Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's services category, which includes the App Store, Mac App Store, Apple Music, Apple Pay, AppleCare, Apple TV+, Apple Arcade, Apple News+, Apple Fitness, and more, saw record growth during the second fiscal quarter of 2021 (first calendar quarter).

appleservices-16x9.jpg

According to Apple's earnings report, the services segment brought in $16.9 billion, up 27 percent from the $13.4 billion in revenue services earned in the year-ago quarter. Apple says that new services records were set in each geographic segment.

Apple saw all-time revenue records for the App Store, cloud services, apple Music, payments services, and more. Apple TV+, Apple Arcade, Apple Fitness+, Apple News+, Apple Card, and Apple One are all "continuing to scale across users" and are contributing to overall growth.

Apple saw 40 million paid subscriptions added during the quarter, reaching a total of 660 million paid subscriptions across all services, which is up 145 million from the year-ago quarter.

During the call, Apple CEO Tim Cook highlighted Apple's most recent service announcements, Apple Card Family and podcast subscriptions, both of which are set to launch in the near future.

Article Link: Apple Services Revenue Hits All-Time Record High of $16.9 Billion in Q2 2021

Last edited:

Heathcombe

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2017
Same with Apple Music subscriber numbers, but as another said, best to keep it private.

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
This is why Apple's gross margins were so high. Their services margins are typically 60+% so any growth here really helps Apple keep margins high. This gives them room to lower product margins (which has been the general trend).

Simmias

macrumors regular
May 22, 2010
Tim Cook since 2011: Apple is a hardware + software + services company.
Media/Analysts/Critics: Apple is a hardware company. They don’t get services.

Tim Cook in 2021: Apple is a hardware + software + services company.
Media/Analysts/Critics: Apple is a services company. They don‘t care about hardware anymore.

It‘s astonishing how many people still don’t understand that Apple is a design company focused on user experience, which is the intersection of hardware, software, and services. This is why their products are more than the sum of their parts, and why they’re dominating all 3 areas (as measured by revenue, profit, marketshare, customer satisfaction, etc.)

rafark

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2017
It‘s astonishing how many people still don’t understand that Apple is a design company focused on user experience,
I’m sorry I don’t want to sound rude, but this sounds like corporate bs. Apple sells hardware and software. That’s it.

Reactions: 1258186 and qoop

Mr. Dee

macrumors 601
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I finally caved this year and bought a 50 iCloud storage because I was sick of the nag screens and I just needed to be able to sync files between my various Apple devices. My only problem now is my 2017 iPad Pro 64 GBs of local storage has pretty much ran out. Apple doesn't make it to free up space and this is preventing me from upgrading to iOS 14.5. I surely won't be buying a new iPad though since the one I have does everything.

nims

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2019
That's a lot of $$$ from just services alone. What's Tesla's Revenue again?

Cancelled
Feb 5, 2021
It will be interesting to see how many people will continue to use the Apple AppStore once they are forced to allow competing AppStores

I7guy

macrumors Penryn
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
It will be interesting to see how many people will continue to use the Apple AppStore once they are forced to allow competing AppStores
[/quote]t will be interesting to see how many people will continue to use the Apple AppStore IF they are forced to allow competing AppStores[/quote]
Think the above is more like it.

And hypothetically wonder how fast the ecosystem goes downhill. With malware and spyware galore. With app prices on a race to the bottom due to uncontrolled copy-cat apps etc, because there is no one central authority to control things.

Cancelled
Feb 5, 2021
@17guy

I take it you didn’t read the emails from Apple’s own head of AppStore security that were revealed last week. He described their review process as a complete joke that continuously failed to stop scam apps and crapware from getting onto the AppStore.

I7guy

macrumors Penryn
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
@17guy

I take it you didn’t read the emails from Apple’s own head of AppStore security that were revealed last week. He described their review process as a complete joke that continuously failed to stop scam apps and crapware from getting onto the AppStore.
That still doesn't mean the ecosystem will take a nosedive due to the issues I opined upon. Of course, it's just speculation, but that doesn't mean it can't happen.

Cancelled
Feb 5, 2021
That still doesn't mean the ecosystem will take a nosedive due to the issues I opined upon. Of course, it's just speculation, but that doesn't mean it can't happen.
I didn’t say it would. My OP was speculating whether or not AppStore sales would fall not predicting it. Nobody knows until it actually happens. My own view is that I would be very surprised if Apple AppStore sales didn’t fall to some degree with the advent of competition but who knows.

I7guy

macrumors Penryn
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I didn’t say it would. My OP was speculating whether or not AppStore sales would fall not predicting it. Nobody knows until it actually happens. My own view is that I would be very surprised if Apple AppStore sales didn’t fall to some degree with the advent of competition but who knows.
Whether multiple app stores comes to pass or not is out of my control. I am not for it.

Reactions: 1258186
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.