Apple Sets Purchase Limits on New iPad Pro, New MacBook Air, and iPhones

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple this week set purchase limits on its newly updated iPad Pro and MacBook Air models, its entire range of iPhone models, and the Mac mini on its online store in the United States and Canada, Europe, Asia, and several other regions.

The new MacBook Air and the Mac mini are limited to five orders per customer, for example, while the new iPad Pro is limited to two 11-inch models and two 12.9-inch models per customer. There is also a limit of two iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone 11, iPhone XR, iPhone 8, and iPhone 8 Plus models per customer.

Apple commonly places purchase limits on products in some Asian countries to combat the gray market, such as the AirPods Pro, but these expanded restrictions could be an effort to balance supply and demand amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

Update: This post has been updated to reflect that the purchase limits appear to be in place on select products worldwide, not just in Asian countries. While there is no fine print reflecting these limits on Apple's website outside of Asia, the quantity limits are in place during the checkout process.

Article Link: Apple Sets Purchase Limits on New iPad Pro, New MacBook Air, and iPhones

Last edited:

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
Are you sure this is also not in the US? I tried to add 4 to a cart yesterday that we needed for testing purposes, and got an error that I can only order a maximum of two. The website doesn't spell it out clearly, but try adding more than two to a single order.

konqerror

macrumors 68000
Dec 31, 2013
These limits should be in place permanently for families and individual consumers. Unless you buy in behalf of a business or an institution and state it as such in your purchase, why would you be buying more than five macs, four ipads, etc.
It's always been something like 5 units max in the US, and it's true on other companies such as Dell and Lenovo. It's not just for scalping and fraud, but it's a "scope clause" for the business sales people and their quotas.

ruka.snow

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2017
These limits should be in place permanently for families and individual consumers. Unless you buy in behalf of a business or an institution and state it as such in your purchase, why would you be buying more than five macs, four ipads, etc.
16 kids all need their own iPad maybe? But more seriously I could see someone buying 3 iPads for the kids each, one for yourself and one for the spouse. Then the maths stops adding up unless you have four kids.

Dave-Z

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
The only reason to limit the sale is because of profit losses due to grey market sales, or to try to make things fair if supply/demand isn't balanced. Any other reason and Apple is reducing their revenue.

Reactions: CarlJ and V.K.

Joe Rossignol

Editor
Staff member
May 12, 2012
Toronto
Are you sure this is also not in the US? I tried to add 4 to a cart yesterday that we needed for testing purposes, and got an error that I can only order a maximum of two. The website doesn't spell it out clearly, but try adding more than two to a single order.
Thanks Dave! Hadn't noticed. Updated our story.

Reactions: CarlJ and DaveOP

mtneer

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2012
How is "per customer" defined - by each credit card number, Apple account or shipping/ billing address?

Reactions: HarryWild

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
I have the 2017 12.9 iPad Pro and I love it, just can’t justify upgrading as much as I want to. My strategy these days is to run my Apple devices until they stop getting support.
That’s what I do anyway at anytime. Due the high cost I try to milk it to a max. I have the iPad Pro 2017 like yours, iPhone 7+, MBP 2015, MP 2010 and ACD 2006. Yes I’m broke But all of it work just fine.

iGeneo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2010
I have the 2018 11". Really love it, but at times I wish I had the 12.9. Was considering this one, but my config would be $1499 (512GB + LTE)

Decided to holdout for now, time to preserve cash for a while. The bank account is pretty fat these days due just closing escrow on a piece of land, but still.. I'll ride it for a while. Now is a better time to support the local businesses that are still open. Apple will be just fine

newyorksole

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Ah to be in the position to buy 1 let alone 4 new iPads in the current climate of uncertainty
Lmao right? I can’t. I am glad I have a 2018 Pro though which maybe I can sell for a good chunk of change, but I don’t want to have to pay any more than $200 to upgrade.

twolf2919

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2014
Your "...four iPads" is a bit disingenuous - to support your "why would you be buying..?" I guess? It's 2 iPads of a given size/price and I can think of many reasons why a family might want to buy more than 2 iPads - e.g. if they have 3 children. Especially at this time, when most schools in China are still closed, parents are turning to iPads to help their kids study online and they, themselves, are turning to iPads for entertainment while they're holed up at home.

I agree with the argument that it might be more of a supply issue: Apple might want to spread out their limited supply to as many consumers as possible.

recoil80

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2014
It makes sense if you have limited supply. I remember something similar during iPhone launch days in the past, at least for people queuing outside stores.

Reactions: PlayUltimate

DelayedGratificationGene

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2020
Your "...four iPads" is a bit disingenuous - to support your "why would you be buying..?" I guess? It's 2 iPads of a given size/price and I can think of many reasons why a family might want to buy more than 2 iPads - e.g. if they have 3 children. Especially at this time, when most schools in China are still closed, parents are turning to iPads to help their kids study online and they, themselves, are turning to iPads for entertainment while they're holed up at home.

I agree with the argument that it might be more of a supply issue: Apple might want to spread out their limited supply to as many consumers as possible.
Agreed that it’s more than a supply issue, school districts, universities, consumers all trying to get their hands on toilet paper and iPads etc for the reasons I stated above....
- - Post merged: - -

That got all screwed up......It’s more of a demand issue then supply. China supply issues gone but schools, colleges, companies and consumers are all desperate for ipads etc for remote learning and remote working

Reactions: PlayUltimate

kazmac

macrumors G3
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Makes sense, given the climate. That said if families and folks need these to work or go to school from home, it would be great if Apple would allow additional purchases for those that need more than 2 per item.

Gasu E.

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
16 kids all need their own iPad maybe? But more seriously I could see someone buying 3 iPads for the kids each, one for yourself and one for the spouse. Then the maths stops adding up unless you have four kids.
Unless you have quintuplets, you don't have to give the same model to each of your four kids. And if you have bought some previously, most younger kids expect hand-me-downs.

twolf2919

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2014
- - Post merged: - -

That got all screwed up......It’s more of a demand issue then supply. China supply issues gone but schools, colleges, companies and consumers are all desperate for ipads etc for remote learning and remote working
It is a supply issue if one believes, as I do, that factories in China, in general, are not yet back to 100% and, in particular, given the Covid-19 situation, Apple's initial order might have been smaller than otherwise it would be. I don't know where you get 'China supply issues gone' from.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.