Apple Seeds Second OS X 10.10.5 Yosemite Beta to Developers

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the second beta of OS X 10.10.5 to developers, two weeks after seeding the first 10.10.5 beta and one month after releasing OS X 10.10.4 to the public. Because we're just a couple of months away from the public release of OS X 10.11 El Capitan, it's possible that OS X 10.10.5 may be one of the last updates to Yosemite.

Today's beta, build number 14F19a, can be downloaded through the Software Update mechanism in the Mac App Store or through the Apple Developer Center.

The first OS X 10.10.5 beta did not appear to include any consumer-facing changes, so it's likely that this update focuses on behind-the-scenes bug fixes and performance enhancements.

Over the course of its lifespan, OS X Yosemite has received four updates. The first two brought bug fixes and security improvements, while OS X 10.10.3, the most significant update to Yosemite, introduced the new Photos app, Force Touch APIs, new emoji features, and more.

OS X 10.10.4, the current version of Yosemite, also focused on bug fixes and stability improvements, most notably introducing TRIM support for third-party SSDs and eliminating the Discoveryd process that caused ongoing connectivity issues in the OS.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Second OS X 10.10.5 Yosemite Beta to Developers

loby

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Finally...after a year of waiting for OS X Yosemite to get stable and working the way it was suppose to be over OS X Mavericks it finally works.

Now...another....OS X El Capitan comes out and so far riddled with bugs to be worked out in the beta. OS X El Capitan is suppose to be the improvement over OS X Yosemite, but so far in the beta version has a long way to go.

This has happen every year since I can remember. We have to wait a year until the "New" OS X is stable and working properly and then considered "old" and outdated once it finally works...then another...

Humm....maybe in my mind I should think when a new OS X comes out officially, it is a beta for a year until it is finally stable. Just think that when the fall season occurs, the release of a new OS X is a preview edition until a year later...

I cannot believe what I am going to say: After twenty years of Microsoft's attempts at putting an OS out the first time that works out of the box....I think that finally hit it with Windows 10.....

Might have to stick with OS X Yosemite for awhile....

Snow Leopard...I am dreaming...

Last edited:

jruschme

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
Brick, NJ
I cannot believe what I am going to say: After twenty years of Microsoft's attempts at putting an OS out the first time that works out of the box....I think that finally hit it with Windows 10.....
That's not the general consensus, especially if you had a big Start Menu under Windows 7.

To be fair, the beta period for any OS is a time to shake out the real showstoppers. Will it catch every bug, certainly not, but the average user should be able to sit down and use it with few complaints. That was true for Windows 10, true for Yosemite and will probably be true for El Capitan.

Reactions: orbital~debris

jayducharme

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Now...another....OS X El Capitan comes out and so far riddled with bugs to be worked out in the beta. OS X El Capitan is suppose to be the improvement over OS X Yosemite, but so far in the beta version has a long way to go.
Agreed. So far, El Capitan is a bit of a mess. But no one is forcing you to upgrade on a yearly cycle. I love trying out new tech, so I accept the raft of bugs in 10.11 and report them to Apple as I find them. With the public betas, I would hope that the more people tracking down and reporting bugs, the faster things can get fixed.

loby

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Yes loving' Yosemite these days, Didn't have many issues earlier on, other than minor bugs. Think I will be staying with this one for another year. Unless 10.11 is 99% perfect out of the box. Doubt that!
Agree.. "loving OS X Yosemite these days"....stable with now "Zero" issues on all of my systems.

bladerunner2000

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2015
Finally...after a year of waiting for OS X Yosemite to get stable and working the way it was suppose to be over OS X Mavericks it finally works.

This has happen every year since I can remember. We have to wait a year until the "New" OS X is stable and working properly and then considered "old" and outdated once it finally works...then another...

Humm....maybe in my mind I should think when a new OS X comes out officially, it is a beta for a year until it is finally stable. Just think that when the fall season occurs, the release of a new OS X is a preview edition until a year later...

Snow Leopard...I am dreaming...
Perhaps it's time that Apple stopped rubbing one out over the iPhone and focused on computers... or god forbid, prosumers? Everything since iOS came out has forced their desktops and OS X to take a hit.

loby

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Agreed. So far, El Capitan is a bit of a mess. But no one is forcing you to upgrade on a yearly cycle. I love trying out new tech, so I accept the raft of bugs in 10.11 and report them to Apple as I find them. With the public betas, I would hope that the more people tracking down and reporting bugs, the faster things can get fixed.
Agree..I too love to try out new tech when it comes out, addition or hobby, but sometimes is a bother if you are concern with production and timelines. We love new technology and try new things out in hopes of what technology was originally suppose to be and that was "improvement", but now these days companies found a way to save research and development costs by putting out betas so they can work out the bugs for free. Again, not complaining, especially with OS X is now free, but..please at least get the OS X somewhat usable first before putting it out in beta, let alone official release nowadays...

