Apple Seeds OS X Lion 10.7.4 Build 11E46

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Aquaporin macrumors 6502

We can only wish...

2. iBug2 macrumors 68040

Snow Leopard initial release was not bug free, not even close. It had a lot of bugs which had been fixed by the time of 10.6.2 and then some more by 10.6.4.

3. wikus macrumors 68000

wikus

And it turned out to be Apple's best OS at 10.6.8, only 10.4.11 comes close. Lion is a disaster.

4. Stevamundo macrumors 6502

Stevamundo

Sorry, but I don't want to spend even $29 bucks for Apple to fix THEIR OWN BUGS. That's what the point upgrades are for (like 10.7.4, 10.7.5 and so on.) Well, that how things USED to be at least!

BTW, I really like Lion. I never had a problem with Lion and I have it installed on three of my Macs. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE mission control! Don't you know that you still can use expose with it easily too? Oh well, I guess that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

The only thing that I don't like is Apple's new concept of having a new version of OS X every year. As I said before, to me that's very risky.

5. cammonro macrumors member

I think Lion is pretty awesome but it's far from perfect.

I have a very simple idea for improving Mission Control. Make it work just like Photos in the iPad. Pinch out 2 fingers (not 4 - why is that necessary?) and it takes you into App Expose. Pinch in and you're back to Mission Control.

Beyond that, allow users to name and sort the desktops the way they want and support moving windows across displays as well as desktops. Fix the flashing bug when you assign an app to "All Desktops".

Allow developers like Mizage (creators of the very awesome and indispensable Divvy) to hook into APIs so you can send windows to another Desktop with a keystroke. (Or do it better yourself Apple.)

LaunchPad is nifty but the bugginess of it raises the hair on my neck. It should be an embarrassment to Apple that at version 10.7.3 it still doesn't remember the way you sort your icons. (Does anyone know if this has been fixed in 10.7.4 or 10.8?) Could you imagine if your iPhone or iPad did that?

There should be a checkbox in Preferences for Full Screen apps that says "Apply to primary display only" or something like that. If I have two displays there's no reason my second display should be rendered useless by Full Screen mode. It's not Full Screens mode after all.

Lastly, if I hide (CMD-H) an app it should move to the end of the CMD-TAB queue not the second spot. (The way it worked in Snow Leopard) The very fact that I'm hiding it means I probably don't need it for a while.

6. Negritude macrumors 6502

My main Lion bugs, which may or may not be Lion-specific, have to do with three things:

1. Slow Finder response.

I have directories with hundreds of files and programs, and Lion often takes foreever just to be able to show me a simple directory listing. Even after showing me the directory, it then takes longer to show all the icons. I have 8GB of RAM and plenty of hard disk space.

2. Inconsistent Desktop Icon Display

On my desktop, Lion often gives me blank spaces where custom folder icons should be displayed. The icons don't show until I give them a slight nudge.

3. Sometimes the dock freezes and can take several minutes to become responsive again. This can happen immediately after a multi-file copy operation.

I actually like Lion, but there's something about the Finder and the background processing possibly related to versioning that has slowed the OS down for certain things. Lion is trying to do too much, and they haven't yet optimized the code to deal with any but the most basic setups.

Anyone else noticed these issues or anything similar?

7. Donka macrumors 68030

Donka

I recently moved over to Mac from Windows 7 and Lion is my first Mac OS. This is the only thing I have found that annoys me about the OS. Plug in a USB pendrive and I need to wait for finder to display the list of files on it. Same when I connect to my NAS. Windows was pretty much instant in this respect. Otherwise I have found Lion to be pretty much rock solid on my late 2011 Macbook Pro 13. I rarely if ever had any stability issues on Windows 7 but it is just nice to now have a machine that is not constantly doing upgrades in the background and alerting me to this, that and the next thing.

8. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

Have they fixed the bug where Steve Jobs is still listed as alive in the Dictionary application?

9. milo macrumors 604

I suspect part of the reason is that going to 10.8 gives them the excuse to dump support for early 64 bit intel macs.

Hopefully the hackintosh guys will be able to get it working on that hardware.

10. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

No more support for Core 2 systems (and Core 2 based Xeons)? That would be surprising to shift to only supporting Nehalem and later.

[​IMG] (click for Intel architecture roadmap)

Or maybe one shouldn't be surprised by any steps that Apple takes for planned obsolescence....

11. ncaissie macrumors 6502a

ncaissie

I have and it only started recently. Probably the last update. It's driving me crazy.

Edit: That is on my 15" 2011 Macbook Pro with the latest OS (Not the beta).

----------

I'm also having a problem where I have a blank icon in the apps section that I can’t remove. It is just a white square.

