Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple-Bonds.jpg
Apple is set to issue bonds in Taiwan with the aim of raising $1 billion, according to Reuters.

The news signals the company's first attempt to sell bonds on the island where many of its supply chain partners operate, such as iPhone manufacturer Foxconn, contract chipmaker TSM, and camera lens producer Largan Precision.

The move would place Apple alongside a number of big global names that have already sold billions of dollars on Taiwan's debt market. In December, for example, Intel sold $915 million of 30-year bonds with yields of 4.7 percent. Sales of bonds by global brewer Anheuser Busch InBev with the same maturity shortly followed to the tune of $1.47 billion, yielding 4.9 percent for the company.

"Taiwan insurance companies don't have enough good (quality) fixed-income investment targets," an unnamed securities house official told Reuters. "But their funds continue to grow because in this low rate macro-environment, consumers prefer to buy financial products offered by insurance companies rather than park money in a bank deposit."

Apple appears ready to take advantage of the current liquidity of Taiwan's flush bond market, where long-term buyers of debt continue to seek creditworthy names in a race for higher yields. Cash-rich investors have reportedly made the island a haven for debt financing, and Apple's planned entrance into the market is likely to help the company secure solid partnership with its suppliers.

The U.S. dollar bonds will have a tenor of 30 years and be redeemable after the second year, sources told Reuters. Apple declined to comment, while the OTC exchange said it wasn't aware of any plan by Apple to issue bonds. However, bond issuers only need three days or less to notify the exchange before being listed.

Update: Apple will also be issuing bonds in Australia, and possibly Japan and Singapore, as part of broader plans to raise up to $4 billion in debt in the Asia-Pacific region.

Article Link: Apple Set to Raise Up to $4 Billion in Asia-Pacific From Bond Sales [Updated]

Fall Under Cerulean Kites

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2016
Have Apple not heard of lottery scratch cards? They could have invested the same money in those instead? OK they're a helluva high risk but the profits come fast! :D

According to the aricle, Apple is not investing in the bond market. They are issuing bonds. Big difference.

I’m not sure why they’re doing this though. (I’m not an expert on bonds). Other than raising capital, what reason would a company issue bonds?

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
According to the aricle, Apple is not investing in the bond market. They are issuing bonds. Big difference.

I’m not sure why they’re doing this though. (I’m not an expert on bonds). Other than raising capital, what reason would a company issue bonds?

Guess: they need more cash there and there are not enough sales there to fund expansion or other business out of cash flow. Moving cash from some other country to there might have some kind of tax and the ability to pay what needs to be paid in some other country where cash is piled up may not be feasible (and or minimize taxes). So they do this, raise a billion dollars locally for basically handing out some pieces of paper and use the billion to fund operations there.

Or maybe someone in power there requires Apple to do some debt-based business with their cousin to be granted some special favor.

Or worse.

Apparently Apple does have a pile of cash. But they are also taking on debt at various places around the world. Why? And how does one reconcile that? It's probably something like I just described- taxes, local "you scratch my back..." politics or similar. In a perfect world, money piled up anywhere could be used anywhere else without a bunch of hands behind the scenes doing a shake-down. In this world though, the back-room wheeling & dealing thrives (as does the bankers pressing everyone and every kind of entity to take on debt)... so seemingly illogical actually makes the most sense when you can see all of the details.

Scottsoapbox

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2014
This article has so many errors about how bonds work.

Tim: go read a Wikipedia article or two on investing before posting more confused misinformation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.