Reactions: Shirasaki

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Finally...after a year of waiting for OS X Yosemite to get stable and working the way it was suppose to be over OS X Mavericks, now OS X El Capitan comes out and so far riddled with bugs to be worked out in the beta. OS X El Capitan is suppose to be the improvement over OS X Yosemite, but so far in the beta version has a long way to go.

I can't comment on Windows 10, but the rest of your post is a fair assessment of how things are with new OSs. It's no more than judicious to consider it Beta until the x.x.4 or x.x.5 versions appear. Not defending Apple or any other company here, but with the ever increasing complexity of today's software, having a flawlessly working OS right out of the gate is virtually impossible. There are just way too many tie-ins and links (and conflicts) with other software and Apps to get it perfect the first time.

With that in mind, it's the old "be a guinea pig and have all the latest features" or "play it safe and wait a few months to update" dilemma. These are regrettably the only two choices.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
This is some serious Apple apologist mentality and illogic; so because consumers may not know what TRIM is, it should be disregarded and let SSDs degrade quicker?

Inexcusable.
I think what he meant was that the number of Mac users doing this upgrade as a percentage of all the Macs out there is relatively tiny, but I agree totally that Trim is an absolute necessity if you want to have any kind of reasonable lifespan out of your (third party) SSD upgrade.

Myself I was talked out of putting a Samsung Evo 840 SSD into an older (2010) iMac, due to fans spinning at full tilt, all the time, but apparently SandBoxGeneral, one of our mods thinks he has a workaround for that, and once I locate that post again, I will run it by my trusty (former) Apple Genius Repair guy, who has set up shop himself, and go ahead with that SSD upgrade, especially now that Trim can be enabled. I don't use the 2010 iMac as much anymore as I used to; it's more like a back-up machine (I'm still running 10.6.8 on that rock-solid puppy too).

Last edited:
Reactions: Gasu E. and loby

loby

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
I think what he meant was that the number of Mac users doing this upgrade as a percentage of all the Macs out there is relatively tiny, but I agree totally that Trim is an absolute necessity if you want to have any kind of reasonable lifespan out of your (third party) SSD upgrade.

Myself I was talked out of putting a Samsung Evo 840 SSD into an older (2010) iMac, due to fans spinning at full tilt, all the time, but apparently SandBoxGeneral, one of our mods thinks he has a workaround for that, and once I locate that post again, I will run it by my trusty (former) Apple Genius Repair guy, who has set up shop himself, and go ahead with that SSD upgrade, especially now that Trim can be enabled. I don't use the 2010 iMac as much anymore as I used to; it's more like a back-up machine (I'm still running 10.6.8 on that rock-solid puppy too).
Aww...yes...OS X Snow Leopard.......those were the days...

uberboxer

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2015
As someone who really needs Photostream to work well between OS X and IOS devices, Yosemite has been a disaster. I have been on the phone 3x with Sr. Apple techs. They acknowledge Photostream is problematic at best and have no timeline from engineering to fix syncing between IOS and OS X devices. Apple has heard many complaints about this issue since Yosemite has been launched. It's seems clear that OSX has become the step child to IOS. Face it, 10.11 is all about making OSX more like IOS. Sell more phones, tablets, music and now watches. Apple seems to really put the customer that made them who they are, that is the medical/education/graphic design/photography/architecture/publishing and the like, all long time business users in the back seat of the bus when it comes to serving their needs....very sad Apple. BTW, I have used Macs since 1985, I have never seen Apple less focused on its Mac business customers than they are now.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
As someone who really needs Photostream to work well between OS X and IOS devices, Yosemite has been a disaster. I have been on the phone 3x with Sr. Apple techs. They acknowledge Photostream is problematic at best and have no timeline from engineering to fix syncing between IOS and OS X devices. Apple has heard many complaints about this issue since Yosemite has been launched. It's seems clear that OSX has become the step child to IOS. Face it, 10.11 is all about making OSX more like IOS. Sell more phones, tablets, music and now watches. Apple seems to really put the customer that made them who they are, that is the medical/education/graphic design/photography/architecture/publishing and the like, all long time business users in the back seat of the bus when it comes to serving their needs....very sad Apple. BTW, I have used Macs since 1985, I have never seen Apple less focused on its Mac business customers than they are now.
That regrettably seems to be the case. iPhone/iOS is the mainstay and moneymaker of the business nowadays, and very few companies, including 'Apple 2015' can resist that lure; besides, shareholders simply won't let them.

