Apple Seeds Second macOS High Sierra 10.13.2 Beta to Developers

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 6, 2017.

1. TheShadowKnows! macrumors 6502

TheShadowKnows!

Wonder away, but no.

It is not a Parallels bug. It is a macOS bug. Why?
    Parallels does not write/rewrite drivers as it builds on top of macOS API calls for all device/kernel-owned resources.

There are no workarounds that fix this -- unless Federighi's group get it together, finally.

2. Mike Haas, Nov 6, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2017

Mike Haas macrumors newbie

Are you saying the Public Beta is available for 10.13.2? (EDIT - nevermind, I'm sure you're referring to the Developer profile. I read too much into this.)

3. Hodar1 macrumors member

Hodar1

In the middle of the Rocky Mountains, for now.
    Given the Hoopla they made about APFS, and the number of Macs they made with Fusion drives, one would THINK that this would be fixed before now.

4. Autistic Behaviour macrumors member

Autistic Behaviour

mid 2012 15" Retina Macbook Pro
    Just tested it again, and again, seems to work fine. Tried moving from mac spaces to Win full screen over and over and just get a slight jitter once every 6-7 times.

I've got a nvidia, but use gfx cardstatus to only use the integrated gpu (same as yours hd 4000)

5. TheShadowKnows!, Nov 7, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2017

TheShadowKnows! macrumors 6502

TheShadowKnows!

"You are testing wrong"

You must launch a large Windows app (full screen) on the VM. And then swipe in and out between spaces. You will repeat the curtain effects for there to see. [I use a large Excel spreadsheet that I must keep up-to-date for personal accounting. And the curtain-effect shows up every time as i swipe onto the Window space from the Mac side.]

If it does work for you well, then I am truly glad, AB; if not, join the club. But I am not telling "porkies".

6. Janichsan macrumors 65816

Janichsan

That sounds rather like Parallels' problem than Apple's. I'm constantly using Spaces on my 2016 rMBP and have never seen these artifacts in any application (including VMware).

7. Autistic Behaviour macrumors member

Autistic Behaviour

mmm....Actually, "I was testing just fine", ;)

I did that with VEP in full screen. I do remember having had a bug where I would swipe to mac space and Win space would reappear, but cant remember if it was on 12 or 13...

Also, my Parallels settings are possibly set differently than yours, so, other variables to consider.
    Anyway, good luck....

8. kiddjones macrumors newbie

kiddjones

The video/graphic issues are all NVIDIA chipset related on 2012-2014 Macbook Pros. If you're not running that hardware, you won't see the issues. Chromium / Electron apps are severely affected (you can read the Chromium team trying to find workarounds in this thread https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=773705). Asfaik, the Apple team is unaware (or maybe don't care?). The artifacting is definitely most prevalent in certain apps, but I've seen in OS-wide & overall slow framerate issues of the whole OS. Keep in mind, these problems only show when the Nvidia card kicks in (plugged into an external display, running video/graphic intensive apps) so many MBPro owners may have this issue but won't notice it for quite some time.

9. murrayE macrumors member

The current version of Parallels Desktop for Mac (Pro Edition) is 13.1.1. Does this perhaps fix the issue?

10. iamtheonlyone4ever macrumors regular

iamtheonlyone4ever

well update 10.13.1 introduced 70 or more new emoji, of course it also includes more updates, I don't have nothing against emoji but I think apple should focus in some other areas more and stopped the emoji madness

11. friednoodles macrumors 6502

And if you've got a 2016/2017 MBP with a Radeon Pro GPU, thanks to High Sierra you suffer terrible performance after letting it go into a standby sleep, requiring a restart to fix it. Basically, anyone who paid for the most expensive MacBook Pros to get good GPU acceleration is now suffering compatibility and performance issues. I've never seen Apple screw up a macOS release like this before.

Like the people at Chromium, I'm starting to wonder a) how it got released in this state, and b) what's going on at Apple that it hasn't already been fixed, given how many people and applications it's impacting. The exact target market for MacBook Pros - pro users needing GPU acceleration - is affected. Head on over to the Adobe forums to see how furious people are that GPU acceleration has caused everything to become buggy and unreliable (Adobe even recommends simply disabling GPU acceleration entirely in High Sierra for Illustrator, like Chromium is suggesting they may have to do).

*rolls eyes at the whole situation*

12. TheShadowKnows!, Nov 7, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2017

TheShadowKnows! macrumors 6502

TheShadowKnows!

[Closing my earlier comments on this video artifact glitch that shows every time as vertical curtains when swiping into the VM space.]

1. The NVIDIA GPU on my rMBP mid-2012 is used by Parallels -- by default. As far as I know one cannot disable its use, as Parallels requires the high-performing GPU, when present. (Activity Monitor on the Mac validates the above under "Energy Use".)
    2. Before macOS High Sierra, Parallels worked perfectly well. No glitches as (1) above. These "curtain" artifacts were introduced uniquely by High Sierra.
    3. Parallels has punted to Apple, and indicates no workarounds are available. Automagically, Parallels expects Federighi's group to provide the proper repair. That has not happened with 10.13.1, but I hope that 10.13.2 will provide a fix.
    I cannot comment on Why? others in here do not see what I see.

It almost appears to me that macOS ha introduced (new) memory pressure on the NVIDIA graphics processor. So GPU hardware resources, of otherwise similar rMBPs (sans amount of GPU memory), may have an effect.

But that is only me just thinking aloud.
    Definitely, "The Shadow does not know!" /s

Ahhh. almost forgot: answering an earlier question RE: Parallels Pro as an alternative. My answer: no. The Pro version does nothing different. (If it did, Parallels would release it as the "repair.")

13. pnoyblazed macrumors 6502a

14. haddy macrumors regular

Out for public beta testers.....version 10.13.2 Beta (17C67b)
    It's a large download 3.4gig for me 27'iMac SSD. Seems pretty good........you know "snappy"

15. RednBlue macrumors member

RednBlue

Public Beta (17C67B) all good here. No Photos issues.

16. cosmolv macrumors member

cosmolv

Problem with external display and GPU acceleration in After effects still exists on Macbook Pro mid 2012

When external display attached and then run After Effects GPU not found. Disconnect external display, restart after effects and GPU returns.

17. macintoshmac macrumors 68000

macintoshmac

I am facing this bug on my Touch Bar MBP 13 2016, wherein upon waking the machine from sleep, the trackpad is literally dead, and only a restart fixes it. This is occurring since beta 2, I think, and I do not think this existed in beta 1 of 10.13.2.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 10, 2017 ---
    On my Late 2011 MBP 15 with AMD 6770m dGPU, Photos is constantly crashing after few seconds of firing the app up. Repair Library does not work.