Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elvisimprsntr

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2013
Florida
Y’all might want to wait this one out.

45 minutes and counting. 🥲

f1366e86d8c835714b84c0878dff6d44.jpg

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
The bug where the mouse cursor is not changing form based on what it's hovering over, is still not fixed.
This has been a thing in MacOS (and OS X) for decades...
Happens in Windows too, but less frequently for sure. But I think what you mean, in Electron based apps it has since Sonoma been more common to see the text selection pointer instead of the arrow pointer when doing a right-click in a text to bring up the contextual menu.

MacHeritage

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2022
British Columbia, Canada
This has been a problem for some- not all drives- since Big Sur.
Anybody with this issue noticing a fix on the betas??? (Hopefully) Give us some good news.
I wish I could. Since you have done so much testing and I've heard a lot about this bug over the years:

Do you know if it is linked to certain manufactures (WD, Seagate etc.) or just types of drives from everyone (like only 5TB self powered WD mobile drives eject but the 4TB ones are fine)?
Or is it more like: two of the same exact same drives, one has the issue and the other doesn't?
Or mobile drives are the problem and desktop drives are fine?

I will be getting a Monterey running MacBook Pro soon and I have a lot of 4TB and 5TB WD mobile drives that I can test if there is any connection to that. I'm also concerned now as well. :eek:

Thanks for any answer you can give.

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Will update my Macs soon. Hopefully the bug which does not show Apple logo in Safari (using Option+Shift+K) is fixed

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I wish I could. Since you have done so much testing and I've heard a lot about this bug over the years:

Do you know if it is linked to certain manufactures (WD, Seagate etc.) or just types of drives from everyone (like only 5TB self powered WD mobile drives eject but the 4TB ones are fine)?
Or is it more like: two of the same exact same drives, one has the issue and the other doesn't?
Or mobile drives are the problem and desktop drives are fine?

I will be getting a Monterey running MacBook Pro soon and I have a lot of 4TB and 5TB WD mobile drives that I can test if there is any connection to that. I'm also concerned now as well. :eek:

Thanks for any answer you can give.

Perhaps this detailed bulleted summary will be helpful to answer these questions. And there's good information in the rest of that thread too. There's also many other threads here and on other sites about this, illustrating that it's not any one cable, any one enclosure, any one bit of firmware, any one brand, any single Mac settings, any one user error, etc.

But nutshell: some devices are affected, some work fine. It SEEMS like HDD enclosures are more likely to have issues than SSD ones... and RAID HDDs seem most likely to exhibit this... but RAID SSDs are not immune. There's no brand bias/dependability: one enclosure from a brand may be fine, a different may do this. I'm not aware of any case- including for me- where 2 of the very same enclosures or drive will split with one being fine and the other having issues (I do not think that applies to this issue at all). Mobile or Desktop drives seem equally likely to have issues OR NOT... but again, SSD seems less likely vs. HDD enclosures.

I have a WD mobile HDD and generally do NOT have problems with it. But I also tend to only have it connected for brief periods and haven't left it connected for hours. I just gifted a brand new WD desk enclosure and- linked to a brand new Mac mini- it's not fully ejecting but is triggering a tall pile of notifications about "unexpected ejections" each time one comes back to do something on the Mac. This is fully a hit or miss. The U in USB may mean what it is supposed to mean with one enclosure but not with another.

I've had no issues at all with OWC Ministack STX, now reliably connected for a few years. However, another OWC enclosure (RAID HDD) won't stay connected for longer than 3 hours... UNLESS I connect it to any Mac running macOS < Big Sur or any PC and then it is as stable as it has always been (since about 2018 or so): same cable, same firmware, same drives, etc.

• Love
Reactions: MacHeritage

Kastellen

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2014
Hmm, maybe it'll fix the wallpaper bug that's been in there for FOUR YEARS. Not holding my breath.

Hessel89

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2017
Netherlands
This has been a thing in MacOS (and OS X) for decades...
Happens in Windows too, but less frequently for sure. But I think what you mean, in Electron based apps it has since Sonoma been more common to see the text selection pointer instead of the arrow pointer when doing a right-click in a text to bring up the contextual menu.

It was never a thing for me before Sonoma. It doesn't just happen with certain third party apps. Even on a completely clean install with zero third party apps it does this.

Kastellen

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2014
It was never a thing for me before Sonoma. It doesn't just happen with certain third party apps. Even on a completely clean install with zero third party apps it does this.
I'm sure that's partly why it's never been fixed -- not everyone gets the bug. But I've had problems with wallpaper since at least Catalina.

Oops, thought you were responding to my post. Never mind.

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
There are definitely situations where it happend before Sonoma. I even have videos of it.
Interesting that you see it frequently on the native apps too. Do you have a way to reproduce?

Attaching a recording from how it behaves in Slack, which is an Electron app:

It doesn't happen every times as it says in the video, but seems triggered more often if moving the pointer slowly to the right when triggering the contextual menu.

Last edited:

zevrix

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
Ironically not updated on the Adobe website.

Their status of InDesign's Sonoma compatibility was inconsistent and misleading from the start. They listed different status on different pages (Adobe products' Sonoma status page vs InDesign system requirements page vs Adobe Canada site etc.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.