Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonnyv34

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2021
Not very positive first impressions. My cellular reception bar went way down. Only getting 1 bar , having the phone on the exact same place as before the update, which had 3 bars..
Maybe that French thing since they reduced power to the antennas. Anyone else?

Lvmyiphone

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2015
Same, it’s been happening off and on with different betas. So far it is fixed on this version and working as it should. FINALLY
Oh good! Glad to hear some people don't have the problem. Some do others keep talking about a shortcut but I told them that's not what I'm looking for. Just a regular normal vibration for notifications without banners and stuff. Popping up if I don't want it to. Just would like the badge alerts instead

wplynx

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2009
Still getting hot i put it on a MagSafe and the screen was crazy hot. Glad I put in for an exchange just waiting for the new one to come in.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
FYI

Apple in the third beta of iOS 17.1 tweaked the functionality of the Action Button to prevent certain actions from being triggered while the iPhone is in a pocket or a bag. The Camera, Flashlight, Voice Memo, Focus, and Magnifier functions will no longer activate when the Action Button is pressed if the ‌iPhone‌ is tucked away in a pocket.
Actions that make sense to trigger in a pocket like the mute function and a shortcut can still be activated while the ‌iPhone‌ is inside of a pocket by long pressing on the Action Button, but other features are disabled.

kycophpd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
Louisville, Kentucky
Not very positive first impressions. My cellular reception bar went way down. Only getting 1 bar , having the phone on the exact same place as before the update, which had 3 bars..
I’m in the opposite. Sitting in the same hotel room I’ve been in the last 2 days. I only got 1 bar or 5G consistently. Now I am getting 3 bars of 5G+ for the past 2 hours no matter where I move.

sparkinstx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2017
What model are you using?

jonnyv34

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2021
I’m in the opposite. Sitting in the same hotel room I’ve been in the last 2 days. I only got 1 bar or 5G consistently. Now I am getting 3 bars of 5G+ for the past 2 hours no matter where I move.
These updates are so inconsistent really

Reactions: kycophpd

wplynx

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2009
Is it me ? My Apple TV is making the dialog louder on my jbl 5.1 automatically

dfwiddoc

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2018
Okay, I turned off automatic updates. Maybe I'll stay on Beta 2 awhile longer.
Apple is strongly advising beta testers to update to beta 3 to avoid crashing their wallet apps. It’s detailed in additional press releases. I’m on the third beta and all is well, other than the fact that I can’t switch on the recording option for my linked cameras because it prompts me to upgrade to a higher iCloud storage plan, even though I’m already paying for 4gb. I submitted a bug report in the Feedback app.

bn-7bc

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2008
Arendal, Norway
What model are you using?
Not to be down on the update here, but I suspect tme MNO happened to activate a new transceiver around that time, as I see no reason why sw update would boost reception that much esp since you moved from 5G to 5G+ which is a completely different frequency band) 5G (mid band) operates arrond 2.1GHz and 5G+ (also called mmWave/High band) operates at 24+GHz

Ultracyclist

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2014
Zwijndrecht, Netherlands
Haven't seen it mentioned yet, but my iPad now has the possibility to set audio to iPad when hooked up to an external display with its own audio output.

For me personally it was not a big issue, but I like that is "fixed".

sparkinstx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2017
Taking the plunge, installing Beta 3 now. I haven't added my cards back into the Wallet app after upgrading from the 12 Pro to the 15 Pro last Friday (the app said it couldn't activate them then), but I will after installing Beta 3.

jonnyv34

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2021
Haven't seen it mentioned yet, but my iPad now has the possibility to set audio to iPad when hooked up to an external display with its own audio output.

For me personally it was not a big issue, but I like that is "fixed".
Finally

withitnow

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2013
Problem is even with the regular releases there are so many inconsistencies. Some people report 17.0.3 being great for battery life and the heat issue , while others continue to complain.
This may be the case. But this is about the beta issues and in particular the latest beta 3 of iOS 17.1. From beta to beta, there may be things that change, get broken, fixed, wildly change, or sometimes, it seems, very little has changed between betas. The point is, they are betas and not to be used if you want a more consistent operation and use experience of your device.

Batt4Christ

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2014
Arkansas
Last two betas have introduced a consistent issue with Messages- Message Failed to Send. Every text or picture, whether to single recipient or group, iMessage or SMS. Most eventually go through after the notification (except ½ of photos).

Apple today seeded the third betas of iOS 17.1 and iPadOS 17.1 to developers for testing purposes, with the betas coming one week after Apple released the second betas of iOS 17.1 and iPadOS 17.1.

iOS-17.1-Feature-Purple.jpg

Registered developers are able to opt into the betas by opening up the Settings app, going to the Software Update section, tapping on the "Beta Updates" option, and toggling on the ‌iOS 17 or iPadOS 17‌ Developer Beta. An Apple ID associated with a developer account is required to download and install the beta.

iOS 17.1 adds the option to favorite songs, albums, playlists, artists, and more, with favorited content added to the Library and used for suggestions. Favoriting can be done from the Lock Screen using the Now Playing widget, plus when starting a playlist, you'll now see Song Suggestions.

AirDrop transfers can be finished over the internet so close proximity does not need to be maintained, and an Apple Watch running watchOS 10.1 can now use NameDrop with an iPhone running iOS 17.1.

Other new features include a flashlight indicator in the Dynamic Island for non iPhone 15 Pro models, and a Wallet feature that lets those in the UK connect their banks to see balances and transactions. More information is available in our iOS 17.1 features article.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Third Betas of iOS 17.1 and iPadOS 17.1 to Developers [Update: Public Beta Availab

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.