APPLE SELLING 32" 4K display!!

jimthing

macrumors 65832
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
London, UK (Europe, Earth, Space)
...only on their UK site though:

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/HD971ZM/A/sharp-32-inch-pn-k321-4k-ultra-hd-led-monitor

Only £3.5K, lol! :rolleyes:

This news effectively means Apple will NOT be releasing their own 4K anytime soon. Otherwise they wouldn't have just added this for sale in their store! :(

Oh well, like how many could afford it anyway, lol.

BTW, should add it's in most EU Apple Stores at €4K ("4K" – get it!), as well the UK one. But not in the US one, at least not so far.

Last edited:

jimthing

macrumors 65832
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/HD971ZM/A/sharp-32-inch-pn-k321-4k-ultra-hd-led-monitor

This news effectively means Apple will NOT be releasing their own 4K anytime soon. Otherwise they wouldn't have just added this for sale in their store! :(

BTW, should add it's in most EU Apple Stores at €4K ("4K" – get it!), as well the UK one. But not in the US one, at least not so far.
I'd suggest this is likely to mean they just cannot make one in time for the new Mac Pro release, so gave up and offered this in their stores instead. Of course, at a whopping price for the early adopter peeps who are the ones most likely to splash the cash early-on without waiting any longer.

Last edited:

costabunny

macrumors demi-goddess
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
This effectively means Apple will NOT be releasing their own 4K anytime soon. Otherwise they wouldn't have just added this for sale in their store! :(

or they want gauge demand so they can set their production runs more accurately ;)

Solomani

macrumors 68040
Sep 25, 2012
Alberto, Canado
You're reading too much into the sale of that one Sharp display.

Apple sells 3rd party items on their Online Store all the time. They sell anything from third party cables (Belkin) to third party speakers (Bose and Beats).

I really don't think this means that an Apple 4K monitor is coming any time soon.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
Poole, England

I am not sure why you're laughing at the price. RRP in the US is reported as $4,999, which is £3063, add VAT, customs etc and £3,499 seems like a fair price. People always complain about the price discrepancy between the US and Europe. In this case it seems pretty fair to me.

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England

Apple sells 3rd party items on their Online Store all the time. They sell anything from third party cables (Belkin) to third party speakers (Bose and Beats).

I really don't think this means that an Apple 4K monitor is coming any time soon.
This is the first non-Apple display to ever appear on Apple's site AFAIK, which is a big deal with all the wild speculation Apple are about to release their own.

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
I am not sure why you're laughing at the price. RRP in the US is reported as $4,999, which is £3063, add VAT, customs etc and £3,499 seems like a fair price. People always complain about the price discrepancy between the US and Europe. In this case it seems pretty fair to me.
Yup for once it's not too bad.

Although Personally I'd prefer to get the Dell 32" just for their monitor warranty service, and known quality.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
Poole, England
Yup for once it's not too bad.

Although Personally I'd prefer to get the Dell 32" just for their monitor warranty service, and known quality.
Indeed. I do not need all of the fancy colour processing and calibration, hence the "cheap" 28" Dell 4K looks pretty good to me.

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
Indeed. I do not need all of the fancy colour processing and calibration, hence the "cheap" 28" Dell 4K looks pretty good to me.
I'm waiting for some in-depth reviews, if it's still a decent quality IPS panel I'll certainly have a gander.
Hopefully the quality difference between the 24", 32", and 28" aren't drastic.

jimthing

macrumors 65832
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
Where did I say I was laughing at the price discrepancy between the US and Europe?
You miss my point entirely. I wasn't laughing at the price difference between US and UK (any moron can work out the VAT/duties issue). I was laughing at how expensive the thing is PERIOD.

I'm not naive that such displays are ever 'cheap', and these are not aimed at the mass market (yet), but let's be honest £3.5K is quite some dough for a computer display regardless of how high quality it may be, and is even more expensive than the base-end 6-core new Mac Pro – so clearly aimed at users with reasonably serious money to spend.

The reason this is notable, is Apple have never sold a non-Apple display in their store before, so it's a massive signpost to everyone that they WILL NOT be releasing their own 4K in the near future for release with or near the nMPro.
Sure, an Apple one may come later, but definitely not now that's for sure.

Last edited:

cs02rm0

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2013
The price sounds incredible compared to the 32". Hopefully it's not too good to be true, but if it's terrible at least the 32" is an option still.

dumastudetto

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2013
Given how bad Sharp's displays are in Apple products you'd have to be incredibly brave to drop this kind of money on one of their monitors.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
Poole, England
The price sounds incredible compared to the 32". Hopefully it's not too good to be true, but if it's terrible at least the 32" is an option still.
The Dell 24" 4K with all of fancy features is listed as $1499 on Dell's website, so that is another decent option.

jimthing

macrumors 65832
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
The Dell 24" 4K with all of fancy features is listed as $1499 on Dell's website, so that is another decent option.
Yeah, in UK money that's close (though not quite the same) cost for the Dell 24" to Apple's current 27" Apple Thunderbolt Display – certainly most pro users are not going to quibble over a couple of hundred quid (once VAT is added here) to get the Dell 24" 4K if that's a screen size they are happy to go with.

I notice the nMP only has HDMI 1.4 (upto 4K at 30Hz), but the HDMI 2.0 spec offers 4K at 60Hz (120Hz too?). No idea what Thunderbolt 2 can handle over its DisplayPort transport??

The 2.0 spec has only very recently been ratified though, so I presume it was not available for Apple to include in the nMP just yet.

Read something about many 1.4 devices being able to receive a software update to be able to handle the new 2.0 standard, so I wonder if the nMP is one of them?
Is 60Hz or even 120Hz a big deal?

Anyone know?

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
Poole, England
Yeah, in UK money that's close (though not quite the same) cost for the Dell 24" to Apple's current 27" Apple Thunderbolt Display – certainly most pro users are not going to quibble over a couple of hundred quid (once VAT is added here) to get the Dell 24" 4K if that's a screen size they are happy to go with.

I notice the nMP only has HDMI 1.4 (upto 4K at 30Hz), but the HDMI 2.0 spec offers 4K at 60Hz (120Hz too?). No idea what Thunderbolt 2 can handle over its DisplayPort transport??

The 2.0 spec has only very recently been ratified though, so I presume it was not available for Apple to include in the nMP just yet.

Read something about many 1.4 devices being able to receive a software update to be able to handle the new 2.0 standard, so I wonder if the nMP is one of them?
Is 60Hz or even 120Hz a big deal?

Anyone know?
TB2 supports display port 1.2. DP 1.2 is required for 4k at 60 Hz. Theoretically this should work on the nMP, so I am hoping there won't be any driver issues.

petvas

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2006
Mannheim, Germany
3K for the Display. It's funny how some people think Apple will bring a Retina iMac next year. I think we will have to wait at least two years for that...

JeffiJers

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
U.S.
3K for the Display. It's funny how some people think Apple will bring a Retina iMac next year. I think we will have to wait at least two years for that...
I agree... Or at minimum it will not replace the current iMac and will be offered at an extreme i mean premium price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.