Apple Sending Emails to iPhone Upgrade Program Customers Who Had iPhone X Pre-Order Failures [Updated]

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 27, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple this evening began sending emails to customers who attempted to pre-order an iPhone X through the iPhone Upgrade Program but ran into a problem during the process.

In the email Apple asks customers to place a new iPhone Upgrade Program order and to reply to the email with the order number. It's not clear why Apple is asking for order numbers, but it could be that the company is planning to expedite these orders in some way.

[​IMG]

The email says Apple is working to get iPhone X models out as soon as possible, but the wording doesn't necessarily suggest an order upgrade or faster shipping, so it's possible Apple is just making sure its iPhone Upgrade Program customers have the chance to place an order.

Customers receiving these emails seem to have been told during ordering that their loan applications with Citizens One were taking longer to process than expected, and many later received notice that their orders were not initially approved. These customers were forced to order at a later date and now have delivery estimates of five to six weeks for their new devices.

If it does turn out Apple is planning to expedite the orders of these customers in some way, we'll update this post, but at the current time, it's unclear what Apple's plans are.

Update: Apple is indeed attempting to fix this problem for its iPhone Upgrade Program customers. Many people who were affected by the order failure issue are being given improved delivery estimates that match the delivery dates they would have received should their orders have originally gone through.

Article Link: Apple Sending Emails to iPhone Upgrade Program Customers Who Had iPhone X Pre-Order Failures [Updated]

2. borninla macrumors newbie

Talked to an Apple rep about this earlier. He did confirm they are trying to expedite the orders for the affected customers.

3. Greenlee, Oct 27, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2017

Greenlee macrumors member

Greenlee

Apple / Tim Cook should honor, with expedited priority, the orders of those who said on here that the app & website were experiencing glitches.

The fault is on their end, not the consumer.

4. dfnj123, Oct 27, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2017

dfnj123 macrumors 6502a

At least Apple is trying to do right for people who experienced preordering snafus. I actually did not apply for one of the Critizen One loans this year because I was concerned glitches like these would occur.

Apple really needs to re-examine how they do their preordering process. A mad rush a 12AM PST doesn’t seem to be practical anymore.

5. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

I hope your wishes are granted

My order is in preparing to ship :D

6. B4U macrumors 68000

B4U

Crossing my fingers now after receiving the email and replied back to them. Really wanted to get it by Thanksgiving Day to use with the watch and start working out more.

7. Dormammu macrumors 65816

Dormammu

A mysterious location in the middle of nowhere
    To be fair you don’t need the phone to start working out more. Plus, after turkey day I’m in a month long food coma ... no exercise. Lol!

8. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

Initially I bought the watch for the same reason. Took me almost a year from when I got the series 2 to start hitting the gym 5 days a week.

I actually only started hitting the gym to get out of a mind funk, but it's helped me lose weight too. Who would have thought?

Anywho, having the watch is pretty awesome now. Helped me burn 500 active calories in one 3.5 mile run on the treadmill yesterday. When I felt like giving up, it heled me see my goal and finish it through.

9. B4U, Oct 27, 2017

B4U macrumors 68000

B4U

It simply helps with motivation. See below.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 27, 2017 ---
    I was hitting the gym at least 5 days a week before I got the DD214.
    The whole world changed upside down afterwards, where I simply lost the motivation to keep doing that.
    Gained over 50 pounds since then and know that is bad for my health deep in my heart.

Now after watching the keynote on the Watch series 3, I think I found the motivator but had to return it back to the store (delivered 2 weeks early!) because the phone order is not arriving on the expected date.
    So, crossing fingers and wish everyone who were stuck with the pre-order to have the best of luck.

10. Markarian421 macrumors member

Markarian421

When I was ordering I ran into a bug where a pre-filled and formatted second phone number field was giving an error about the formatting. I tried (and failed) to order a couple times before I decided to just delete the phone number (which turned out to be optional) and the order finally went through.

11. ButterF1ngers macrumors newbie

ButterF1ngers

I was hitting the place order button non-stop from 6:01pmAET with the iPhone X in my shopping cart but alas, have to wait until 28/11 - 4/12 :( Ah well!!!!!!!!

12. I’mpaced, Oct 27, 2017

I’mpaced Suspended

I’mpaced

Apple isn’t the only company getting hit at midnight. It’s not a midnight issue...it’s an Apple issue

13. GadgetBen macrumors 6502a

GadgetBen

What about all the people who encountered an error with the Apple Store app?

