Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ios93.jpg
Apple today seeded the sixth beta of an upcoming iOS 9.3 update to developers and public beta testers for testing purposes, less than a week after seeding the fifth iOS 9.3 beta and three months after the public release of iOS 9.2, the last major update to iOS 9. iOS 9.3 has been in testing since January 11.

The sixth iOS 9.3 beta, build 13E5231a, is available as an over-the-air update and through the iOS section of the Apple Developer Center.

As a major update to the iOS 9 operating system, iOS 9.3 introduces several new features. There's a Night Shift mode to reduce the amount of blue light iOS users are exposed to in the evening by shifting the iPad or iPhone display to a warmer (yellower) color spectrum, and there are several features designed to improve the iPad for Education program, such as multi-user login. Multi-user login, while an appealing feature, is limited to MDM customers and is not available to the general public.

Multiple apps and features are also seeing updates in iOS 9.3. Apple News includes more personalized recommendations, faster updates, a landscape view on the iPhone, and support for in-line video, while Health includes an Apple Watch-style "Activity" view, Notes has an option to password protect individual entries, and third-party apps can add songs to Apple Music.

Apple Music for CarPlay offers "New" and "For You" sections for better music discovery in iOS 9.3, and a Nearby Feature in CarPlay Maps offers more information about points of interest that are close by. Paired with watchOS 2.2, an iPhone running iOS 9.3 is able to support multiple Apple Watches, and for iPhone 6s users, there are new Quick Actions for Weather, Settings, Compass, Health, App Store, and iTunes Store.

This is likely to be one of the last betas of iOS 9.3 we'll see before it is released to the public. Apple is planning to launch iOS 9.3 in the spring, perhaps following an event that is scheduled to take place on March 21.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Sixth Beta of iOS 9.3 to Developers and Public Beta Testers

skwood

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2013
England
People not seeing it OTA yet switch to cellular/mobile data briefly so it shows up then back to wifi to download and install.

Reactions: Hedwigg

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
Just came available on my iPhone 6s, might take some minutes to show up on my iPad pro.

Edit: and there it is on my iPP as well!

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
since this is likely one of the last i hope to see some battery improvements again. i feel like theres solething that keeps running in the background like right now its at 34% after 3,5 hours of usage

Reactions: curtthecoder

'Dorian

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2014
Where it's warm
Why can't they just go with a black background instead of making a workaround to the brightness of the overpowering white? It just seems like they're making more work for themselves.

Reactions: Altis

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I'm sure this is the final build until the release of the public version in 2 weeks, 1-2 days after the event. Even tho its not a GM build number, it could still be the final 'beta' that is being released and they skip the GM seed.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Why can't they just go with a black background instead of making a workaround to the brightness of the overpowering white? It just seems like they're making more work for themselves.
I'm assuming you are talking about NightShift. The entire point of NightShift is to reduce blue point. Has nothing to do with darkening the screen. A 'dark mode' would still have a blue point.

dsTny

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2015
Anyone notice that they fixed the 3D Touch keyboard cursor? It's way more accurate when removing your finger.
I've the same experience. It seems they worked on that in beta 5 - moving cursor with 3D Touch keyboard is now much better in my opinion.

Reactions: dysamoria

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
Anyone notice that they fixed the 3D Touch keyboard cursor? It's way more accurate when removing your finger.

Also there's a cool animation when deep-pressing on apps in the home screen.

(not sure which beta these were released on)

If you are in a text field and type, you then can't 3D touch. Does the beta fix this? It's dead annoying!

Pruus

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2015
it was just 34.1 MB for my iPad mini 3.
[doublepost=1457374261][/doublepost]Also an update OSX El Capitan Public Beta 6.10.11.4 1.14GB launched.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.