Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The photographers who had their photos featured in an assortment of billboards and TV ads for the "Shot on iPhone 6" ad campaign Apple ran to promote its iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus have begun receiving a set of special coffee table photo books that include their artwork.

iphonebook2.jpg
Image via Brendan Ó Sé

Cult of Mac spoke to photographer Brendan Ó Sé, one of the lucky few to receive one of the books after having his photo featured as part of the campaign. He said the cloth-covered high-quality books came as a surprise and were even shipped with a set of white gloves for viewing.

iphonebook1.jpg
Image via Brendan Ó Sé
"It was totally out of the blue," photographer Brendan Ó Sé, of Cork, Ireland, told Cult of Mac. "Naturally, I looked for my own photo, but seeing those of the friends I've made over this campaign added to the surprise and thrill."
One of the books, "The Photographs" includes the photos that were used in the ad campaign, while the other, "The Gallery," features shots of the photographs on billboards around the world. With the billboards now largely replaced with new content for the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus, the photo books serve as a memento for those who had their iPhone 6 images included in the campaign.

An Imgur album of some of the photos. Click this link to view the images on mobile devices.

Ó Sé's photograph was taken in Berlin, but the ads that went up around the world featured a wide assortment of images from places like United States, Canada, Japan, Iceland, South Korea, China, Scotland, Indonesia, Thailand and New Zealand. In total, more than 77 photographers across 70 cities and 40 countries were featured.

Article Link: Apple Sends 'Shot on iPhone 6' Photographers Special Photo Books

Reactions: appledefenceforce

Mums

Suspended
Oct 4, 2011
Hmm, I feel reminded of Aperture's EXCELLENT photo book creation process.

Damn, I will miss these. It's been such a great tool. Farewell, Aperture.

Glassed Silver:mac

I'm glad to read someone else appreciated the Aperture photobooks! I miss that. Blurb is really good, but Aperture had it so well thought out and streamlined.

netwalker

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2007
Did the featured photographers also get paid for the worldwide usage of their photos?

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Why did apple discontinue Aperture? seems like it's fan support was ubiquitous.
Great question for Tim to talk about in length, you know, beyond some BS PR hogwash talk, but as per usual, real pro user questions barely ever make it into these interviews.

Instead, what we all really need to know months ahead is if we'll get the iMac in rose gold or some other stupid question like that, I don't know, I don't really pay a lot of attention to many of these now ever increasing interviews anymore, especially when the outlet/show lets me assume it's all about fashion again anyways and the articles tell me I'm right to assume that.

Yay, new Apple Watch wrist bands, so unexpected.

Glassed Silver:ios

SteveJobs2.0

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Apple gave this the white glove treatment to try and give this the appearance of a high art object. They already tried a similar approach in trying to position the Apple Watch as a luxury timepiece. However, as the word "try" implies, I doubt that they have achieved their objective.

Reactions: unplugme71

realeric

macrumors 65816
Jun 19, 2009
United States
Apple should have spent more time not on publishing a photo book but on developing a decent camera. iPhone 6s camera lags behind other competitors' one now.

Sonmi451

Suspended
Aug 28, 2014
Tesla
Apple should have spent more time not on publishing a photo book but on developing a decent camera. iPhone 6s camera lags behind other competitors' one now.

What?? The iPhone 6S camera is amazing. I rarely even use my DSLR. Camera phones have made amazing strides in the last 5-10 years. Also, Apple doesn't manufacture their own cameras.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
Now that would be a *excellent* coffee table book - albeit, a coffee table that has a strict no beverage rule. A very inspiring token of appreciation.

You're absolutely right - Apple is composed of a single consciousness and it can only do one thing at a time.

That's some serious time management skill right there.

For the actual content of your ill-worded post - I would agree that Apple is no longer clearly leading the pack as it once did in camera quality. But that's a discussion for another thread.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
It still works though, doesn't it? I have always meant to put a photo book together in Aperture and never got around to it. Did they discontinue the service?
Maybe, I'll actually have to try sometime soon, I had something planned for photo book creation anyways, so it'll be interesting to see.

I know you can export photo books from Aperture too and have them printed elsewhere, but I really loved not only the tool, but also Apple's actual printing service and the offered quality.
I know Photos has a photo book service, but I have yet to test it, well, quite frankly I probably won't anytime soon, because I despise Photos on Mac and refuse to downgrade to it.

I could of course leave my Aperture running and launch Photos for a trial run to see if I can have my Aperture photo book export printed through Photos if Aperture itself won't send to Apple's services directly, but that seems a bit cumbersome, then again the whole leaving Aperture users in the dust is cumbersome, so it might be the way forward. Ugh...
Let's hope it just works still.

Reactions: vjl323

vjl323

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2005
Western North Carolina
I know you can export photo books from Aperture too and have them printed elsewhere, but I really loved not only the tool, but also Apple's actual printing service and the offered quality.
I know Photos has a photo book service, but I have yet to test it, well, quite frankly I probably won't anytime soon, because I despise Photos on Mac and refuse to downgrade to it.

Love the photo books from Aperture. Love Aperture. My favorite app ever [and i have been using it since before it was officially released]. I'm still on 10.9 because of Aperture [my 10.10 experience on my laptop has been horrific, so i upgraded it back to 10.9 and kept my desktop on 10.9]. 10.11 looks like a 10.6 kinda release - but how does Aperture run on it? I know it is not officially supported, but if it runs smooth, I'll take my laptop to 10.11 and take one of my upgraded libraries for a test spin on it.

I wonder if Apple use Aperture to do these photo books??

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Love the photo books from Aperture. Love Aperture. My favorite app ever [and i have been using it since before it was officially released]. I'm still on 10.9 because of Aperture [my 10.10 experience on my laptop has been horrific, so i upgraded it back to 10.9 and kept my desktop on 10.9]. 10.11 looks like a 10.6 kinda release - but how does Aperture run on it? I know it is not officially supported, but if it runs smooth, I'll take my laptop to 10.11 and take one of my upgraded libraries for a test spin on it.

I wonder if Apple use Aperture to do these photo books??
As for 10.11, my experience is that Aperture runs a-ok so far, didn't encounter any problems for now and Apple is well-advised to keep it this way unless they want to piss everyone off even more.

As for Apple's photo book printing service, I don't understand what you mean by that.
Apple don't use Aperture to print the book you send to them as a file ready-to-print.
Aperture is the software that creates a file that can be printed, much like Photos probably does, after that, Apple forwards these files to their contracted printing companies around the world, depending on your location and there's no further involvement of someone sitting there fiddling with an Aperture set up to do... well what? The layout is done already.

Maybe I'm totally missing your point though. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.