Apple Service Provider Says No To SSD

Discussion in 'iMac' started by honcho, Jul 10, 2011.

  1. honcho macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2011
    #1
    I am about to order myself a new 2011 iMac (i7) but I am in two minds about ordering one with an SSD. Ideally, I would like to be able to install one down the line when (a) I can afford it and (b) I need a speed bump.

    In order to make my decision easier, I asked an established Apple Service Provider here in the UK for a quote. In their detailed response, they estimated the cost at about £200 ($320) for parts and labour. However, they then concluded:

    "It seems that Apple are deliberately making it hard and we wouldn't at this stage recommend doing it."

    Although I have built PCs before, it was always an ordeal so I don't want to install an SSD myself. Nor do I wish to void the warranty. I'm also unclear as to whether AppleCare would be getting an AASP to install an aftermarket SSD? Do I need to find another provider?

    I don't need bleeding-edge speed but it would be nice to be able to have a 120gb Vertex installed as and when I feel the need. Should I just bite the bullet and shell out for the Apple SSD?

    Thanks
     
  2. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

    MythicFrost

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2009
    Location:
    Australia
    #2
    I'd feel pretty uncomfortable about installing an SSD myself, or using a third party provider. It's difficult, and if an Apple retailer won't do it, I say don't do it.

    I'd shell out for the SSD if you can't live with a hard drive, although I don't like the Apple SSDs, they aren't nearly as fast IOPS-wise as Intel's X25-M G2, etc.
     
  3. clyde2801 macrumors 601

    clyde2801

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2008
    Location:
    In the land of no hills and red dirt.
    #3
    Since it looks like TB is going to be bootable, it may be simpler to wait it out a bit and wait for our larcenous friends in the People's Republic to start making cost effective external TB drive bays.

    Give it a few more months, and you'll start seeing them show up on flea-bay.
     
  4. honcho thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2011
    #4
    Thanks for the advice! No, I'm definitely not doing it myself. Although people seem to be having success with DIY installs, my stomach lurches every time I see a pic of an iMac with its innards exposed. :eek:

    I think I'll wait it out. Given time, reasonably-priced TB enclosures will become available. Service providers will also be more familiar with the process and, hopefully, have the necessary parts on hand to swap in an SSD.
     
  5. likegadgets macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2008
    Location:
    US
    #5
    Maybe check with a different Apple authorized service provider. I have called 2 in the Los Angeles Area and both are willing to add on a SSD on a 2011 iMac for afee of $130.
     
  6. BigBeast macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2009
    #6
    Just wait for TB. You won't even need to install.
     
  7. stridemat Moderator

    stridemat

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2008
    Location:
    UK
    #7
    I just went to a reputable local computer guy. Installed and working great.
     
  8. honcho thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2011
    #8
    My only concern with an external TB drive is the space it takes up on my desk but, more importantly, the possibility of noise. Also, there don't seem to be too many TB devices on the horizon. No doubt that will change, though.

    Might be an idea to check out another authorised provider for a second opinion.

    Does anyone know if an install carried out by an AASP would affect AppleCare in any way? I know it doesn't void the standard one-year warranty.
     
  9. VulchR macrumors 68020

    VulchR

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2009
    Location:
    Scotland
    #9
    I used the BTO option, but the SSD won't hold the OS and my data files. Thus I am waiting for TB. Frankly, that is the course of action I would advise you to take after seeing who passes as computer technicians in my area....
     
  10. Gav2k macrumors G3

    Gav2k

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2009
    #10
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

    Unless they get the parts from apple they can't swap a hdd over due to the new temperature probe design.
     
  11. clyde2801 macrumors 601

    clyde2801

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2008
    Location:
    In the land of no hills and red dirt.
    #11
    Yes, but can't they put an ssd into the same space apple uses for the ssd plus hard drive BTO option? I think there's been postings saying this doesn't cause the temp probe/fan speed problems.
     
  12. admanimal macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2005
    #12
    A Thunderbolt-attached SSD will be just as quiet and nearly as small as an internal one.

    I currently have an SSD in a FW800 enclosure attached to my Thunderbolt iMac while I wait for Thunderbolt enclosures (or one of those LaCie drives), and it is hidden behind my iMac on one of these:

    http://www.twelvesouth.com/products/backpack/

    It is silent, invisible, and makes a big speed difference even using FW800.
     
  13. Weaselboy Moderator

    Weaselboy

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2005
    Location:
    California
    #13
    I have been thinking of doing this on my 2010 iMac. So you just select the FW800 SSD as the boot drive and from then on it just boots to that drive by default and otherwise operates normally?
     
  14. likegadgets macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2008
    Location:
    US
    #14
    I too decided to wait for TB external solution rather than opening the iMac.
    Hopefully very soon.
     
  15. philipma1957 macrumors 603

    philipma1957

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2010
    Location:
    Howell, New Jersey
    #15
    yes here is a fw800 on a wall mount 2009 imac out of site out of mind
     

    Attached Files:

  16. honcho thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2011
    #16
    Thanks for all the advice, everyone. Very useful. I've decided to skip the SSD for now. It makes sense for a number of reasons.

    I'm not keen on opening up the machine (with all the attendant risks of hair, dust and everblowing fans) so if I wait for a TB enclosure, I boot off a fast SSD without a speed hit. Plus, the Backpack Shelf for iMac is available in the UK and looks perfect.

    If I understand correctly, secure erase can be a problem with SSDs. If I ever decide to sell the iMac and upgrade to a new model, with an external drive, I won't have to worry about my data. I also wouldn't have to reopen the chassis if an update caused problems with a third-party drive.

    Thanks again :)
     

Share This Page