Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

144043-snow_leopard_question.jpg

We've received word that Apple has seeded a new version of Mac OS X 10.6.5, termed Build 10H555, to at least a portion of its Mac developer community for testing. The new release comes two weeks after Build 10H548 was pushed out for testing.

Apple continues to list no documented known issues with the update, and asks developers to focus their testing on 3D Graphics, Printing, QuickTime, Time Machine, and USB Devices.

Mac OS X 10.6.4 was released in mid-June, and the first developer version of Mac OS X 10.6.5 was seeded in mid-August. With two months of developer testing and refinement under its belt and a continued lack of documented issues remaining in recent builds, Mac OS X 10.6.5 may be nearing a public release. Apple's development schedule is unpredictable, however, and it is consequently difficult to say with any degree of certainty when such a release might occur.

Apple of course appears set to begin discussing the Mac OS X 10.7, the company's next major update to its Mac operating system, at a media event scheduled for next Wednesday. A public launch of Mac OS X 10.7 is, however, likely quite some time in the future.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Mac OS X 10.6.5 Build 10H555 to Developers

cav23j

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2008
Builds:

August 13
August 19
August 26
September 2
September 14
September 30
October 14

Public Release October 20?

improvements documented in Build H542 (September 14)

- improve reliability with Microsoft Exchange servers
- resolve a delay between print jobs
- address a printing issue for some HP printers connected to an Airport Extreme
- resolve an issue when dragging contacts from Address Book to iCal
- address an issue where dragging an item from a stack causes the Dock to not automatically hide
- add SSL support for uploading files to iDisk
- resolve an issue with Wikipedia information not displaying correctly in Dictionary
- improve performance of MainStage on certain Mac systems
- resolve spacing issues with OpenType fonts
- improve reliability with some Bluetooth braille displays
- resolve a VoiceOver issue when browsing some web sites with Safari 5
- address stability and performance of graphics applications and games

jimoase

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2007
Mail Rules extending off screen work around

Persistence... OSX is the persistent pursuit excellence...

Here is an interesting place to continue the effort... Mail/preferences/rules

What should be a simple fix...

When 25 or more rules are entered the Rules window will extend off the bottom of the screen taking the control buttons out of view... (return key will active Accept which closes the unruly window)

This problem has been verified repeatedly by Apple Geniuses, Apple phone techs and many of you readers since OSX 10.4 release date.

Persistence will penetrate Apple's consciousness to get this nuisance fixed.

Jim

PowerGamerX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2009
All I want is the improved graphics drivers.

Edit: It would also be nice to get some alternate account support in iChat (for Skype and such).

VinitaBoy

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2007
"I wish FaceTime in iChat would be one of the updates."

I'm so far from being a lawyer it isn't funny, BAM . . . but can Apple legally add such a sweeping new feature to an existing product (for "free") without running afoul of Sarbanes-Oxley?

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
I wonder if there's going to really be an improvement in 3D performance, I seem to remember someone saying that it was just the same drivers as from the Snow Leopard Graphics Update.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
10.6 needs better builds, and it might be a really good OS by the time 10.7 comes out.

10.7 won't come out on the 20th. They tend to talk about it for 6 months or so before release. I bet 10.7 comes out between Feb. '11 and June '11. Maybe even later.

And then a prudent waiting period of 9 months is recommended before concerned computer users actually install it.

Master Chief

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
This may as well be the GM release, but maybe Apple will surprise us, again, and have another Graphics update :D

And 10.7 is booked for (late) November. Not next year.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
+1

I need Safari not to crash all the f*&#$%^& time, keep getting the spinning beachball ever so often in the last few weeks.

I had that problem when I upgraded to SL until I found that all the FLASH plugins and preferences were the root cause. I cleared them out or disabled Flash and ever since then SL has been great for me. Flash affected Safari, iMovie, Mail and a few other apps too. Gmail in Safari using Flash was the biggest cause of Safari crashes for me.

Pentad

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2003
Indiana
Maybe we'll get this update on the 20th?

I hate flash...I really do. Safari has been hanging much more with the beta of the 64 bit version of flash lately.

I also wish the graphic drivers were on par with Windows. I can compile something on both Windows and Mac, and graphically I can get 10 to 15 FPS if I run it on Windows.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Master Chief said:
This may as well be the GM release, but maybe Apple will surprise us, again, and have another Graphics update :D

And 10.7 is booked for (late) November. Not next year.

Um, no it's not- do you have a source for that? We've never even heard of 10.7 yet

LouieSamman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Orlando, Florida
This is going to be a good update and the last until 10.7 comes out I believe

Hopefully after this update they come out with a nice update for Safari

I feel Apple isn't coming out with enough updates to Safari.

It's by far my favorite updates to see on the OS X since I use it a lot and love to see it become faster at browsing.

I'm hoping 10.7 will have some UI changes to Safari. I like to see change once an awhile.

LouieSamman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Orlando, Florida
I seriously doubt that. 10.7 won't be released for some time yet. They haven't even given developers a seed of it.

It Just seems that apple has taken a long time with 10.6.5 due to getting it right and because of this move it shows that it could be the last.

Even if 10.7 doesn't come out until 4-6 months

If ever there might be just one last update to OS X after 10.6.5 before 10.7

Žalgiris

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Lithuania
No one has seen 10.7 outside of Apple yet. It will take several months after the initial seed at the very minimum to get most apps ready.

I mean if they demo at least something it's one thing, if they just talk API and features and ideas thats another thing. That event will make guessing game easier or maybe they will give ~ETA.

BlackLilyNinja

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2004
graphics

now that the wow patch is out you will get an idea as to what the new graphics update in 10.6.5 is.

the dev's are telling the players with new 27 inch iMacs (quad core) and mac pros the new water engine isn't fully supported until the next os x update (it actually says it in the settings). They said that they are using the new GLL instead of the old openGL backend. However some of the players that are using 10.6.5 dev seeds are claiming the graphic/game frame-rates are taking a huge dump on full ultra settings dropping from 90 to 15.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.