From reading the comments here regularly, I know there are a lot of us out there who are hungry for more Mac news.....

loby

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Perhaps it's time that Apple stopped rubbing one out over the iPhone and focused on computers... or god forbid, prosumers? Everything since iOS came out has forced their desktops and OS X to take a hit.
Agree...but Apple runs now on analysis data and if you look at their earnings, computers and Prosumers are a small piece of the pie.

In former days, when a company sees a small piece of the pie on their chart, they would attempt to build that slice and focus on increasing that share. BUT...Apple is focusing more now-a-days on younger consumers that marketing analysis states that they "spend, spend, spend...like there is no tomorrow". They call this group, "the entitlement generation". I know, I use to work in data analysis. This group believes they are "entitled" to not be concerned about tomorrow and believe they are "entitled" to have others (government especially) take care of them instead of personal responsibility. I am speaking from data analysis and not political interests. With this type of "reality distortion field" lifestyle, they buy whatever or get their parent(s) to buy whatever they want.

Apple is maximizing on consumer spending habits and from data analysis sees this reality that the younger crowd spends, while Pros do not....

Unfortunately, this is the reality and U.S. Pros are not worth the effort...only about three year period or so in their cycle. I am not a big fan of Tim Cook, but....he is a good business person who knows what he is doing to maximize profits...not advance to "think different" as far as creating "the best" and possible tech. That is ok for the new Apple...after all...that is REALLY what the consumer wants....Apple has the most money these days...isn't that the name of the game right now..?

uberboxer

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2015
Agree...but Apple runs now on analysis data and if you look at their earnings, computers and Prosumers are a small piece of the pie.

In former days, when a company sees a small piece of the pie on their chart, they would attempt to build that slice and focus on increasing that share. BUT...Apple is focusing more now-a-days on younger consumers that marketing analysis states that they "spend, spend, spend...like there is no tomorrow". They call this group, "the entitlement generation". I know, I use to work in data analysis. This group believes they are "entitled" to not be concerned about tomorrow and believe they are "entitled" to have others (government especially) take care of them instead of personal responsibility. I am speaking from data analysis and not political interests. With this type of "reality distortion field" lifestyle, they buy whatever or get their parent(s) to buy whatever they want.

Apple is maximizing on consumer spending habits and from data analysis sees this reality that the younger crowd spends, while Pros do not....

Unfortunately, this is the reality and U.S. Pros are not worth the effort...only about three year period or so in their cycle. I am not a big fan of Tim Cook, but....he is a good business person who knows what he is doing to maximize profits...not advance to "think different" as far as creating "the best" and possible tech. That is ok for the new Apple...after all...that is REALLY what the consumer wants....Apple has the most money these days...isn't that the name of the game right now..?

You make all good points, but you skipped one. iPads are not "computers" that creatives and business people use for big picture work. Don't get me wrong, I use an iPad in my business, but it does not do the heavy lifting. Heck, you can't file documents on the darn things, much less run Photoshop, CADD programs, Mathematical Apps, Accounting, Medical......etc. "real" computers are not going away and replaced by iPads anytime soon. So why loose those sales to HP and Dell. Why not own all the market. I guess I selfishly dread the day when I might have to switch to, forgive me Lord for saying this, switch to Windows :p

Last edited:

loby

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
You make all good points, but you skipped one. iPads are not "computers" that creatives and business people use. Don't get me wrong, I use an iPad in my business, but it does not do the heavy lifting. Heck, you can't file documents on the darn things, much less run Photoshop, CADD programs, Mathematical Apps, Accounting, Medical......etc. "real" computers are not going away and replaced by iPads anytime soon. So why loose those sales to HP and Dell. Why not own all the market. I guess I selfishly dread the day when I might have to switch to, forgive me Lord for saying this, switch to Windows :p
iPad sales are flat or decreasing because of its limitation, plus upgrading in that category is slow to hardly except by need.

Microsoft is heading down the right direction as where technology is going (don't have to like it, but unfortunately that is where it is going). Apple is waiting for them to hammer out the concepts and ideas and then Apple will jumps in and follow. iPad like computers and all working OS all across one platform is the future unfortunately, but Apple can afford to wait and let others experiment with it first before improving like they do.

Computers will look different soon as we may see a larger screen iPad that will eventually turn into a full computer. Eventually you can hook up a monitor or keyboard to it if you want an old school computer experience, but this is where it is going as I see. Microsoft tried with Windows 8 and the first surface pad, but showed that the world is not ready for the jump to most analysis was a surprise (as we saw Microsoft take a plunge).

Again, Pros are a limited market as far as spending and buying, but important area that Apple still needs to feed too or they will lose again to Microsoft in the business market that Miscrosoft understands is vital for longevity.