Apple Seeds Mac OS X 10.6.7 Build 10J868 to Developers

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

As noted by 9 to 5 Mac, Apple yesterday seeded a seventh build of Mac OS X 10.6.7 to registered Mac developers. The new 10J868 build comes nearly two weeks after the previous seed.

As with the last several builds, Apple lists no known issues and asks developers to focus their testing on Safari, Mac App Store, AirPort, Bonjour, SMB, and Graphics Drivers. The new build also remains at nearly the same size as the previous one, suggesting that Apple may be primarily tweaking things at this point rather than making substantial additions to the update.

Apple began seeding Mac OS X 10.6.7 builds in late January, two weeks after the public launch of Mac OS X 10.6.6 to support the Mac App Store.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Mac OS X 10.6.7 Build 10J868 to Developers

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Release this week maybe? 10.6.4 and 10.6.5 were out a couple of days after their final betas.

RichardBeer

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2009
England
I'm not building my expectations but heres hoping that the graphic drivers will bring a performance increase for 3D apps. I'd have liked to have seen OpenGL 3.2 support in Snow Leopard but that's probably only going to be in Lion.

whychr

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
i7 Freezing Issue

Maybe this update will fix the i7 freezing issue, I'm getting so annoyed with it!

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Considering the newest version of 10.6.6 on the new MBPs support TRIM, anyone else think that 10.6.7 might provide TRIM for all other models?

kdum8

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Hear's to hoping that Apple finally fix the spaces freezing issue, although I am not going to hold my breath...

WiLLGT09

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2007
I'm at work and can't update. Has anyone installed this latest seed and found TRIM support enabled (at least on Apple SSDs)?

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Considering the newest version of 10.6.6 on the new MBPs support TRIM, anyone else think that 10.6.7 might provide TRIM for all other models?
Exactly my question. At the very least it seems like they should support for Apple SSDs but really there's no reason not to get it in for third party ones as well.

dakwar

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2010
I'm actually really happy with 10.6.6. It behaves as expected and hasn't crashed on me yet (knock on wood). But I'm still really excited about 10.6.7, just to see what further improvements it has!

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Exactly my question. At the very least it seems like they should support for Apple SSDs but really there's no reason not to get it in for third party ones as well.
As long as they just give support for TRIM, it shouldn't matter what SSD you use, correct? And as far as I know, Apple uses Samsung SSDs, some of the worst out there.

WiLLGT09

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2007
As long as they just give support for TRIM, it shouldn't matter what SSD you use, correct? And as far as I know, Apple uses Samsung SSDs, some of the worst out there.
I thought they were Toshiba SSDs? I could be wrong.

Also, from what I understand, some types of SSD (SandForce ones) don't need TRIM, is that correct?

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
I thought they were Toshiba SSDs? I could be wrong.

Also, from what I understand, some types of SSD (SandForce ones) don't need TRIM, is that correct?
I think you may be right about Toshiba, either way they use terrible SSDs. But SF based ones have built in garbage collection. It works well, but it's still not as good as actual TRIM support.

tibi08

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
Brighton, UK
Is there really nobody testing this release who can confirm whether it has TRIM support for third party SSDs or not? I've just slammed a Intel 510 in my MBP and it needs some TRIMming... :)

Update: Oh yeah I forgot they are allegedly planning to limit the TRIM support to Apple SSDs :(

Last edited:

WiLLGT09

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2007
That is by far the stupidest thing I have ever heard :( That is gonna suck if thats true. Where did you hear that?
Nothing's been said. The only thing going around is that the OS X Lion pre-release has TRIM enabled, but it only currently works for Apple's SSDs. Nothing is set in stone.

tibi08

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
Brighton, UK
Nothing's been said. The only thing going around is that the OS X Lion pre-release has TRIM enabled, but it only currently works for Apple's SSDs. Nothing is set in stone.
That's not entirely true. The new 2011 MBPs which ship have TRIM support in 10.6, but if you swap the HDD to a non-Apple SDD, the TRIM support no longer works.

AFAIK Lion will support TRIM on all compatible SSDs, we just don't know if it will come to Snow Leopard or not.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
That's not entirely true. The new 2011 MBPs which ship have TRIM support in 10.6, but if you swap the HDD to a non-Apple SDD, the TRIM support no longer works.

AFAIK Lion will support TRIM on all compatible SSDs, we just don't know if it will come to Snow Leopard or not.
What if you swap an Apple SSD with a third party SSD on the new MBPs? Anybody try that yet?

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
Release this week maybe? 10.6.4 and 10.6.5 were out a couple of days after their final betas.
Given the rumours of a Safari update before the pwn2own competition and 10.6.7 including an updated version of Safari (6533.20.28) I wouldn't be surprised if it were some time tomorrow.

I'm not building my expectations but heres hoping that the graphic drivers will bring a performance increase for 3D apps. I'd have liked to have seen OpenGL 3.2 support in Snow Leopard but that's probably only going to be in Lion.
Given how heavily OpenGL is embedded into the whole stack I doubt you'll see an OpenGL upgrade in mid product cycle - change one thing at the bottom and the whole edifice needs re-testing from the ground update. It would be akin to Microsoft re-writing GDI on top of DirectX and releasing it in mid-cycle - far too many applications rely on it to make such a massively risky decision.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.