12. milo macrumors 604

Nope, they dumped support for any machine that had 32 bit EFI, if it can't boot into the 64 bit kernel it can't run 10.8. The first beta could be hacked to run since the 32 bit code was there just disabled, but the second beta removed all the 32 bit code, not sure if anyone has managed to get it working.

Bit of a kick in the teeth to anyone who bought one of those machines on Apple's sales pitch of it being a 64 bit machine.

13. coolspot18 macrumors 65816

Bluetooth seems broken in Lion... multiple bluetooth headphones I own don't work consistently in OS X Lion.

On Apple's support forums seems to be a common problem.

14. thekeyring macrumors 68040

I agree with you.
    Apple would be amazing if they offered Mountain Lion as a free upgrade for Lion users though, and a $29.99 upgrade for SL users. Doubt it'll happen though.

15. canman4PM macrumors 6502

canman4PM

Nor does my 2008.

16. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Amen to that.

Well, Lion is working and running without the bugs so many complain about. That's something at least. :)

// Teeth Kicked

17. antimax macrumors newbie

Suddenly can't login to my computer...

Lion was working great for the past few days that I've had my brand-new Mac Mini,until I restarted it last night, only to find that upon startup, I am no longer allowed to login to my user account... what?!?

It tells me this: "logging in to the account failed because an error occurred"

That's it. Can't access my computer anymore. Making me start to think that Lion is a serious POS...

Called Apple, only to have them give me instructions which I have already tried myself... anyone have any suggestions? Or just "F" Lion? Ha...

18. canman4PM macrumors 6502

canman4PM

Most of us are happy with our Macs. And for the most part it does "Just Work." Keep in mind this is a forum populated by a number of very heavy-duty users. Both in terms of how "geeky" they are about it (modifyers, tweakers, etc) and how heavily computer-driven their work is (Photographers, CAD-types, Video Editors, etc). One guy mentioned a dual-screen bug - something 99% of us will never encounter as we don't have dual-screen systems. I've been a Mac user (at home) since 2008 (Leopard) and have had few issues. Mostly minor annoyances. I have used nearly every version of MS DOS/Windows since Dos 5.0 (at work only since 2008) and found most of them to be buggier by far than any version of OSX. They have to pay me to use a Windows computer.

As one member of this forum said (in a thread about glossy vs anti-glare screens), when asked why he had a Mac if he hated it so much, he said he didn't hate it at all. But that didn't mean he didn't wish some things worked even better or were just different.

Let go of your anger and hate; join the light side... <snicker>

19. canman4PM macrumors 6502

canman4PM

I think this is coming. More and more OSX and iOS integration, touch screen iMacs and eventually:

In the Land of Cupertino where the Shadows lie.
    One OS to rule them all, One OS to find them,
    One OS to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
    In the Land of Cupertino where the Shadows lie.

(Sorry, couldn't resist...)

20. canman4PM macrumors 6502

canman4PM

Per other people's comments stating that happy people don't bitch on forums: are you sure the problems are as "widespread" as you think?

21. mdgm macrumors 6502a

I've seen numerous references to it including from a user who I know is an advanced user who even went out and bought a new MBP and still had the issue. Definitely a problem introduced by Lion and yet to be properly addressed.

22. DVD9 macrumors 6502a

Which is from 1999.

My calendar says it's 2012. Back then Macs were running a different OS too and I remember going into stores and trying them out, or trying to only to discover that it was frozen. So I would try the power button to reboot the Mac only to discover that a Mac freeze up could be a serious affair requiring that the plug be pulled.

And ME was far better than Win95 and Win98. All of them sucked big time though since they were on top of the DOS shell. That all changed with the release of Windows 2000 running the NT kernel.

To get Windows 7 to crash you have to hit the computer running it very hard with a sledgehammer. If you get a blue-screen (I last saw one back in 2000 running the OS of the same name) then you have a hardware issue, not a virus, a hardware issue.

Deal with it.

23. star-affinity macrumors 65816

star-affinity

I would suggest booting from another drive (or connect the Mac mini to another Mac via a FireWire cable, and then restart the Mac mini holding down the T key on the keyboard). Then run the software DiskWarrior to check and rebuild the directory of the drive. If that doesn't help, maybe you can restart from the install disc that came with the Mac mini (if you have one that has an optical drive) and then reset ACL's on your user account.

Like this: http://www.fixkb.com/2011/08/reset-home-folder-permissions.html

But first of all, do a backup of important files before you start. :)

Hope it helps. If not, I'm sorry.

24. canman4PM macrumors 6502

canman4PM

Ya, but at only 30 bucks a throw, every year-year and a half, to upgrade...

----------

And you can add a year or so until 10.9 comes out and another year or two for security updates to 10.8 after that. Now you're upto 8-9 years. That's not too shabby.

25. AnonMac50 macrumors 65816

Snow Leopard came about 2 years after Leopard, and Leopard, even Tiger was supported afterwards for a while.