Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the ninth beta of the upcoming tvOS 17 beta to developers for testing purposes, with the update coming a week after Apple debuted the eighth beta.

apple-tv-4k-yellow-bg-feature.jpg

Registered developers are able to download the tvOS 17 update by opting in to the beta through the Settings app on the Apple TV. A registered developer account is required.

tvOS updates don't typically garner as much attention as updates to iOS and macOS, and are never as feature rich, but tvOS 17 brings FaceTime to the TV for the first time. The Apple TV 4K can connect to an iPhone or iPad that serves as the camera, with the FaceTime interface showing up on the TV's screen.

All of the FaceTime features are available, including Center Stage to keep you front and center, plus there are new gesture-based reactions that let you use your hands to generate on-screen effects. For example, if you make a heart with your hands, the screen will display hearts.

Split View for Apple TV lets users watch television with friends and family using SharePlay, and there are controls for transferring calls between the TV and an iPhone or iPad as needed. Third-party apps like Zoom will also be able to take advantage of this functionality, so those apps will also work on the TV screen.

Control Center on Apple TV has been revamped and it is easier for users to access key settings and information, plus there is a new feature that allows the iPhone to locate a Siri Remote that's been misplaced.

tvOS also features a range of new aerial screen savers, adds support for third-party VPN apps, introduces Dolby Vision 8.1 on compatible devices, and more. Details can be found in our Apple TV roundup.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Ninth Beta of tvOS 17 to Developers

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
If TVOS updates are minor in scope, why are they officially released with everything else. That basically leads me to the question of why are there 9 betas for a TVOS release. It doesn't seem like this software changes that much and I would think releasing something that is minor first (maybe a week before everything else) would be much better to not overwhelm the servers.

Kissmo1980

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2021
I hope for me it fixes the appearance automatic switching. It’s always set to Dark Mode.

macmac30

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2015
I have developed a problem with my latest gen Apple TV with tvOS17 which is connected to a 75" 2019 Samsung TV (UN75RU8000FXZA) with firmware 1401. Sound is directed to a Vizio soundbar with woofer. After several days of watching Youtube, Netflix, Plex, and Apple TV - All sound is missing when I try to watch Netflix or Plex. Apple TV and Youtube apps have sound. If I select a HomePod for sound output, I get sound on that device but not when I switch back to the default. If I reboot the Apple TV, it doesn't help. The fix is to power cycle the TV. What's weird is this TV hasn't had any firmware updates for well over a year but this problem just started a few months ago with tvOS17. Any ideas??? It's hugely annoying! I just installed the latest 354a tvOS17 update.

Last edited:

McEntireFan93

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2008
CT
I have developed a problem with my latest get Apple TV with tvOS17 which is connected to a 75" 2019 Samsung TV (UN75RU8000FXZA). After several days of watching Youtube, Netflix, Plex, and Apple TV - All sound is missing when I try to watch Netflix or Plex. Apple TV and Youtube apps have sound. If I reboot the Apple TV, it doesn't help. The fix is to power cycle the TV. What's weird is this TV hasn't had any firmware updates for well over a year but this problem just started a few months ago with tvOS17. Any ideas??? It's hugely annoying!
I suddenly started having issues where it takes a bit for the sound to work on the Apple TV. My TV has a soundbar, I'll notice it where on the home screen it doesn't always make the sound as I move around on the home screen. Stupidly I'll do the up and down arrow on the volume for the Apple TV remote and suddenly something realizes the volume doesn't work and I'm good for a bit.

MrWeenus

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2017
Romania
Seeing your guys’ issues with sound, I am actually grateful that I’m not alone, since I also did a TV firmware update recently. I have been going crazy thinking the TV is at fault, since it does not support downgrades.

But yes, this is bad, Apple!

Last edited:

armandxp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Orlando, FL

Apple today seeded the ninth beta of the upcoming tvOS 17 beta to developers for testing purposes, with the update coming a week after Apple debuted the eighth beta.

apple-tv-4k-yellow-bg-feature.jpg

Registered developers are able to download the tvOS 17 update by opting in to the beta through the Settings app on the Apple TV. A registered developer account is required.

tvOS updates don't typically garner as much attention as updates to iOS and macOS, and are never as feature rich, but tvOS 17 brings FaceTime to the TV for the first time. The Apple TV 4K can connect to an iPhone or iPad that serves as the camera, with the FaceTime interface showing up on the TV's screen.

All of the FaceTime features are available, including Center Stage to keep you front and center, plus there are new gesture-based reactions that let you use your hands to generate on-screen effects. For example, if you make a heart with your hands, the screen will display hearts.

Split View for Apple TV lets users watch television with friends and family using SharePlay, and there are controls for transferring calls between the TV and an iPhone or iPad as needed. Third-party apps like Zoom will also be able to take advantage of this functionality, so those apps will also work on the TV screen.

Control Center on Apple TV has been revamped and it is easier for users to access key settings and information, plus there is a new feature that allows the iPhone to locate a Siri Remote that's been misplaced.

tvOS also features a range of new aerial screen savers, adds support for third-party VPN apps, introduces Dolby Vision 8.1 on compatible devices, and more. Details can be found in our Apple TV roundup.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Ninth Beta of tvOS 17 to Developers
Remote finder active, maybe??

applefanboysince93

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2018
Seeing your guys’ issues with sound, I am actually grateful that I’m not alone, since I also did a TV firmware update recently. I have been going crazy thinking the TV is at fault, since it does not support downgrades.

But yes, this is bad, Apple!
Anyone else noticing weird pitch distortions listening to audio on iOS 17 beta 8?

MrMetro

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2009
I have developed a problem with my latest get Apple TV with tvOS17 which is connected to a 75" 2019 Samsung TV (UN75RU8000FXZA) with firmware 1401. Sound is directed to a Vizio soundbar with woofer. After several days of watching Youtube, Netflix, Plex, and Apple TV - All sound is missing when I try to watch Netflix or Plex. Apple TV and Youtube apps have sound. If I select a HomePod for sound output, I get sound on that device but not when I switch back to the default. If I reboot the Apple TV, it doesn't help. The fix is to power cycle the TV. What's weird is this TV hasn't had any firmware updates for well over a year but this problem just started a few months ago with tvOS17. Any ideas??? It's hugely annoying! I just installed the latest 354a tvOS17 update.
I have the same issue with the latest update! Hopefully they fixed it. Drove me nuts for a couple days trying to isolate the issue

MistrSynistr

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2014
Seriously am I going crazy or did they remove that Speech Clarity function after the first Public Beta? Where is it? There used to be a toggle under sound to turn it on for Homepods and it's gone now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.