Apple Seeds OS X Lion 10.7.4 Build 11E46

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 13, 2012.

1. RedCroissant Suspended

Memory

I am very happy with Lion but the only thing I have noticed is that my RAM isn't reallocated quickly enough and sometimes requires being put into sleep mode. I say sometimes because the only time I notice it is when I run VirtualBox.

2. blatopilot macrumors regular

Totally agree. I've spent more time "fixing" and tweaking Lion than enjoying it. Got a new motherboard in my 15 inch Macbook pro (2011) hoping that would be the end of it. It wasn't.

I'll also add syncing to the list. If you use icloud, or itunes for your phone, you have to pick a method and never change it. Graphics switching is a problem. Permissions act out. Sharing is a nightmare with my other macs and my airport extreme doesn't know what is going on. It isn't a crisis, its death by a thousand paper cuts. I'd rather the thing blow up than act up when I'm trying to get something done.

I've been thinking of going back to 10.6. I'm not sure yet.

3. bushido, Apr 14, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2012

bushido Suspended

bushido

nope what i said was that "I" dont have problems and that people that don't have problems usually don't post on a board about it, because ... well they dont have a problem ^^ therefore the issue may seem bigger than it is because again those that have no problems dont really post about it

btw, this downvoting crap is really annoying. i understand now why a "dont like" button on fb would be a bad idea hehe

4. RedCroissant Suspended

OS X/ iOS

Wouldn't it be good to incorporate iOS usability and structure into OS X? Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the smaller installation footprint and also apprize make the OS more stable and energy efficient as well? I personally like where Apple is going by utilizing iOS ideas and functionality into OS X.

5. winston1236 macrumors 68000

Its looking more like there needs to be two OS versions, one for professional users and one for everyone else. The iOS functionality going into what was an awesome OS is going to make me buy a new Mac and then be forced to wipe it for SL.sad.

6. blatopilot macrumors regular

Agreed. Lion isn't the worst thing that ever happened. Coming from Snow Leopard, the best OS experience I've ever had, there were high expectations.

At work we have some XP machines and some Windows 7 machines. Lion is much better than XP (granted that is like 20 years old now), but my Windows 7 machine is pretty good. It's RAM management is phenomenal. You can get by with 2GB in WIN7. It's seems to do what older Mac OS's used to do, handle the nitty gritty in the background and allows you to focus.

7. KPOM macrumors G5

I disagree. Lion has its bugs, and Windows 7 is very stable, but to call it a "shambles" is an overstatement. Lion made a lot more UI changes from Snow Leopard than Windows 7 did from Vista. It's mostly the differences in UI that have people annoyed. Those new to the Mac don't notice them as much.

If Microsoft pulls off a switch to Windows 8 without a hitch, that would be a major accomplishment, since it is making even more radical changes to the UI. We'll see. Early results are promising, but then again, the beta to Vista was also promising and we know how that turned out.

8. RedCroissant Suspended

2 versions.

I don't think that's necessarily true. If apps in iOS launch just as fast or even faster than they're OS X counterparts, then why not try to incorporate that? Couple that with the industry moving to SSDs in their machines, and then you have an OS that is not only very stable, but very powerful as well.

If the OS X dock code was rewritten to imitate the launch of iOS apps, I think that would make the dock even more efficient. Couldn't this also potentially decrease the amount of minimum RAM required to run the OS?

9. MikeAK macrumors regular

He didn't, he called it a shamble COMPARED to SnowL and Win7. Big difference and imo very accurate.

10. mike693 macrumors member

I have not experienced any problems due to Lion either.

11. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

Just can't stand Lion so switched both of my MacBooks to Snow Leopard. Not really using iCloud so not too bad.

12. LaWally, Apr 14, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2012

LaWally macrumors 6502a

iOS devices generate over 80% of Apple's gross profits. If I was Tim Cook, I would laugh at anyone who tried to tell me that Apple is "too concerned" with iOS. On the other hand, I would listen to anyone who tried to tell me that Apple is "not concerned enough" about [consumerizing] OSX.

EDIT:

Apple seems intent on giving us an identical user experience across all its devices. I want a consistent user experience, not an identical one.

I have a recurring nightmare that I will fire up my Mac one day and see a "home" screen with a grid of application icons.

13. cammonro macrumors member

As a heavy MobileMe user I held off on upgrading to Lion to the last possible moment. I was very much irked that Apple chose to support iCloud on Vista but not Snow Leopard. I feel this was a bit of a slap in the face to Apple loyalists especially since Lion ALSO abandons PowerPC programs forcing Apple users to make a very difficult choice and/or spend thousands of dollars more. (As if we don't spend enough.)

Once MobileMe abandonment started early (iCal sync became completely erratic, unpredictable and unreliable - shame on you Apple) I had no choice but to switch to iCloud (and therefore Lion). However, as annoyed as I am about the circumstances which forced me into this upgrade, I do feel Lion is better. I don't miss SL at all. I've been a Mac convert since 10.4 (Tiger) and I feel every version of the O/S is an improvement above the last. I also use Windows 7 for work but no way is that superior to Lion. Sorry - just don't agree. Windows will never be UNIX. (FWIW I do real work on my Mac - I'm a programmer.)

