Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gamesmachinesplay

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2017
Glad to see Apple joining the group. Data is the asset, not the code.. at least today.. I agree Google Now is better today than the rest.. but they are all in kindergarten. and they may all be in college within a few years!

Bromeo

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2015
Near Seattle
Guess I'm the lone person to find Siri useful and sometimes surprisingly helpful. I do think I've subconsciously learned its limitations and strengths and use it for things it's genuinely useful for.

I'm sure it will continue to improve. It wasn't that long ago when it didn't contextually correct words on-the-fly.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
If Steve was half as good as people make him out to be, he would understand that as a CEO, he has to adapt to the changing dynamics of the markets Apple operates in.
People keep saying is the biggest issue if Steve were still around would be we wouldn't have our iPhones would still be stuck at 4".

OMG they're going to create Skynet, aren't they?
Would it make you feel any better if they called it a Cylon? (did make for a better show.... speaking of which.....)

Perhaps they could call it Cortana, but that's already taken :wow:

dan ros

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2017
San Jose
Exclusive Club means restrictive transparency. Ugly results. QUOTE="MacRumors, post: 24236208, member: 3"]

Apple will take a significant step toward disclosing more of its artificial intelligence research this week by becoming a member of a non-profit AI research consortium founded by five of the tech industry's biggest players.

Last September, Amazon, Facebook, Google, Microsoft, and IBM publicly announced The Partnership on AI, an organization established "to study and formulate best practices, to advance the public's understanding of AI, and to serve as an open platform for discussion and engagement about AI and its influences on people and society".

Screen-Shot-5-800x367.jpg

As one of the biggest researchers in AI, Apple's name was conspicuously absent, but that looks set to change in the coming days, following a Bloomberg report on Thursday that Cupertino is ready to add its name to The Partnership's list of corporate heavyweights.
Apple's imminent membership is just the latest indication that the company is prepared to reveal more of its work in areas of artificial intelligence. At an invitation-only AI conference held in Barcelona last month, where Apple employees discussed their work in various related fields, the company announced it would begin allowing its AI and machine learning researchers to publish and share their work in papers.

Two weeks later, the first paper was published, covering Apple's work on intelligent image recognition. Cupertino is also known to be working on a range of other AI projects, including health and vital signs, LiDAR, neural networks, intelligent assistant and language modeling, and activity recognition.

While the Partnership's founding members are committed to publishing a wide range of research under an open license, just how much of this work will be shared remains unclear, but we should know more soon. Apple is expected to announce its membership in the Partnership later this week.

Article Link: Apple Set to Join Microsoft, Google, and Facebook in AI Research Group[/QUOTE]
[doublepost=1485453237][/doublepost]
Collaboration = Good for everyone
Private Club...bad for everyone!

MisterK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2006
Ottawa, Canada
My worry with Apple's whole functional vs. product team setup is that a product that came out last year is never a priority for anyone. iBooks Textbooks and Siri are the two examples that come to mind. If each had a dedicated team or manager, then they'd have the job of continually pushing that forward. Craig Federighi needs to be worried about the next big feature so he can't, by definition, prioritize last year's bullet points. Siri and macOS need to be *someone's* priority.

That said, I'm very excited for the future of AI. What I'm waiting for is someone to tie all the pieces together – voice, gesture, machine learning, AI for a computer to really get what you mean. I'm looking forward to saying "design a character" to a computer and having it make some very good guesses about what I might mean. Then I could offer additional instructions to further clarify and refine the ask. "Nope.. make it a woman", "Make her a bit taller" *as I gesture what a bit really means*. "Let's work on the belt a bit" *it zooms into the belt*...

Think of asking a computer to design you a building and it assumes it has to make something that will meet building codes, have plumbing, electrical, etc. And then you refine from there. Still using a mouse, keyboard or stylus when necessary for finer detail, but really being able to deal with it the same way you would if you were sitting over blueprints with an architect. It making inferences and smart assumptions and the user correcting or asking for other options.

We're a long way off, but I'm happy Apple seems to understand there's a future beyond asking for the weather.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Google and Microsoft's data mining is no secret. Personally I'd rather the 'assistant' on my phone was a little dumber if it meant the company considered my privacy paramount.

Apple will eventually get there; it'll just be a matter of time. They're taking a longer and more difficult route due to their staunch stance on privacy, which I'd argue would be more beneficial in the long run.
"little dumber"? People, here on MR no less, are saying iOS' assistant is far more than "a little dumber" that they don't know if they'll ever catch up.

jyen

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2012
That's one thing that would never have happened under Steve :p

Ha, maybe, maybe not. If Steve were still around and Apple still joined, Steve would've negotiated it so that Apple receives all the credit! :p

r03dz

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2014
Apple will never catch up to Microsoft, Google and Facebook in the field of AI.

albusseverus

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2007
I for one welcome our new robotic overlords.

Agreed. Read the goals carefully. It's a PR organisation to get AI accepted into EVERYTHING. Big profits to become the next big thing for the corporations. Not necessarily for us. Ai has always been 10 years away because we can't get it any better than the old computer psychologist parsing basic sentences, only now it does it with voice & satellite maps. It will be the most intrusive tech, and gold for law enforcement - that's why they need to control the message with a PR organisation.

Bring on Skynet. And the sheep will be giggling at how their AI can anticipate their "needs" as we're slowly corralled into following the wills of corporations and government. Why destroy humanity when you can enslave it?

JGRE

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Dutch Mountains
Sometimes one does not need look past the operator of a device to see the problem...
[doublepost=1485448204][/doublepost]

You probably do not understand what I was trying to say, looking at your comment.
[doublepost=1485469755][/doublepost]
As long as they base the kernel on the Three Laws of Robotics then I shall welcome our new robot overlords.
[doublepost=1485445187][/doublepost]

I'm from Michigan and when I speak with virtually no accent (relative to Californians) you have no clue what answers I get when using Siri.

With every new iOS version I try Siri a few times and just give up. It's useless to me.

It's like talking to a dock...........rather a goldfish.

RodoBobJon

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2017
This is a smart and classic business strategy: commoditize your complements. If quality AI tech becomes widespread and freely available, Apple can integrate it with their iPhones which is where they'll provide differentiation.

Google and Facebook have similar motives. They don't believe machine learning algorithms will be a differentiating technology. Rather, they believe their huge amounts of data that they can feed into such algorithms will be their differentiation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.