Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HowieIsaacks

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2013
Addison, TX
Out of genuine curiosity, why do people post the size when apple releases an update? The bigger the better? :confused:

I'm wondering this myself. It's not unusual for the updates to vary in size for different systems. This is due to changes to specific components in the OS that are necessary for specific models.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
What crashes? I've had zero.

I agree, I've had zero crashes but I was having problems with Back to my Mac.

Testing across 5 different Macs, that was the only problem I came across with the last build.

Also, sluggish and crappy is definitely not a word I would use to describe Mavericks. It is on ALL of my Macs, at home and work and are in use daily, some 8-10 hrs/day and 2 of my work machines are 2007 iMac with original HDD.

Last edited:

HowieIsaacks

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2013
Addison, TX
I agree, I've had zero crashes but I was having problems with Back to my Mac.

Testing across 5 different Macs, that was the only problem I came across with the last build.

I haven't had any problems with BTMM, but I have had a really annoying issue in which my rMBP won't rejoin my wifi network upon waking from sleep. It doesn't happen every time, but it happens enough to be annoying. The only workaround appears to be trashing the bluetooth prefs, and either logging out or restarting. Today, I shut off bluetooth to see if that has a better effect. I don't actually use bluetooth on my MacBook Pro anyway.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Has anyone really ever noticed much difference with any of these betas? OSX 10.9 just runs pretty **** and sluggish no matter for me. A few random bugs come up or disappear with the betas but nothing major seems to be fixed or worked on. The fact that it's the same non descriptive list of "changes to" they give every time rather than specific changelogs gives me little hope to that much is actually changing, and that most of it is very very specific problems only few experience, or that is related to other big brands such as HP, DELL etc that they are fiddling with.

You're not meant to see any differences, these are just minor updates to fix reported minor problems, nothing more.

The updates you're thinking of are the big .1 releases, such as Mountain Lion > Mavericks or 10.8 > 10.9.

Also, the changelog is just a general list, Apple rarely ever releases detailed changelog in the past 3 years, it's the same list since then.

In addition, Maverick's the fastest OS I've experienced since Snow Leopard.

I'd suggest doing a clean install, back up your data, format your drive and install Mavericks cleanly. Now, see if Mavericks works as expected with no slow down.

If yes, slowly install new copies of your applications and restore your data one by one.

Rukuru

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2010
Can someone please let me know if it is possible to use the HDMI port in the rMBpro at higher resolution than 1080p, not necessary 4k but what about 2560 x 1440? at the moment only works with Windows 8.

thomaskc

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
1) You shouldn't be noticing "big" or "major" changes in point fixes. These are not a move from, say, 10.8 to 10.9. A version release is when you, the end user, should see "big" changes.

2) If your Mavericks system is slow/sluggish - you should consider backing up your data via timemachine, do a fresh install, then import your data. Unless you have an ancient system that has a small amount of RAM, or possibly a failing HDD/SSD (and/or all three or some combination), or have borked your system folder in some way...Mavericks should be running like a champ for you. Mavericks, on my 4670K system, is ridiculously snappy...much more so than Windows which I, sadly, sometimes require.

Interesting, because I find the opposite. What kind of work / how do you use your mavericks? also do you use an external monitor?

TestedLion

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2011
Interesting, because I find the opposite. What kind of work / how do you use your mavericks? also do you use an external monitor?

mostly graphic design (my income) followed by gaming (some mac, mostly windows). I do a fair amount of audio encoding (converting FLAC to whatever) and the like. Yep. External 27" monitor w/an MSI GTX 660 OC GPU. The whole system is OC'd to 4.4GHz

I have to say, that, yes... 10.9 _was_ crap. 10.9.2 is actually really solid, but today's point release has put me back into the super snappy 'feel' that ML had.

----------

I'd suggest doing a clean install, back up your data, format your drive and install Mavericks cleanly. Now, see if Mavericks works as expected with no slow down.

If yes, slowly install new copies of your applications and restore your data one by one.

Exactly the comment I made earlier. It's not *always* a perfect thing to go from point to point to version change with OS X. Sometimes you just need to follow what you, MikhailT, wrote.

tdtran1025

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2011
I have an older rig so graphics driver is not an issue. Yet the last 3 betas present a sluggish usb mouse and sometimes unresponsive. I suspect this has a lot to do with USB features they are trying to impliment.

emporiky

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2014
Can someone tell me, is it possible to download the OS X betas without being developer. Just out of curiosity I would really like to try the new update :)

di1in

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
Wow. That blows. I've never experienced that issue myself, but then I also don't often connect my laptop to a display. Have you noticed whether or not it happens more with a mini DisplayPort to DVI or mini DisplayPort to VGA?

I have a problem in which there are black vertical bars on either side of the display on the external monitor (Dell s2240L).. the internal is working fine. I use a miniDisplayport to VGA. Any suggestion on how I can troubleshoot this?

Apple customer care did not help, and there are no apple stores in my country.

thomaskc

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
I have a problem in which there are black vertical bars on either side of the display on the external monitor (Dell s2240L).. the internal is working fine. I use a miniDisplayport to VGA. Any suggestion on how I can troubleshoot this?

Apple customer care did not help, and there are no apple stores in my country.

That problem is most likely because you do use VGA, and not DVI or HDMI I would imagine? You don't have an option to use either of those?

