Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
However I am not a fan of how the tabs look when they are opened. When you open a second tab, it takes up half the window. Yuck. I also wouldn't mind the tabs being above the window like in way earlier builds of Safari.
I love the look. It's more aesthetically pleasing because now you don't see a ton of wasted space on the left if only two tabs are open.

And what's up with the iPad-style tab bar? Now I have to constantly refocus my mouse pointer in order to close a few tabs that are next to each other. It may work on the iPad where there's no mouse but on the Mac... That was the case with Safari 4 betas as well which had resizing tabs on top (which I hated). They changed it back so here's hoping they will do the same here.
Cmd+W closes windows and tabs much, much, much faster.

I really like this release. I'm just hoping they fixed the serious safari crashing and taking down the entire browser not just tab bug. It happened multiple times an hour on Safari 5.1.2 on my MacBook. So far that hasn't happened yet for me on 5.2.

What I really want though is a tab switching gesture ... and no, I don't want BetterTouchTool, I want it native.

Even 1Password (beta plugin) works with 5.2! Excellent.

Seems to have fixed Facebook never finishing loading.

ljocampo

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2008
Same here. There does not seem to be an option in this version.

I must say, I do not really like the new address bar. The omitted ‘http://' might be more convenient for inexperienced users, but could also give the wrong impression that it is not needed (just as many people think that you always have to put ‘http://www.’ before each domain). It also seems that it only works with http, not with other protocols (such as https). This might cause additional confusion. Just show the full address, no mistakes possible. I am also not really fond of the fading of parts of the address, to highlight the domain. I am an experienced user and often do rely on these. The grey colour is just too bright in my opinion. It seems that Apple once again nurtures inexperienced users to the detriment of experienced ones. Is it really that hard to add an option?

I always depended on seeing if the http:// had https:// before entering credit info. I know just about every online store has it but I have seen some that didn't. I didn't use those because of it not being there. Now how are we to know for sure?

theelysium

Suspended
Nov 18, 2008
Hate It

I really can't stand my internet address bar and my search field being combined into one. It's like IE! Freaking hate it. It's like Apple is dumbing down the browsers for the lowest common denominator those stupid people that can comprehend the difference between a direct address to a website and an internet search they childishly call "Googling". No matter what service they are searching with.

This is another one of those Lion changes that are made for dumb people, but Apple forgets not everyone who uses computers are dumb. They should at least build in APIs that allow us to turn off the hand holding modes. :mad:

Does anyone know a way to down grade Safari. I've tried my best. I installed 5.1 and it still opened like 5.2, but was missing preferences and such.

I want my internet search field separate... Can this happen again...?

Last edited:

theelysium

Suspended
Nov 18, 2008
Download the uninstaller for Lion HERE

:) OMG I LOVE YOU! My fav browser is back... and to think I was setting up Opera to move over....!?!?!?!?!?!?!? :eek:

I will keep that uninstaller forever and be that old crotchety computer user... "I ain't leaving my browse sonny!" :apple:

G-Force

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2006
I remember the Safari 4 Beta. They put the tabs in the right place.

And then they pulled it for the release. I was sad when that happened.

To display the address bar, tab bar and bookmark bar on Safari today takes up more vertical room than on the Safari 4 beta. It was a very space efficient layout.
I'm sorry but this was an interface disaster, I'm really happy they ditched that horrible idea.

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
I always depended on seeing if the http:// had https:// before entering credit info. I know just about every online store has it but I have seen some that didn't. I didn't use those because of it not being there. Now how are we to know for sure?

Safari 5.2 actually does show the "https://" when you're viewing a secure site. As well as that, there's always the little padlock icon that appears top-right (next to the fullscreen button) that's also a link to the site's certificate information.

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
I've just started to read RSS feeds - really nice. Why don't you like them? Antiquated?

A bit, but it's also my job to read the news, and I have a few sites I log onto for that. I already have a Google News feed on my dashboard for headlines but I still have to go to WaPo, NYTimes, LATimes, Chron, etc.

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
Wow that Reader button is horribly huge and blue… why make it so big and obvious? I mean, all it does is extract the text from the web page, I would not really ever think of using it, and I definitely don't want it to be so obvious!

The rest is great though!

Try Reader, honestly, the next time you want to actually read a longish article that's surrounded by blinking ads. I use it a lot.

----------

I'm sorry but this was an interface disaster, I'm really happy they ditched that horrible idea.

Am currently using Chrome on Windows (I'm at the office jotting this during a break), and it has the tabs on the same way. It's not a disaster, though I don't know if it's any better.

