APPLE SELLING 32" 4K display!!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jimthing, Dec 5, 2013.

1. jimthing, Dec 5, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2013

jimthing macrumors 6502a

jimthing

...only on their UK site though:

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/HD971ZM/A/sharp-32-inch-pn-k321-4k-ultra-hd-led-monitor

Only £3.5K, lol! :rolleyes:

This news effectively means Apple will NOT be releasing their own 4K anytime soon. Otherwise they wouldn't have just added this for sale in their store! :(

Oh well, like how many could afford it anyway, lol.

BTW, should add it's in most EU Apple Stores at €4K ("4K" – get it!), as well the UK one. But not in the US one, at least not so far.

2. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

Hmmm why picture it it next to an airport express? Or is that the new mini? Lol

3. mpantone macrumors 6502

4. Celedral macrumors 6502

Celedral

hmmm... I'll take the Dell Version. Maybe two for that price.

5. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

Oh yeh -i forget (and i should know as we have one somewhere lol)

Tho i like the idea of it being the new mac mini ;)

6. jimthing, Dec 6, 2013

jimthing thread starter macrumors 6502a

jimthing

I'd suggest this is likely to mean they just cannot make one in time for the new Mac Pro release, so gave up and offered this in their stores instead. Of course, at a whopping price for the early adopter peeps who are the ones most likely to splash the cash early-on without waiting any longer.

7. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

or they want gauge demand so they can set their production runs more accurately ;)

8. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

You're reading too much into the sale of that one Sharp display.

Apple sells 3rd party items on their Online Store all the time. They sell anything from third party cables (Belkin) to third party speakers (Bose and Beats).

I really don't think this means that an Apple 4K monitor is coming any time soon.

9. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I am not sure why you're laughing at the price. RRP in the US is reported as $4,999, which is £3063, add VAT, customs etc and £3,499 seems like a fair price. People always complain about the price discrepancy between the US and Europe. In this case it seems pretty fair to me.

10. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

This is the first non-Apple display to ever appear on Apple's site AFAIK, which is a big deal with all the wild speculation Apple are about to release their own.

11. N19h7m4r3 macrumors 65816

N19h7m4r3

Yup for once it's not too bad.

Although Personally I'd prefer to get the Dell 32" just for their monitor warranty service, and known quality.

12. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Indeed. I do not need all of the fancy colour processing and calibration, hence the "cheap" 28" Dell 4K looks pretty good to me.

13. N19h7m4r3 macrumors 65816

N19h7m4r3

I'm waiting for some in-depth reviews, if it's still a decent quality IPS panel I'll certainly have a gander.
    Hopefully the quality difference between the 24", 32", and 28" aren't drastic.

14. jimthing, Dec 6, 2013

jimthing thread starter macrumors 6502a

jimthing

Where did I say I was laughing at the price discrepancy between the US and Europe?
    You miss my point entirely. I wasn't laughing at the price difference between US and UK (any moron can work out the VAT/duties issue). I was laughing at how expensive the thing is PERIOD.

I'm not naive that such displays are ever 'cheap', and these are not aimed at the mass market (yet), but let's be honest £3.5K is quite some dough for a computer display regardless of how high quality it may be, and is even more expensive than the base-end 6-core new Mac Pro – so clearly aimed at users with reasonably serious money to spend.

The reason this is notable, is Apple have never sold a non-Apple display in their store before, so it's a massive signpost to everyone that they WILL NOT be releasing their own 4K in the near future for release with or near the nMPro.
    Sure, an Apple one may come later, but definitely not now that's for sure.

15. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Fair enough. Unfortunately 4K tech is still very expensive and there is a piece for early adopters.

16. cs02rm0 macrumors member

The price sounds incredible compared to the 32". Hopefully it's not too good to be true, but if it's terrible at least the 32" is an option still.

17. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

Given how bad Sharp's displays are in Apple products you'd have to be incredibly brave to drop this kind of money on one of their monitors.

18. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

The Dell 24" 4K with all of fancy features is listed as $1499 on Dell's website, so that is another decent option.

19. jimthing thread starter macrumors 6502a

jimthing

Yeah, in UK money that's close (though not quite the same) cost for the Dell 24" to Apple's current 27" Apple Thunderbolt Display – certainly most pro users are not going to quibble over a couple of hundred quid (once VAT is added here) to get the Dell 24" 4K if that's a screen size they are happy to go with.

I notice the nMP only has HDMI 1.4 (upto 4K at 30Hz), but the HDMI 2.0 spec offers 4K at 60Hz (120Hz too?). No idea what Thunderbolt 2 can handle over its DisplayPort transport??

The 2.0 spec has only very recently been ratified though, so I presume it was not available for Apple to include in the nMP just yet.

Read something about many 1.4 devices being able to receive a software update to be able to handle the new 2.0 standard, so I wonder if the nMP is one of them?
    Is 60Hz or even 120Hz a big deal?

Anyone know?

20. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

TB2 supports display port 1.2. DP 1.2 is required for 4k at 60 Hz. Theoretically this should work on the nMP, so I am hoping there won't be any driver issues.

21. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Plastic mac mini? I hope not! :eek:

22. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

23. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

3K for the Display. It's funny how some people think Apple will bring a Retina iMac next year. I think we will have to wait at least two years for that...

24. JeffiJers macrumors 6502a

I agree... Or at minimum it will not replace the current iMac and will be offered at an extreme i mean premium price.

25. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

I'd rather stick with NEC or Eizo thanks. Won't be long now IMO. Still however be out of my price range. Must check tonight lottery numbers....