Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As Apple gears up for its 2020 WWDC event that will be held in a digital-only capacity, the company today sent out invites inviting members of the media to tune in to the keynote that's set to take place on Monday, June 22.

applemediainvite.jpg
Image via Matthew Panzarino

Apple will hold its keynote event at the standard time, 10:00 a.m. Pacific Time. While the event will be digital only with no non-employees attending, Apple execs will be broadcasting from Apple Park.

"Join us for the first all-online WWDC, kicking off on June 22 with a Special Event Keynote coming to you from Apple Park," reads the invitation.

Some people have noted that much of Apple's wording around the invite does not include the word "live," which suggests that Apple will be recording the keynote in advance and then broadcasting it on June 22.

Apple today also updated its main Apple.com website to invite all Apple users to watch the keynote event in addition to media and sent out invites to developers.

applestandardinvite.jpg

Apple plans to share broadcast the keynote through the Events tab on the Apple TV, through the Events section of the Apple website, on YouTube, in the Apple Developer app, and on the Apple Developer website.

For those unable to watch the livestream, MacRumors will have a live blog on the MacRumors.com site and will also live tweet through the MacRumorsLive Twitter account.

Article Link: Apple Sends Out Invites for Digital WWDC Event

lyngo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
Well, this is going to be interesting to see things in action without having a crowd in attendance. I am looking forward to seeing what sort of OS updates there will be in the pipeline in their presentations.

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
I'll be ready to stream. Less cheering this year, o well.

Thank goodness. I find the constant whooping and cheering to be irritating at times.

I suspect is is pre-recorded. Why present it live with no audience when they dont have to - and then they can be sure its as slick as they want it to be.

I hope it does back to live post-covid... as it will loose something not being live.

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
I wonder if the product/feature intros will be pre-recorded since they don’t need to work the audience? I wonder if they’ll pipe in applause since they’ll be missing that feedback even if it is anemic when only the Apple employees applaud.

Reactions: DramaticView

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
Why would they pipe in applause? It’s a developers conference, during a worldwide pandemic and nationwide protests. Not a live taping of Big Bang Theory.
The keynote has become very much a public-facing event, decreasingly oriented toward developers. (For them, there’s the Platforms State of the Union later in the day.) I’d be surprised if they didn’t have some kind of plan in place to have a smattering of folks there to applaud — they’d almost certainly rather not have an event at all than have an event with zero feedback. Optics.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
I’d expect there’s going to be a lot more cinematic content this time around. Watching Apple execs in their living room isn’t compelling, nor is watching them pace a stage without an audience. I suspect they’ll try to get creative with the format rather than make it look like the keynotes we all see from home, but for everyone.

Demo time should be better if we don’t need a stage view— just screen share.

edgonzalez32

Suspended
Jul 21, 2011
Of course you ****ing need catalina.
[automerge]1592246288[/automerge]
I’d expect there’s going to be a lot more cinematic content this time around. Watching Apple execs in their living room isn’t compelling, nor is watching them pace a stage without an audience. I suspect they’ll try to get creative with the format rather than make it look like the keynotes we all see from home, but for everyone.

Demo time should be better if we don’t need a stage view— just screen share.
Idk man, I prefer the living room backdrops. Especially people that are leaning into it. It's not so sterile.

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
Why would they pipe in applause? It’s a developers conference, during a worldwide pandemic and nationwide protests. Not a live taping of Big Bang Theory.
First, it was a bit of a joke... Second, because presenters like applause and Apple has clearly orchestrated their announcements to receive applause at every feature and bullet point.
[automerge]1592247501[/automerge]
Likely. That way they can polish the presentation nicely, Nintendo Direct style.
That would be ideal for sure but you do lose something with a slick pre-record. But this is a less-than-ideal situation no matter how you look at it.

iFan

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2007
Since they mention the location as Apple Park and not specifically Steve Jobs theatre, I’d love to get a glimpse of more of the offices! Each product manager/VP presenting their portion from their own lab or office. A hardware device being unveiled directly where it was developed. Lots of cool opportunities.

erasr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2007
I think they’ll do it exactly as they normally do, just without the live audience obviously.

From living rooms? Don’t be daft, these living room streams look like an ISIS video.

Reactions: DramaticView

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
Entire thing recorded and Johnny’s Old white room, using the super steady hand from all the old iPhone commercials for the demos.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I'll be ready to stream. Less cheering this year, o well.

Honestly, I've been sick of the front 3 row cheerleading staff cheering for years now. Let the audience, outside developers and users decide for themselves what is really worthy of cheers. Don't coax them to be polite and follow suit.

Let the products, services, and features speak on their own merits.

Reactions: bchery21
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.