Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A couple weeks ago Vellum's James Pinkstone wrote on his blog that Apple Music and iTunes Match deleted 122 GB of his personal music collection. The post kicked off a wave of speculation about whether Apple Music intentionally deletes users' music. Apple eventually confirmed that the deletion was a glitch and that a fix was incoming. Today, Pinkstone wrote a blog post detailing how two Apple engineers named Tom and Ezra visited his home to try to recreate the problem.

itunes_match_2015.jpg

Before they arrived, Pinkstone said that Apple told him a couple of things: Amber, the Apple Support Representative who told him the music deletion glitch was a "feature" functioning as intended, was mistaken and the company was convinced the issue wasn't user error.

The engineers spent the day at Pinkstone's house researching the issue, telling Pinkstone to use Apple Music, iTunes and his personal library as he would in the past. The next day, Tom returned to collect the data logs and cleared any evidence of him being on the laptop. Apple's engineers weren't able to recreate the problem, though Pinkstone notes that they did think the issue was a glitch that needed to be combatted. Yesterday's iTunes 12.4 update includes safeguards to protect users from the music deletion bug.

Through an external drive connected to my laptop, we were now using a specialized version of iTunes in the hopes that the deletion would again occur; an idea that we knew may not pan out, since I'd had Apple Music for eight months before that first mass deletion. If something did go wrong, though, this version of iTunes would document what happened in more detail than the consumer version could.
Pinkstone's Apple engineer visit is a good example of how far the Cupertino company will go to try to correct bugs in its products. MacRumors has heard several reports of Apple sending out engineers to the homes of users experiencing unique problems in an attempt to research them for fixes. The entire visit can be read about on Pinkstone's blog.

Article Link: Apple Sent Two Engineers to Customer's House to Figure Out Music Deletion Bug

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
How about sending engineers my way...? I've got this nasty bug on Calendar duplicating and losing events on the local On My Mac account whenever I import Calendar archives created from Calendars of Mavericks till El Crapitan...

Captain Nougat

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2008
Orange County, CA
To me it feels lame or PR. Apple would better spend time on quality testing, there were way too many bugs in recent months including absolutely critical ones which brick users devices.

I don't think Apple forced the guy to write a blog about their visit, they were probably on their way after he posted about the mass deletions. They just sent engineers to troubleshoot it.

You're right though, they need to do more quality testing so the problems like this don't happen in the first place and they don't need to send engineers to people's homes.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
This story sounds like complete *********. Sending out 2 engineers because some dude had some of his music deleted? Really? Then they conveniently erased all trace of them being there. Oh, how cute. They must've come in black Suburbans too. Someone is definitely getting their blog hits now.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
I don't think Apple forced the guy to write a blog about their visit, they were probably on their way after he posted about the mass deletions. They just sent engineers to troubleshoot it.

Of course they didn't. Because they were never there. If they were, I'm sure he would've signed a NDA because Apple engineers driving around town and going to someone's house after the dude posts a blog is downright creepy.

Reactions: M. Gustave

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
They might start sending engineers to those who bricked their iPad Pros. Of course Tim probably just sent a genius and call it engineers so it will got some media attention.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
To me it feels lame or PR. Apple would better spend time on quality testing, there were way too many bugs in recent months including absolutely critical ones which brick users devices.

Oh, no, you must protect the music though! This dude lost his Taylor Swift discography!

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2012
Even macrumors users can ruin this story. The negativity is truly a pain in this site.

On topic: this is phenomenal. The guy lost loads of data and Apple saw that, sympathized and took responsibly. More companies should be like this. Google. Sam, Microsoft, keep your eyes open.

LordBeelzebub

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2013
Apple: "Lets send a team of investigators to his house and debunk this issue before he tries to sue us for all the music he says he lost and a few million more for the 'mental anguish' he claims to now have."

Yeah, that's the real reason why they went.

Reactions: splitpea

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Interesting. Makes for a great PR spot.
Will be interesting to see what the final result is. It would be great if they can identify something that points in the direction of cause. ;)

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
Of course they didn't. Because they were never there. If they were, I'm sure he would've signed a NDA because Apple engineers driving around town and going to someone's house after the dude posts a blog is downright creepy.

Obviously they would have contacted him and gotten his permission first. The rest of your post is speculation at best, and making up lies at worst.
[doublepost=1463543443][/doublepost]
Even macrumors users can ruin this story. The negativity is truly a pain in this site.

On topic: this is phenomenal. The guy lost loads of data and Apple saw that, sympathized and took responsibly. More companies should be like this. Google. Sam, Microsoft, keep your eyes open.

I agree. I wish that the people who just come here to talk about how much they no longer like Apple would grow up and actually switch platforms. But they won't. They don't ACTUALLY want things to be different because at present they have an excuse to endlessly complain.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.