Discaciate

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2010
I'm glad to see the improvements made in this version.
But I still hope they will include pinned/app tabs... They have become an integral part of my web browsing since I started using Chrome and Firefox.

G-Force

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2006
Am currently using Chrome on Windows (I'm at the office jotting this during a break), and it has the tabs on the same way. It's not a disaster, though I don't know if it's any better.
Actually, Chrome is handling tabs-on-top a lot better than Safari 4 Beta did.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003

Actually, Chrome is handling tabs-on-top a lot better than Safari 4 Beta did.
Key word being 'beta'. If Apple had iterated on and refined the idea instead of throwing it away they could have provided it as an option (even if it wasn't the default).

From comments at the time and later I believe the idea had enough supporters to persist with it.

I like it because aside from the horizontal space savings (vital with only 768px to play with 11" MacBook Air) it provided a more logical heirarchy in which the display information.

It eliminates the need to display page name twice - once at the top of the window AND once more in the tab.

Also having the address bar underneath the tab makes more sense in my mind (as it associates the address with its tab – i.e the url is something which belongs to the tab, not the window, as each window can have multiple tabs).

Inopia-Vi

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2011
Lost in space
Hi all, I have been using safari 5.2 for a week now and something buggle me. Once in a while, a text zone become untexable( I mean here that you cannot type) Did any of you encountered this issus?

qap

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2011
Italy
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A334 Version/5.1 Safari/7534.48.3 com.thinkbitz.browser/2.1.8.0)

Inopia-Vi said:
Hi all, I have been using safari 5.2 for a week now and something buggle me. Once in a while, a text zone become untexable( I mean here that you cannot type) Did any of you encountered this issus?

Mhhh no never to me... Another bug is the "google search" shortcut (cmd/alt/f) that doesn't work :( already reported to Apple.

And sometimes the WebProcess still crashes but the tabs don't reload in background, appear the error webpage (like when is no internet connection) who ask for reload the pages. But is less frequent than the 5.1.x

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
All I have to say is the speed is insane!! Significantly faster then the previous version.. Love it!

OZlAb

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2011
I DO need RSS on Safari or Mail !!!

Is RSS really droped ever from Safari or Mail app?
It's very sad.
I like very much that simple RSS function on my bookmard bar of Safari.

:mad::(:eek:

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Is RSS really droped ever from Safari or Mail app?

It is a beta. At this point nobody knows if it will be that way for final release or if it's just out temporarily while they work on things.

miknos

Suspended
Mar 14, 2008
Being using for a few minutes.

It feels slightly snappier but still a resource (RAM) hog like 5.x version. Actually its better. Seems like it doesn't surpass 600mb RAM. I'm going to upgrade my RAM since I have "only" 2GB.

Last edited:

miknos

Suspended
Mar 14, 2008
I don't know if it is my adblockers (I use glimmerblocker and AdBlock) but pop-up windows are blocked. Even the hidden under links you click.

gotenks05

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2009
I don't like that Safari is losing the RSS/ATOM feed reading capability because it helps me know if I got things right in feeds that I code, whether manually or create a PHP script to generate one. It also helped when I was trying out a new plugin for Habari that somebody made for me. However, there is another solution. One could use Calibre as their feed aggregator. No, it's not like any other feed aggregator like Google Reader, Thunderbird, and TT-RSS, since feeds are converted to ebooks. However, the ebooks that Calibre generates could be read on any platform, as long as it is in the right format for the device or application used (Kindle, EPUB, PDF, etc.).

As for my personal use, I use RSS/ATOM to follow my favorite blogs, like anyone else. It really beats having to visit the site every so often, especially if the feed provides full articles.

Also, people do not generally know this, until they look up how to distribute things, but RSS and ATOM are still in wide use today. Podcasts are created via RSS feeds and iTunes, or any other podcast client, lists the items found in those feeds. ATOM is widely used in programs like Stanza (iPhone/iPod Touch), Aldiko, and many others. That is because OPDS is based on ATOM. Yes, in neither of those cases are browsers used to parse the feeds, but browsers, such as Firefox, can tell us if something is wrong in the feed or something else. Besides, the feed validator I found once, which even W3C relied at least one time, if not still relying on it, for feed validation is not easy to find, nor is it helpful, as it is still a guess and check method.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Followup on RSS, looks like it's out for good. I guess either Apple doesn't care about it (maybe they think something else will take its place) or they don't want to bother and would rather people buy a RSS reader from the app store.

Any recommendations for a good (and free or cheap) one?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.