I notice that 10.9 is eating up a lot of gpu memory when using external monitor tb -> hdmi, and there is a noticeable performance difference between doing so, and just having the laptop alone. Now this is not the case under windows (technically there still is, but not in comparison).

I am wondering if others have similar issues, or if its tb - hdmi related

kevb8ll

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2014
When will this be available for general release?

I am waiting to enable USB calendar / contact sync.

emporiky

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2014
No one here can give you a link, it's against the rules. Google search is your best friend :rolleyes:;)

Thanks for the answer, I have searched before, but most of the websites looked quite suspicious. I will try again or better wait for the official release :)

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
Link, please :D :apple:

There are 2 ways you can get it from apple.

One is by downloading and installing the seed configuration utility from the mac dev center. Then check for updates and betas will appear in your mac app store and you can install them just like any other updates.

The other is to use the direct links in apple's developer forums.

Reproducing those links here would breach macrumors rules, so don't do this.

Any other unauthorised copies of these beta updates elsewhere on the net could contain malware, so it would be best to avoid those and only get the updates direct from apple in the manner I have described.

emporiky

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2014
There are 2 ways you can get it from apple.

One is by downloading and installing the seed configuration utility from the mac dev center. Then check for updates and betas will appear in your mac app store and you can install them just like any other updates.

The other is to use the direct links in apple's developer forums.

Reproducing those links here would breach macrumors rules, so don't do this.

Any other unauthorised copies of these beta updates elsewhere on the net could contain malware, so it would be best to avoid those and only get the updates direct from apple in the manner I have described.
Thank you for the help, I found what I needed :)

SmoMo

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2011
Overheating with external displays

That problem is most likely because you do use VGA, and not DVI or HDMI I would imagine? You don't have an option to use either of those?

I notice that 10.9 is eating up a lot of gpu memory when using external monitor tb -> hdmi, and there is a noticeable performance difference between doing so, and just having the laptop alone. Now this is not the case under windows (technically there still is, but not in comparison).

I am wondering if others have similar issues, or if its tb - hdmi related

Yes I am definitely having this same issue, and it is the only issue I'm having, I live in hope that a Mavericks update will fix it because I have an external monitor I just can't use.

I currently have my 2012 rMBP plugged into an Apple Thunderbolt Display, and a 1080 monitor plugged into the macbook HDMI port. The Macbook is closed, so I just have the 2 external displays active.

Everything runs perfectly ( I need to close down photoshop every few hours, and MonoDevelop, but if I'm not running those Apps there are no slow down issues, and the macbook hardly ever gets rebooted )

...BUT.... If I open the Macbook then everything starts to heat up quickly, in about 2 minutes the fans are on full speed, and CPU throttling slows the machine down, the dock becomes unresponsive ( like wait 1 or 2 seconds for a click to register ) and when I run a temperature tool everything is super hot. Like 100 C

I've tried so many different options, like changing resolutions, using DVI/VGA Thunderbolt adaptors, a non reflective dock, even that new Thunderbolt HUB with its own HDMI port. Nothing makes any difference at all.

I've made a clean install of Mavericks onto a thunderbolt SSD, still the same problem.

I took the machine in to the Apple Store twice, they did some diagnostics and said the fans were all in order, but offered no solutions. They told me to try reinstalling OSX, so now I have done that I guess I'll go back to the Apple Store again.

Ideally, I want to use 3 external monitors and keep my macbook closed. I can buy another Apple Thunderbolt Display and daisy chain that if it will work, but I have no reason to expect it will work.

..can anyone confirm that they are able 2 use 3 external displays ( or 2 displays and the macbook screen ) for more than a few minutes?

SarcasticJoe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2013
Finland
Wow. That blows. I've never experienced that issue myself, but then I also don't often connect my laptop to a display. Have you noticed whether or not it happens more with a mini DisplayPort to DVI or mini DisplayPort to VGA?

DVI still works and I don't know about VGA as I don't have a VGA adaptor. Basically I still get things working, but I have to get sound out of the headphone jack which not only makes it even bigger of a hassle, but also lowers the audio quality as with HDMI I cold use high quality digital signal.

Yes. Its fixed.

Not for me it isn't... Still can't get HDMI output from the miniDisplayPort and have to settle with connecting the monitor with a DVI adapter and the home theater amp via the headphone jack.

Did you even have it or did you just declare it as fixed because you've never had it? Because there hasn't been a single OSX update since then to actually fix it. This literally came with 10.9.2.

dentaldoc

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2008
Washington DC
Revert to Samba?

Is there any way that Samba could be reinstalled in Mavericks to allow SMB to work and thus communicate with Windows OS's (in Fusion VM) on a LAN?

MARKBOARD

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2014
Hi you can check your new kexts updates between :apple: OS X builds seeds please see attachment below and give it a go :)

Attachments

• KextCheck.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 116
Last edited:

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Hi you can check your new kexts updates between :apple: OS X builds seeds please see attachment below and give it a go :)

Why should we trust this zipped application from a newbie.:roll eyes:
Could be anything.

++++++++

I tried to install the latest 10.9.3 beta, guess what, it got stuck halfway, had to manually force a shut down, luckily it didn't install.
Never had this before, will try again in a moment.

Edit 1: No luck second time either, it hangs at 4 minutes, force shut down again.:confused:

Edit 2: Located the .pkg updater in /Library/Updates, launched it manually, it installed.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.