I had a shipping time of 1 week with the iPhone X in my bag and then I got an error message.

By the time it let me checkout the shipping time had slipped.

I blame Macrumors

14. X38 macrumors 6502

I had this exact issue and got that email this evening. When I first place the order, it said there was a delay with Citizens One but that I should NOT try to reorder as that would cause even more delay. Several hours later I got the email the the Citizens One application failed and that I now SHOULD reorder. I first tried to contact the help chat to see what was wrong, but got a message that the help line was unavailable due to overload. So I just reentered the exact same order with the exact same information and it worked just fine the second time and got the Citizens One approval in less than an hour. The only difference was the originally quoted 2-3 weeks delivery slipped to 5-6 weeks.

Of course there was the other issue of not being able to even get into the online store until about 15 minutes past the hour despite constant refreshing of Safari on my Mac and the Apple Store App on my phone.

It does seem like maybe it would be better to have a process for getting the credit application pre-approved some time in advance of the order opening date.

15. the-msa macrumors 6502

I mean, you can start to work out more without gadgets too, you know...

16. D-Willy macrumors newbie

D-Willy

I’m still waiting to get one of those emails...they need to make this right.

17. Jarman74 macrumors regular

Jarman74

Sure, but maybe you underestimate that motivation can produce learning on a scale compared to mere discipline as a nuclear explosion to a firecracker.

18. Mike MA macrumors 68000

Mike MA

Honestly, this is what I appreciate with Apple. They could have just set back and made some 3rd party backend problem responsible. Some people might now see and improvement or not, but at least it‘s being acknowledged on a personal level. Not only via press release.

19. - rob - macrumors 6502

- rob -

Same.

I was in at 12:05 though, and initially had a 11/3 9:30am appointment to pick up.

This was my first time trying IUP.

I had given up but went ahead and tried again after getting this email.

My new order has shipping mid December. I am very curious if this manual handling will get me back to the front of the line.

Btw, I used the exact same card that had issues at on-sale in my subsequent, successful order.

20. gixxerfool macrumors 65816

gixxerfool

I didn’t order. My last pre-order was for my 6S plus. After that debacle, on a seemingly calm pre-order, I decided to not per-order again. Ever. It’s too much hassle. It’s better to wait for hardware issues to be sorted and I would rather be able to walk in and pick it up with no lines or mayhem.

They know this is always going to be a nutty process, yet they seem to not sort it out. Like someone posted above, allow a potential customer to apply for the credit ahead of the order so it’s not an issue. Maybe do a lottery for available units so there isn’t a mad rush “to the door”. There are ways to mitigate all this, but ultimately seem unwillingly.

On a side note, people blame Apple for the issue, isn’t AWS’ servers they lease? I’m sure there’s enough blame to go around.

21. Phonephreak macrumors 6502a

Phonephreak

Or you can put technology aside and go for a walk. I never understood this.

22. MH01 Suspended

MH01

This is sad, the ordering system was such a mess, they are reaching out to the customer for details...... owww dear....

23. Mr.Bigglesworth macrumors regular

Mr.Bigglesworth

What they should do is a take a play out of Verizon’s book. Allow people to pre order on their website 10 min or a certain time before the flood gates open. This will allow for less bottlenecking and less traffic entering all at once.

Over at the Verizon thread, you’ll see over 30 pages of people chanting and many exclamation points of excitement from their smooth and effortless pre order process with launch day delivery. I recommend you drop financing with Apple and start to finance with your carrier.

Apple has to cater to the entire world on pre order day. Your carrier just caters to its own customers. And if you’re front and center, you WILL get a launch day delivery.

This is my 5th iPhone pre ordered on VZW.Com

iPhone 5 launch day
    iPhone 5s launch day
    iPhone 6 Plus launch day
    iPhone 7 Plus launch day
    iPhone X launch day delivery

And all of them where pre ordered on their website minutes before Apple did theirs. All under 2 minutes with me reading everything.

It’s a no brainer my friend.

24. stagemanagerav macrumors member

I haven't received this e-mail yet. Anyone have the address it came from so I can reach out?

25. Daoyee macrumors member

I would like one of these nice emails. Since my shipping time slipped by 2 weeks after confirmation.

If they want people to use the Apple upgrade program, then give returning customers priority.