I understand some of the frustrations with the UI changes but most of it can be turned off and/or ignored. Expose is still there. I don't understand the hate for Mission Control. There must be something wrong with me because I love it. I feel Apple has finally figured out how to make sense of the window clutter. Yes it needs some tweaking but it's a first generation feature. (Remember Expose got an upgrade in Snow Leopard.) And All Apps Expose was OK but not that great guys. I work with a lot of different apps simultaneously and picking out the window I wanted from that muddle of windows was difficult. Now with MC and the gesture features I hardly ever Cmd-Tab anymore (unless I'm switching back and forth between the same two apps). Cmd-` is still a gem though.

Lion does have bugs though and I do share the concern of others on this forum that the rapid pace of development will mean poorer quality control. (Case in point I can't believe the LaunchPad app rearranging bug is still there - really???) I sure hope Apple is listening. I've filed several reports myself and hope others will continue to do the same.

I can't imagine that OS X will ever become iOS because who's going to build all those fancy iOS apps? Apple would be cutting their own throat if they do that.

14. lionell007 macrumors newbie

Feedback

To give your feedback on products APPLE : http://www.apple.com/feedback/

15. Dragado macrumors member

Again, this could mean that all those people have a piece of software doing this. Things are never black and white when it comes to software. Like I said, no problems here.

16. KPOM macrumors G5

Even relative to those operating systems, Lion is not a "shambles." There's a difference between having some unfixed bugs and being a "shambles." Vista was a "shambles" compared to XP and 7 because it was significantly slower, and had compatibility issues with PCs that were labeled "Vista Capable." Lion is pretty stable and for the most part does what it says it does. 7 is more secure, but it was also a less ambitious OS release.

I think Mountain Lion will be more refined. Version numbering aside, it looks like a less ambitious update than Lion was. IOW, it will be a lot like Snow Leopard compared to Leopard (mostly fixes under the hood). Nonetheless, it is good that they are still working on point releases for Lion.

17. Hardtimes macrumors regular

Snow leopard wipes the floor with Windows 7. But Windows 7 wipes the floor with Lion.

The only thing I really enjoy is Launchpad. Other than that I'd take stability and speed any day over the other features (the ones that work that is).

----------

Lets hope so. Lets also hope they don't have the audacity to charge those who purchased Lion to upgrade.
    I paid for this OS I shouldn't have to pay for bug fixes. The added features should be a way of making it up to those who have had to deal with Apples incompetence.

18. cammonro macrumors member

Not sure how I feel about this. There's apparently a business shift here.

When Leopard came out it was $129 to upgrade. The last two upgrades have been $29. It's hard to complain about a price drop but I think we all want quality.

If I have to pay another $29 for a more stable version of Lion (aka Mountain Lion) then I've still only paid $58. That doesn't sound like a bad deal to me.

----------

How is this the case? I've never had to hard reboot my Mac. Even on Windows 7 it's a regular enough occurrence.

19. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

10.7 was awfully short lived. Makes one wonder what bugs may not have exposed themselves yet.

Perhaps 10.8 will be a far better build.

----------

Neither my Mac or Windows 7 laptops have ever required rebooting. It's all a matter of proper setup. Both run fast, fun, and smooth.

20. wikus macrumors 68000

wikus

Semantics. And yes, i just want the old way to come back. BAsically, there needs to be some options in system preferences to adjust how Mission Control behaves. Currently its a complete failure.

21. jontech macrumors 6502

10.7.3 is pretty stable for me and I am beginning to enjoy it though Lion server is still a mess.......

I guess my MBA is the one that will get the ML beta once its released :)

----------

BTW, those that post buggiest OS ever, please take a look at Microsoft's OS releases

Windows 3.11
    Windows NT
    Windows 95
    Windows 98
    Windows 2000
    Windows ME
    Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7
    Windows 8

I'll take a bad apple any day of the week over a 50 percent failure rate. Vista was the worst OS ever IMHO. They will end support before XP if that says something......

22. laflores macrumors regular

The funny thing is that when Mountain Lion arrives, people will say it's horrible, and that Lion was the best OS ever...

23. wikus macrumors 68000

wikus

Won't happen. 10.4.11 and 10.6.8 are by far Apple's best operating systems. Lion is a trainwreck.

24. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

The people with wireless problems don't really know that they can fix it will some simple rules.

1. IMHO most store bought cheap wireless routers are designed to break down in two-three years. If you wireless router is older that that replace it immediately.

2. On Lion go to the System Preferences->Network pane. At the top of the Network pane is the 'Location' drop down. Use that Location drop down to select 'Edit Locations...'. Then another drop-down comes down and click the + button and then name your new custom named Location anything you want. The save this new Location and while still in the Network pane rejoin your wireless network. Lastly click on the 'Apply' button to save this new network setup. See if this helps your Lion wireless issues.

3. If you have AppleCare still use it ASAP!

25. mdgm macrumors 6502a

The fact that the issue is so widespread indicates it's a problem on Apple's end not with 3rd party software or configuration on end users machines. Just because you're not experiencing the issue it doesn't mean there's no issue.