Apple sending a replacement phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by snarestud940, Sep 25, 2014.

1. snarestud940 macrumors 6502a

So my vibration motor does not work in my iPhone 6+. I called up Apple since I have apple care plus, and they are sending me a brand-new iPhone 6+ in the mail. Should be here in 2 to 3 days. They said that I can most likely keep this phone. And send back the one that I have now. However, they said that it is possible that they will send me the repair phone back. Does anyone know about this? I figured that I would just be able to keep the new one that they will be sending me? Either way, I don't care as long as the problem is fixed.

2. snarestud940 thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. dsh3 macrumors 6502

dsh3

Can't really help you with a correct answer, but why don't you call them again ask again to make sure how it will happen?

4. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

I believe once you get the new replacement phone, you send your old one back and it's done. They don't send you your old one back. I never even heard that Apple will send back your old one back.

5. snarestud940 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Agreed. I just called. It will be shipped today. A brand new one. I was shocked I didnt have to wait a long time. Is this common?

6. aristobrat macrumors G5

They've always shipped the same day I called (if I called in the morning/early afternoon), or the next day (if I called later in the evening).

Apple's been doing "modular" repairs for some warranty items. I've seen folks with broken cameras get a loaner phone, and then their original phone (with a new camera) was sent back to them. I could see that happen with the vibrator motor. Although being so close after launch, I'd think they'd just want to send a whole new phone out and not bother with the repair/return...

7. snarestud940 thread starter macrumors 6502a

They told me I will keep the new phone they send me. I assume it will be new and not a refurb?

8. Cojm macrumors member

typically from my experience (retail) when a new phone is launched there are two supplies sent on the first day of sales, new phones, and genius bar replacement models, all these phones are made on the same line however some are split for packaging and some are set aside and put in the cases you see at the genius bar. This is most likely what you will be mailed, it will not include your charger or new accessories.

9. snarestud940 thread starter macrumors 6502a

But new right?

10. Cojm macrumors member

^

11. aristobrat macrumors G5

Service replacements can be refurbed or brand new.

Refurbs come in brand new exterior shells (i.e. no customer has ever touched that aluminum before), with a brand new battery, and in the same shrink wrap.

You shouldn't be able to visibly tell the difference between a refurb and a brand new replacement. People used to be able to tell by looking at the serial number, but it seems like over the last few years, Apple has made the serial numbers of refurbs harder to figure out.

Since the new iPhones just launched, I don't think Apple has had time to collect enough returned/broken phones to refurbish them and start shooting them out as service replacements. My guess is that you'll get a brand new replacement.

You're also within your 14 day return window. If you don't like how Apple does service replacements, you're within you rights to return your broken iPhone, and then try to buy another one. That'll absolutely positively guarantee that you get a brand new replacement.

12. snarestud940 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. The customer service representative said that there has been no time for them to get a refurbished phone. The new phone just came out. so mine should be new?

13. aristobrat macrumors G5

My guess is that since the new phone just came out, your replacement should be new.

If you need it replaced anytime after a month or so, then it's likely to be refurbished.

14. snarestud940 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. What do u guys think the shipping will be? Next day or two day air?

15. Jalopybox macrumors 6502a

Jalopybox

You maybe charged $29.99 for express return. They usually fail to mention this part.

16. snarestud940 thread starter macrumors 6502a

What is that? For getting a new phone?

17. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Has nothing to do with new or refurbed, it is the cost of postage on the Express return. If you did not specify you will get it 2nd day likely.

Just remember that when the time comes to sell, your original box serila number will not match with your new phone.

18. snarestud940 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I hear ya. Will it be flown out from Cupertino? Or China like my original phone was? And yeah. Long as the phone is new, I don't care.

19. Jalopybox macrumors 6502a

Jalopybox

If they fedex you a replacement phone, yes, they charge you for the shipping.

20. snarestud940 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's okay. As long as I get a new phone. I'm okay with it. Thank you for the response though!

21. aristobrat macrumors G5

Mine have always come from a parts depot in PA.

22. snarestud940 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Great! Hopefully it will ship today, and I will have it tomorrow!

23. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

I have never, ever, had Apple charge any shipping for replacing a defective item. They've always paid for shipping both directions.

It has been a while since I've used their mail in service option, so maybe they've changed things.

24. aristobrat macrumors G5

I think the $29 fee is for "advanced replacements" (for iPhones/iPads), where they'll ship your replacement before you've shipped in your broken unit.

This fee is covered if you have ApplCare+, and I've seen posts here where they seem to waive this fee for people who have problems right after buying something. :)

25. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

It will come from stateside not China.

Pretty sure it will be new as there has been so little time for them to get refurbs up and running.

Enjoy