Apple Seeds Sixth Beta of iOS 10.3 to Developers [Update: Public Beta Now Available]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 13, 2017.

1. C DM macrumors Westmere

And I commented to point out that there was more to the update and to the article than a single quote that simply talked about just one bigger and more noticeable feature. And as to whether that is "meh" or not I said that that's a personal thing and can be different for different people. Not sure what part of that doesn't hold up, implies issues with the article, or makes anything personal in any way.

2. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

and I stand by the article's content,,,
    so unless you have AirPods....... Meh.... which is the reaction most of us consumers will have.

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

And that's fine. It doesn't really change anything about my original reply or make it into anything more or anything different than it is and always was.

4. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

right..... it still doesn't change the content of the article. It still doesn't change the depiction of the updates pluses or minuses or the author's depiction of the update. I don't feel the need to apologize for the update having only the airpod feature as the most note worthy in the article.

5. sbailey4 macrumors 68020

sbailey4

Um not if you look at what has been included so far. Take a look at the beta 1-6 threads (page 1 of each one is a decent summary) but no, 6 betas to add an AirPods find feature isn't quite what 10.3 is all about. I sure hope Apple would not have to release 6 OS betas and a final just for one app/feature :)

6. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

Sure if you look the totality of beta updates. But then again my comment was on the article and the comment the author pointed out that the biggest consumer update was to be able to find Airpods. So if anyone doesn't have Airpods....The current update is pretty invisible.

7. sbailey4, Mar 15, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2017

sbailey4 macrumors 68020

sbailey4

HA ok. According to just that statement, I guess. Not sure I would deem the importance of an iOS update on what a MacRumors blogger posted but I suppose the find airpods is the most obvious change. Perhaps that's why the author focused on that. So if you don't care about bug fixes, security updates, performance optimizations, additional usable space on your device, CarPlay enhancements, Maps/Weather data enhancements and the the rest of the list of changes included in this update then yeah pretty uneventful I guess you could say. But then again it IS a point update not a new iOS major version.

8. I7guy macrumors G4

Not really imvisible. I care about iCloud storage space. But find my AirPods is unique and may the reason it was mentioned first.

9. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

ahhh...so now you put words in my mouth....where did I say I didn't care about bug fixes or security updates performance optimizations and all that?
    The article said:
    and based on that I said it was meh....I don't own AirPods as i probably can guess most reading this do not either.
    I don't feel the need to apologize for this update being a very small point update as you put it......

10. sbailey4 macrumors 68020

sbailey4

Well I didn't mean to put words in your mouth. I read your quote "So unless I have AirPoids the next update will be pretty much meh....." as meaning if you don't have airpods the next update is pretty much meh (meaning not really worth it). Sorry if I didn't understand your quote or the meaning of meh. Carry on and lets get back on topic.

11. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

and.....from the article.....
    so..........i don't have AirPods so to me the update seems to be pretty much meh..... now we are back to square one....
    But no where did i say I didn't care about updates or security as YOU tried to frame it.....

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

There are definitely more things to the update, as mentioned in the article as well. As to whether or not those other things might make the update overall to be of some level of excitement to someone, or what level of excitement that might be, that depends on the individual basically and what might matter or be of interest to them, to what degree, etc.

13. Radon87000 macrumors 68040

No user facing change in this update apart from Find my AirPods and I currently have it installed on my iPad. And even that is useless since if you lose one I doubt you will be able to find it

14. Radon87000 macrumors 68040

I use Google Drive so that's irrelevant for me.

Find my AirPods is nothing but a ripoff of the find my AirPods app which Apple deleted from the store

15. I7guy macrumors G4

as far as find my AirPods that depends on the situation, but these betas always have varying degrees of changes that affect the entirety of the operation of the device including battery life and smoothing out rough edges. But I call the iCloud updates at least one other welcome user facing change.

16. C DM macrumors Westmere

The article covers it all pretty much when it comes to most of the changes. Not sure what else there is to say about it.

17. I7guy macrumors G4

But it's not irrelevant to me and your opinion of find my AirPods is irrelevant to what Apple is doing, as they've already done it.

18. iToph macrumors regular

19. Radon87000 macrumors 68040

But none of this is user facing. Night Shift in iOS 9.3 is an example of a user facing change. In iOS 10 from 10.0 to 10.3 there hasnt been a major change

It doesnt matter what my opinion on find my airpods is because it is a ripoff of the app removed from the Store so its not unique. Facts are facts

20. I7guy macrumors G4

Yep, its not the first time nor the last time apple will do this. You can have your opinion, which is irrelevant to the final outcome. Facts being facts font change the outcome nor that there are huge updates in this release.

21. Radon87000 macrumors 68040

And these huge updates are?

22. C DM macrumors Westmere

Then it sounds the article wasn't actually fully read. (Not to mention that the discussion wasn't limited just to user-facing changes either.)

23. I7guy macrumors G4

These updates are detailed in the article and release notes for the beta. What your opinion of these updates are do not diminish the high impact of them.

24. HJM.NL macrumors 6502a

HJM.NL

Maybe out of topic but does anyone knows why the apps in iOS keep growing over time? Simple apps end up to over 1gb in memory :eek:

When I go to system preferences and memory I can see the amount of memory a program uses, but I can't delete preferences of a program. The only way to get the original amount of memory used for an app is to delete and reinstall it. Is there another way?

Thanks in advance :)

25. C DM macrumors Westmere

Many apps store cached data as you use them (especially social media apps and similar apps). Short of an app providing an option to clear that data the only way to do it manually is to do what you described: delete and re-install the app.