GM will only be released after these have been shown at the keynote, part of the surprise factor...

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
iTunes already has trouble finding album artwork for CDs ripped with iTunes, of music that is already in the iTunes store. That doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in Match.

Exactly what I've said on previous threads about Match. It's not rocket science and yet album artwork fails for tracks that are in the iTunes store and named exactly the same way.

I know this post will be down voted...

You know, starting with a comment like that is probably the likeliest way to get a post down voted...

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Will there be iTunes Match and iTunes 10.5 for Leopard/G5 users?

At this point we don't know that it will be available for 10.6, although that seems likely. But they still support 10.5 with the latest iTunes, my guess is either they finally dump PPC or they update iTunes but without Match for those machines since that feature is part of iCloud and it's very unlikely they'd go to the trouble of making the cloud stuff work on those old machines.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.