Apple Seeds Sixth Beta of macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 to Developers

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 19, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today seeded the sixth beta of an upcoming macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 update to developers, one week after seeding the fifth beta and one month after the release of a macOS High Sierra 10.13.3 Supplemental Update to address a bug that could cause apps to crash when receiving a character from the Indian language Telugu.

The new macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 beta can be downloaded from the Apple Developer Center or through the Software Update mechanism in the Mac App Store with the proper profile installed.

[​IMG]

macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 includes bug fixes and performance improvements for issues that weren't addressed in macOS High Sierra 10.13.3.

The update offers support for some features that are available in iOS 11.3, like Messages on iCloud, which uploads all of your iMessages to the cloud. It will also support Business Chat, a feature coming when iOS 11.3 and macOS 10.13.4 are released to the public, and it includes improved support for eGPUs.

The macOS 10.13.4 update also brings the smoke cloud wallpaper that was previously only available on the iMac Pro and it introduces a warning when opening up a 32-bit app as part of an effort to phase them out.

In the future, Apple plans to phase out 32-bit Mac apps, just like it did with 32-bit iOS apps. Apple says macOS High Sierra is the last version of macOS that will support 32-bit apps without compromises.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Sixth Beta of macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 to Developers

2. martyjmclean macrumors member

martyjmclean

Lets hope High Sierra is stable enough soon, because I’m really liking all the new features.

3. MacBird macrumors 6502a

4. tywebb13 macrumors 68020

5. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

There are some glitches, like the one on my 2012 13"MBP, if I wake the MBP within a few minutes after putting it to sleep it shows the desktop very briefly before going to the login screen, I have never before seen this on OS X/macOS and I have been using it since 10.0b.
    Had a few kernel crashes on one of the last beta's, one was due to Parallels Desktop, must have been doing some odd things with CPU virtualisation (don't recall what the actual name is).
    Overall it's not bad at all, but there have been better OS'es in the past.

6. liberte1776 macrumors regular

7. DaveMcM76 macrumors regular

DaveMcM76

Really hope they've fixed the screen sharing issues - that has been glitchy as hell since beta 1 with connection failures and hanging if it does connect. I've had to resort to teamviewer to control my headless mac mini server...

8. Westside guy macrumors 603

Westside guy

"Without compromises" - what does that mean, exactly?

9. dan9700 macrumors 68000

dan9700

could this be the GM I know it still has letter a and says beta but always when the final comes out they just push another update and remove letter?

10. Guy Clark macrumors 6502a

Guy Clark

When is a Mac related subject going to make it to the main headlines and not 'other articles' after all this is MACRUMORS is it not?

11. jasnw macrumors 6502a

jasnw

I asked this very question in the previous 10.13.4 beta release thread and never got a good answer. I wish you better luck.

12. dogslobber macrumors 68030

dogslobber

We must be getting close. My crystal ball tells me it'll be released next week.

13. BaltimoreMediaBlog macrumors 6502a

BaltimoreMediaBlog

Since they fixed the processor bugs, it's nothing but spinning beachballs for me. Even APFS has gotten buggier and slower.

With every release, the MAIL program gets worse and worse. Deleted emails keep coming back from the dead.

But worst of all is that every update forces me to go back to a previous Mac OS to get my passwords & server settings. Why Apple somehow manages to continually erase them boggles my mind.

And even more agonizing, I cannot report this as a bug, because how to do you report something that is GONE without a trace to even prove it was there? I just knew I could send email on these accounts before, can't now. Apple just doesn't seem to get it.

14. Jerry Fritschle macrumors member

That’s because no one here knows, and Apple is being deliberately vague. My guess (!), though, is that the first “compromise” will be the dropping of Carbon support, which is long-deprecated.

15. ParanoidDroid, Mar 19, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2018

ParanoidDroid macrumors 6502

ParanoidDroid

Does macOS 10.13.4 eventually support DisplayPort 1.2 MST?

That is daisy chaining Multi Stream Support via DisplayPort 1.2 by using a DisplayPort splitter hub or by daisy chain two monitors having an extended desktop on each connected external display. With 10.13.3 the two connected displays just mirror each other.

When I boot to Windows 10, I'm able to have a dual monitor extended desktop via single cable, on macOS I only see mirrored content on each screen.

16. Ener Ji macrumors regular

Nobody knows as Apple is being purposefully vague. I expect we will get further clarity at WWDC, however.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 19, 2018 ---
    That's very logical. All Carbon apps are 32-bit, if I'm not mistaken, so that would seem to fit.

17. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

Has the OpenGL bug been fixed in this beta? Someone test XCOM 2 please?

18. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Six betas is getting up there. But it does hint that they are not satisfied for a public release version until they've worked on the bugs, thats a good thing! Have we ever seen as many as 8 or 9 beta versions for a minor point update?

19. JosephAW macrumors 68000

JosephAW

Hopefully this fixes the grab app problem and preview crashing after looking at photos.

20. Westside guy macrumors 603

Westside guy

Wow, I have a LOT of 32-bit apps. Most of them are old games... but not all.

How am I going to play Burning Monkey Solitaire on 10.14??? :p

21. m_emelchenkov macrumors newbie

m_emelchenkov

22. BaltimoreMediaBlog macrumors 6502a

BaltimoreMediaBlog

Can you imagine if Ford or Toyota said this?
    "Sorry, you cannot use these tires on this car anymore. The last repair to your car made them inoperable.
    But you're still free to drive the car."

I've said this before. Apple is turning updates into,
    "1 Bug fixed. 2 Bugs back."

23. chucker23n1 macrumors 68000

chucker23n1

It’s a beta update to a minor release. No big news.

Nobody outside Apple knows.
    No, but what I can imagine is another tired car analogy.

By the way, good luck using all features on your car entertainment system if it’s more than a few years old. Same reason.

24. Janichsan macrumors 65816

Janichsan

And yet, every minor beta iOS release gets featured on the main page.