Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the second beta of an upcoming watchOS 7.2 beta to developers for testing purposes, one week after the release of the first beta and two weeks after the launch of watchOS 7.1.

watchOS-7.2-dev-beta-2-feature.jpg

To install the ‌watchOS 7.2‌ beta, developers need to download the proper configuration profile from the Apple Developer Center. Once the profile is in place, the watchOS 7.2 beta can be downloaded through the dedicated ‌Apple Watch‌ app on the iPhone by going to General > Software Update. To update to the new software, the ‌Apple Watch‌ needs to have 50 percent battery life, it must be placed on the charger, and it must be in range of the ‌‌‌‌iPhone‌‌‌‌.

watchOS 7.2 introduces a new Cardio Fitness feature for the Apple Watch, and Apple says that the cardio fitness metric are a "strong indicator of overall health." The feature measures VO2 max, or the maximum amount of oxygen that your body is able to consume during exercise. Measurements are done over time, and the Apple Watch and iPhone are able to send notifications to let you know about fluctuations in your VO2 max.

Cardio Fitness can be accessed through a new trend that’s been added to the Activity app, and it can be set up in the Health app on iPhone. Cardio fitness levels are available for users age 20 and above, and are estimated by age.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Second Beta of watchOS 7.2 to Developers

jackbauer1909

Contributor
Sep 19, 2016
Does it fix the problem that sometimes the always on display doesn‘t update the time correctly?

GadgetBen

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2015
London
I hope the VO2 max feature will take advantage of the new Apple Watch blood Oxygen readings.

Last edited:

robfoll

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2020
I just need Apple to fix the battery draining issue on my series 4... even with very little use it rarely lasts 10 hours since watchOS 7 first went on it
Wierd, I am getting 48% battery at end of a day. Watch 4 and 7.2b1

JulianL

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
I hope the VO2 max feature will take advantage of the new Apple Watch blood Oxygen readings.
I can understand why you would say that but from my personal experiences I hope it doesn’t because for me, and for quite a few others from what I read in these forums, it can be so inaccurate that I would worry that could distort my VO2 max readings very badly. For instance according to my S6 my blood ox dropped to 80% at about midday yesterday! I assume that was a false reading because I felt 100% normal all day and all the other readings were in the upper 90s but it’s not that unusual for me to check the history and see upper or mid 80s readings every few days. 80% is an all-time record low though.

jollino

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
Chieti, Italy
I hope they fixed VO2 Max readings in the first place. I was hit by the GPS bug, unpaired and re-paired twice (the second time after restoring the phone from a backup, as per Apple's instructions) and that got finally fixed, but VO2 Max has stopped recording since the original update and never came back. A little wary of doing that all over again...

amsquires83

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2011
UK
Wierd, I am getting 48% battery at end of a day. Watch 4 and 7.2b1
My wife has a Wi-Fi only series 4 too and it’s fine, so there’s no consistency... Plenty others seeing issues though. Running 7.1 currently. Tried unpairing and re-pairing. Also turned Background App Refresh off. 5 hours in today though with pretty much no usage, battery at 50%. Booo.

robfoll

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2020
My wife has a Wi-Fi only series 4 too and it’s fine, so there’s no consistency... Plenty others seeing issues though. Running 7.1 currently. Tried unpairing and re-pairing. Also turned Background App Refresh off. 5 hours in today though with pretty much no usage, battery at 50%. Booo.
Sorry to hear, I do have cellular switched off 90% of the time. Now running 7.2 beta and battery is still fine. Hope that sorts your out

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.