Apple Seeds Mac OS X 10.3.9 7W77

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Wednesday night, Apple seeded Mac OS X 10.3.9 7W77 to developers. The new seed appears to only contain minor changes to the latest OS X revision with bug fixes for audio drivers, firewire video capture performance improvements, and wake from sleep fixes.

Areas of testing include AFPServer file transfers, BlueTooth, DVD Player, Date and Time
Utilities, FireWire devices, Fonts, Mail, iDisk Syncing, Modems (internal and external), Networking, Printing, Safari, Sleep tests, Terminal, USB Devices, and general system usability & reliability.

The previous seed (7W72) was issued on Feb 26th.

Speculation on the release as well as the final Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) release remain active topics of conversation amongst the Mac faithful. Tiger will be a major topic for developers at WWDC 2005 which takes place between June 6-10 in San Francisco.

quackattack

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Boise, ID
Lets hurry up and get 10.3.9 out. The way I see it this is just one step closer to Tiger! At this rate I probably wouldn't expect a 10.3.10.

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
wow, pretty fast I guess, nevermind... 10.3.10 here we go and ... Tigerrrr!! Have had some Bluetooth issues when I change network locations continuously , Steve, I mean, apple received a feedback from me already...

Steven1621

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2003
Connecticut
It seems pretty clear to me and most others here that we can expect Tiger at WWDC. If I recall correctly, wouldn't developers get a "gold master" edition before it comes out to the public? We would know if that was the case, so it is safe to say the present time frame points to June/WWDC.

MegaSignal

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2003
"...and wake from sleep fixes."

Gawd - ya think?

One would've hoped that by now all that "wake from sleep" trouble would have been fixed by now.

Perhaps in Tiger they will be. Either that or we'll be starting all over again from scratch. <shudder>

cyanide

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2005
Chicago
yeh ill be there in the morning, just give me a call and let me know that you actually got up. yep. yeh no problem. okay, g'night. haha... whatever, i won't be late i promise. yeh.. i know which restaraunt. just call me, dork. lol. love you too. good night.

tmornini

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
San Francisco
MegaSignal said:
One would've hoped that by now all that "wake from sleep" trouble would have been fixed by now.
You know what's weird?

I've had approximately zero wake from sleep issues, or any other issues not universally present (SMB networking, for instance), in previous builds of OS X.

Until 10.3.8. I've locked up twice waking from sleep since it was installed.

Funny that 10.3.8 had fixes for a problem I had never experienced, and the fixes made me experience the original problem!

Well, at least they poked it good and hard. When chasing an intermittent bug, it's one of the best ways to get a handle on the problem.

Mac-Xpert

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2003
The Netherlands
Fan noise being addressed?

I haven't seen any mentioning of the G5 fan-noise / fan behavior issue in this update. Does anyone know if this is fixed in 10.3.9? If it isn't I won't update. The 2.5 GHz G5 is noisy enough already in 10.3.4 that I'm currently running. I really don't like to get the increased noise that 10.3.8 seems to introduce.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
MegaSignal said:

Perhaps in Tiger they will be. Either that or we'll be starting all over again from scratch. <shudder>
You probably gonna have to start from scratch... but possibly with a new and totally unforseen problem... :p

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Steven1621 said:
It seems pretty clear to me and most others here that we can expect Tiger at WWDC. If I recall correctly, wouldn't developers get a "gold master" edition before it comes out to the public? We would know if that was the case, so it is safe to say the present time frame points to June/WWDC.
The developers might not get told that a release was a candidate for the golden master until after it was decided. And as I recall - for Jaguar and Panther, there were rumors/leaks/hints when the release candidates started happening.

Another clue to impending release is when the beta releases start having very small increments between the version numbers. For example, with 10.3.9 with the build going from 7W72 to 7W77 it seems to indicate 10.3.9 could happen within a couple of weeks, especially if the next build sent to developers is 7W78 or 7W79.

So while this lack of information points to an announcement 2 to3 months away, it could happen sooner.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
ziwi said:
Quick seeds - something is up - Tiger may be out sooner than WWDC.
This is 10.3.9 seeds and not ones for Tiger. You have to look at Tiger seeds to even fake a conclusion about when Tiger will be released, never mind drawing real conclusions.

AppleAce

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2005
USA
Mac-Xpert said:
I haven't seen any mentioning of the G5 fan-noise / fan behavior issue in this update. Does anyone know if this is fixed in 10.3.9? If it isn't I won't update. The 2.5 GHz G5 is noisy enough already in 10.3.4 that I'm currently running. I really don't like to get the increased noise that 10.3.8 seems to introduce.
Did you ever install the 10.3.8 update on your machine? Or haven't you because of what you've read in the forums? From what I've read, it's the Dual 2.0's that are having the problems. The 2.5 owners have said that 10.3.8 fixed their fans. I have a DP 2.5 G5, and 10.3.8 made my fans the quietest they've ever been. When I ran Seti@Home with 10.3.4-10.3.7 the fans would almost constantly rev up and down and up and down ever 10 seconds or so. But with 10.3.8 the only time the fans come up is when i first start Folding or open Seti, the initial ramp up from 0 processor load to 100%. But after that, the fans quiet back down to their previous state.

If you are able to clone your hard drive, so you have something to revert to, and you have the time to spare, I would suggest that you install the 10.3.8 update if you haven't already tried it.

zanuzan

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2002
AppleAce said:
Did you ever install the 10.3.8 update on your machine? Or haven't you because of what you've read in the forums? From what I've read, it's the Dual 2.0's that are having the problems. The 2.5 owners have said that 10.3.8 fixed their fans. I have a DP 2.5 G5, and 10.3.8 made my fans the quietest they've ever been. When I ran Seti@Home with 10.3.4-10.3.7 the fans would almost constantly rev up and down and up and down ever 10 seconds or so. But with 10.3.8 the only time the fans come up is when i first start Folding or open Seti, the initial ramp up from 0 processor load to 100%. But after that, the fans quiet back down to their previous state.

If you are able to clone your hard drive, so you have something to revert to, and you have the time to spare, I would suggest that you install the 10.3.8 update if you haven't already tried it.

Well 10.3.8 made my dual 2.5 louder than hell. Switching my processor performance to maximum helped a bit but 10.3.7 was much quieter.

cheers

AppleAce

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2005
USA
zanuzan said:
Well 10.3.8 made my dual 2.5 louder than hell. Switching my processor performance to maximum helped a bit but 10.3.7 was much quieter.

cheers
Ah, well you're the first one whom I've read about having fan problems with a 2.5 from 10.3.8. I guess it is possible :rolleyes:

Lord Bodak

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2003
Chesapeake, VA USA
10.3.8 didn't fix the low battery warning-- my PowerBook still just goes to sleep on its own with no warning when the battery gets low enough. This was introduced in 10.3.6 or 10.3.7, can't remember... but I'm amazed 10.3.8 didn't fix it. I sure hope 10.3.9 does.

mcdermd

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2004
If this finally fixes my PB panic, lockup and non-responsiveness when waking from sleep, I'll be a happy guy.

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
tmornini said:
Funny that 10.3.8 had fixes for a problem I had never experienced, and the fixes made me experience the original problem!
Ever since 10.3.8 neither my G5 nor my AlumiBook will go to sleep on their own.

Anyone else have this issue...it's terribly annoying.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Would prefer that they don't rush the 10.3.9. It would be best to fix as many bugs as possible

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Each new update brings on a whole new set of problems. Anyone remember 10.2.8 and the disaster that was firewire?