Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the sixth betas of upcoming iOS 17 and iPadOS 17 updates to developers for testing purposes, with the software coming a week after the release of the fifth betas.

General-iOS-17-Feature-Orange-Purple.jpg

Registered developers are able to opt into the betas by opening up the Settings app, going to the Software Update section, tapping on the "Beta Updates" option, and toggling on the iOS 17 Developer Beta. Note that an Apple ID associated with a developer account is required to download and install the beta.

iOS 17 is a major update that introduces a customized look for each person that calls, with the person who places the call able to customize their look. Live voicemails let you see a transcript of a message someone is leaving in real time so you can choose to pick up the phone if you want, and voice messages people send in iMessage are now transcribed into text. You can also record a video or audio message when someone misses your FaceTime call, and FaceTime works on the Apple TV through Continuity functionality.

In Messages, apps have been moved to a new tucked-away interface for a cleaner look, and there is a new Check In feature that is designed to let your friends and family keep an eye on you when you're traveling. Check In automatically notifies friends or family members when you arrive at a destination, such as home. Locations can also now be shared directly from the Messages app.

In a group chat, there's a catch-up arrow so you can see the first message you haven't seen in a conversation, and with search filters, you can more easily find what you're looking for. Stickers have been overhauled, and all emoji are now stickers, living alongside sticker packs and Memoji. Using the remove from background feature in iOS 17, you can turn the subject from any image into a sticker.

With StandBy, an iPhone placed horizontally turns into a little home hub that displays information like the calendar, time, home controls, and more, and Live Activities can be displayed in full screen too.

Widgets on the Home Screen are interactive, so you can do things like check off an item on a to-do list or turn off the lights without having to open an app. AirDrop has been improved and there's a NameDrop function for sharing contacts quickly, plus you can hold two iPhones together to start a SharePlay session. SharePlay also now works with CarPlay so passengers can play their music in the car too.

Other new features include a journaling app coming later this year, AirPlay in select hotel rooms, improvements to AirPods Pro 2 thanks to a new Adaptive Audio feature, offline Maps, Siri that does not require the "Hey" activation, and improvements to search and spotlight.

Update: There are new betas of iOS 17 and iPadOS 17 available for public beta testers, as well as a new beta of watchOS 10.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Sixth Betas of iOS 17 and iPadOS 17 to Developers [Update: Public Beta Available]

Last edited:
Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
Arrived in the Beta cycle in Beta 5 because I need to test my own apps at some point, and came across an array of pretty severe issues.
Hoping Beta 6 will be more stable :)

I thought iOS 17 was supposed to be mainly a "stability focused release", but I'm not sure anymore.

midkay

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2008
Arrived in the Beta cycle in Beta 5 because I need to test my own apps at some point, and came across an array of pretty severe issues.

I thought iOS 17 was supposed to be mainly a "stability focused release", but I'm not sure anymore.
Most people have seemed to say it's very stable with only minor hiccups, and that's been my experience as well. What severe issues are you seeing?

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin

Battery life seems to be the main reason I have not upgraded this time around

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
Most people have seemed to say it's very stable with only minor hiccups, and that's been my experience as well. What severe issues are you seeing?
1. Once it would say it's connected over the cellular network with 1-2 bars in an area where it's supposed to have 5 bars, every app would say I have no Internet... I had to reboot it and it worked well since then.
2. Wireless CarPlay stopped working. I took an hour to update my dongle, forget my phone, rebooted my phone and my dongle, and connected it again and since then it works well. I don't know if it's on Apple or my side, but iOS 17 triggered the problem for the first time.
3. Continuity Camera is intermittently working / not-working. I had to reboot my phone and my Mac to make it work again the first time.

rutiger

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2006
Post update my phone is now in attempting data recovery mode. I've never had an iPhone do that. Not sure what the outcome will be.

Reactions: yoavon1

j-a-x

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2005
Houston, Texas
1. Once it would say it's connected over the cellular network with 1-2 bars in an area where it's supposed to have 5 bars, every app would say I have no Internet... I had to reboot it and it worked well since then.
2. Wireless CarPlay stopped working. I took an hour to update my dongle, forget my phone, rebooted my phone and my dongle, and connected it again and since then it works well. I don't know if it's on Apple or my side, but iOS 17 triggered the problem for the first time.
3. Continuity Camera is intermittently working / not-working. I had to reboot my phone and my Mac to make it work again the first time.
Same cell network issues here.

Reactions: PsykX

SilvioInfante

Suspended
Jul 27, 2023
Hopefully this is where it starts to turn around. I swear the betas these days start off suspiciously stable at beta 1 so that people don't jump ship, and then get progressively worse toward a point before they start getting polished for release. Have had nonstop audio issues with beta 5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.