Apple Seeds Second Beta of Upcoming macOS Catalina 10.15.3 Update to Developers [Update: Public Beta Available]

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the second beta of an upcoming macOS 10.15.3 update to developers for testing purposes, nearly a month after seeding the first beta and over a month after releasing the macOS Catalina 10.15.2 update.

The new ??macOS Catalina?? beta can be downloaded using the Software Update mechanism in System Preferences after installing the proper software from the Developer Center.

We don't yet know what improvements the third update to macOS Catalina will bring, but it will likely focus on performance improvements, security updates, and fixes for bugs that weren't able to be fixed in the macOS Catalina 10.15.2 update.

macOS Catalina 10.15.3 has code in it that suggests a new "Pro Mode" is coming to Apple's Macs. Pro Mode appears to be an optional setting that overrides fan speed limits and energy saving restrictions to improve performance. The code says that apps "may run faster" but battery life could decrease and fan noise could increase.

It's not entirely clear if Pro Mode is coming to Macs in the 10.15.3 release, but the code is there so it is a possibility.

We didn't find any other new changes in the first beta of macOS Catalina 10.15.3, but we'll update this post if there's anything new in the second beta.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Second Beta of Upcoming macOS Catalina 10.15.3 Update to Developers [Update: Public Beta Available]

Last edited:

vaugha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2011
Are the random restarts and freezing fixed yet? My mbp never had any issues on mojave.

orbital~debris

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
England, UK, Europe
Here's hoping they bring back the old iTunes Movie Store in the TV app. The new built-in store is a horrible user experience.
Is it similar to what they've done with the 'store' inside the Apple TV app on iOS? If so, I think I'll agree with you as I gravitate back to the iTunes Store app for browsing films.

Wanted797

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2011
Australia
MR can you please combine your “Apple Seeds Beta X” news stories for all the devices?

Your front page with a wall of these for each product is a bit silly.

orbital~debris

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
England, UK, Europe
MR can you please combine your “Apple Seeds Beta X” news stories for all the devices?

Your front page with a wall of these for each product is a bit silly.
Hmm… do you see them all on the front page?

I was going to comment that I'd like to see the macOS (and watchOS & tvOS) beta news items in the main column instead of the 'Page 2' sidebar. Especially the macOS ones, since this is MacRumours, after all.

Separating them is good, as it allows a relevant discussion thread per news item. (And that would be another reason to have the macOS item appear in the main page - it might generate more views and more comments in the linked thread.)

K4LK

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
Still cannot access the Pages directory at the root level of iCloud Drive. Numbers finally appeared about 4 betas ago. I can access Pages directory using Mojave and iOS 13.3.1 beta 2. I have been reporting this bug since October.

• Love
Reactions: Babygotfont

honestone33

macrumors 6502a
I’m really hoping this too. Currently using Thunderbird on Catalina for this reason. It’s not as nice to use as Apple Mail, but at least it doesn’t silently delete my emails.
I used to use Outlook 2011 and Outlook 2016 as my EMail clients, but I had a serious issue with Outlook 2016. So, I switched to Thunderbird. Yeah, it is not sexy looking, but it works. That is really all I want in an EMail program.
- - Post merged: - -

10.16 betas will be here within 5 months.
That would be June 2020. That seems awfully early!

Cookie18

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2014
France
Is Catalina still a mess? It’s the first time I’ve ever had to downgrade on Mac OS because the experience was so bad on my 2016 MacBook Pro. I want to use sidecar but it’s not worth it so far.

• Sad

jb-net

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2012
Austria
Does it still delete/lose your E-Mails? Such a serious bug should have been fixed in an emergency update after the initial Catalina release. Now we are on 10.15.2 final and 10.15.3 betas and this bug in Mail is still not fixed. Apple, this in unacceptable :mad:

• Haha

triton100

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2010
Could anybody tell me if the sound issues are fixed whereby if you skip on a YouTube video there used to a popping sound. Also any music producers out there using the MacBook Pro 16 - has the audio crackling sound on playback been fixed in music production software ?

• Angry