Apple Seeds Second Beta of Upcoming tvOS 13 Update

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 17, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today seeded the second beta of an upcoming tvOS 13 update to developers, two weeks after first unveiling the tvOS 13 software at the Worldwide Developers Conference.

Designed for the fourth and fifth-generation Apple TV, the new tvOS 13 developer beta can be downloaded onto the Apple TV via a profile that's installed using Xcode.

[​IMG]

tvOS 13 introduces an updated Home screen aimed at making it easier to discover new content. Apps are now able to play full-screen video previews right on the Home screen, similar to Netflix.

Multi-user support is available for the first time, letting more than one profile exist on the Apple TV so each family member can have their own customized Apple TV interface with separate recommendations, music playlists, and Watch Now lists.

Switching between profiles can be done with the new Control Center, which offers up profiles, the time and date, search, a Now Playing widget, AirPlay controls, and a sleep option.

tvOS 13 gets the Apple TV ready for Apple Arcade, Apple's new gaming service that's coming to the Apple TV, iOS, iPadOS, and macOS later this year. Apple Arcade will offer unlimited access to more than 100 new and exclusive games, for one subscription fee.

As part of the Apple Arcade preparations, Apple has implemented support for the Xbox Wireless Bluetooth Controller and the PlayStation DualShock 4 Controller, both of which can be connected to an Apple TV over Bluetooth.

There are new under the sea themed screensavers created in partnership with the BBC Natural History Unit, which also created "Blue Planet."

tvOS 13 is available to registered developers at this time, but Apple plans to release a public beta in July. The software will see a public launch this fall.

What's new in tvOS 13 beta 2: The second beta of tvOS 13 introduces support for Picture-in-Picture. This feature lets you continue to watch TV shows or movies while using a different app, adjusting settings, or otherwise navigating through the tvOS 13 operating system.

[​IMG]

Article Link: Apple Seeds Second Beta of Upcoming tvOS 13 Update

2. Eorlas macrumors 6502a

When someone gets a chance, please link the changelog. Two bugs I'm hoping were fixed: sometimes when going to sleep, it does not actually sleep and instead tells my TV and receiver to turn back on. And when playing from a list of videos, it will go to sleep when one video is done and proceeding to the next.

3. appleguy2018 macrumors newbie

appleguy2018

4. -Ray- macrumors regular

-Ray-

AppleTV has been extremely buggy in B1. Hopefully its smoother in this iteration.

5. GIZBUG macrumors 68000

GIZBUG

Thanks for the update!

6. Picard323 macrumors member

Picard323

All I’m getting on trying to install is ‘The update was not successful Try again later’. I’ve get this every time I try.

7. Focusx0131 macrumors member

Focusx0131

Picture-in-Picture is a welcome long overdue feature! Can’t wait till September!

8. BWhaler macrumors 68030

BWhaler

Really looking forward to this. PiP is a nice surprise.

9. Twimfy macrumors 6502a

Twimfy

I've installed the update. A lot smoother then B1. Anyone know how I trigger PiP?

10. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

The rest sounds great, but I hope we can disable this. Not too excited to have Netflix’s most infuriating feature imposed on my Home screen.

11. Chris The Bipolarbear macrumors regular

Chris The Bipolarbear

that's why I only put on Apple TV (HD) that way you can putt into dfu mode and downgrade you can't downgrade with ate 4k.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 17, 2019 ---
    slow to download

12. Antoni Nygaard macrumors 6502a

Antoni Nygaard

This looks new to the beta to as well
    --- Post Merged, Jun 17, 2019 ---
    Does anyone now to initiate the PiP function is the Menu button?

Attached Files:

13. -Ray- macrumors regular

-Ray-

Yes you can. You delete the profile and do a system reset.

14. 212rikanmofo macrumors 68000

Does it still use the original tvOS 13 Beta 1.mobileconfig file in order to receive updates to the latest beta 2? Cause mine shows that there's no new update at all.

15. Eric W macrumors newbie

Eric W

Can anyone confirm if the beta has been removed. I'm running TvOS 13 beta on an Apple TV 4K. I have the profile installed, when I hit update, it says I have the latest. I have 17J5485s, which is NOT the latest. I can't get the update to beta 2 to fire.

16. 212rikanmofo macrumors 68000

Same exact thing here. I'm not sure why it's not showing.

17. seanrt macrumors member

seanrt

Same here

18. Antgb84 macrumors 6502

19. Twimfy macrumors 6502a

Twimfy

AirPlay works fine from my XS Max and MacBook Pro 2013

20. Antgb84 macrumors 6502

Great thanks. Just to warn everyone I was running beta 1 of tvOS 13 and had to restart it as it was quite a laggy. After restarting it, however, with the remote it displayed a lovely yellow triangle screen of death. Basically at that point I couldn’t do anything since it’s a 4K which wouldn’t allow me to restore. Had to be brought into the Apple store even they initially couldn’t wrap their heads around how to connect it to a Mac at first. Genius finally had to phone Apple himself and tell me they’d replace it for free even if it’s out of warranty.

So waiting out for the next beta or may be even a public one. Never “bricked” an Apple device before over the years until now.

21. 212rikanmofo macrumors 68000

Seems like many of us are running into that issue as well.

22. aesc80 macrumors 6502

aesc80

-- NOTE: For all users who keep getting "Apple TV has latest version" problem in Beta 1 --

I was able to resolve this by doing a factory reset. It'll reset as tvOS 13 Beta 1, but it will at least let the device be open to downloading new betas via profiles. Just reinstall the profile on the newly reset Apple TV. You should be good to go from there.

23. Antgb84 macrumors 6502

How’s beta 2 for those who dared?? Is it usable??

24. aesc80 macrumors 6502

aesc80

It's usable but there are times where the box just doesn't respond to the iOS app controller. Other than that, it's a massive improvement from beta 1.

25. seanrt macrumors member

seanrt

Yeah. Definitely better than beta 1. I think it’s even better than the macOS & iOS betas.