Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ibivibiv

macrumors regular
May 5, 2015
I have the 2017 12.9 iPad Pro and I love it, just can’t justify upgrading as much as I want to. My strategy these days is to run my Apple devices until they stop getting support.

Yeah I just can't justify their pricing right now. Maybe later but for now I am parked on my current models. They just haven't done enough to make it worth it for now.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
I have the 2017 12.9 iPad Pro and I love it, just can’t justify upgrading as much as I want to. My strategy these days is to run my Apple devices until they stop getting support.

I started applying this same strategy for my family members not too long ago and it has been working out great! As for me, lets say I've curbed my Apple lust...I no longer have the crave to upgrade every year. Instead I personally wait for redesigns and go for non-pro items these days (my iPad Pro is the only exception. Love this design too much!), so I think I strike a good balance between keeping up to date with Apple tech and being practical with my spending because I have come to understand there are many cutting edge features I simply just don't need.

Reactions: Mr. Dee

Neepman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2008
How frikkin' tone deaf is it for apple to even roll out a new product right now? What they shoud be doing is temporarily slashing the price of the entry level memory iPads and macbooks to help people who are now going to need these devices to work and communicate from home.

• Haha
Reactions: Lucas284

Apple2GS

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2016
US of A
Must be limited supply. Apple resellers usually over discounts. If someone wants to buy in bulk, Apple.com wouldn't be the smartest choice.

Dave-Z

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
How frikkin' tone deaf is it for apple to even roll out a new product right now?

Yeah the situation these days is unpleasant, but we don't stop human activity because of it. If companies shouldn't release new products, one could argue MacRumors shouldn't even be covering the news right now because of this situation. Obviously life still goes on. As much as I dislike Apple these days, there's nothing wrong with them releasing new products (and they did so without gathering a 1000+ reporters in a cramped space). They provide an online store for people to get products and support, they're arranging for customers who have taken their existing products in for servicing to still get them back, and they've donated a ton of money to support various causes. What more would you like them to do? I may not like Tim's corporate direction and I may think Apple's products have gotten too expensive for what they are, but I can't sit here and say they're not making the best of a difficult situation. If anything, they are contributing to the solution.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
How frikkin' tone deaf is it for apple to even roll out a new product right now? What they shoud be doing is temporarily slashing the price of the entry level memory iPads and macbooks to help people who are now going to need these devices to work and communicate from home.

The MacBook Air went from $1,099 to $999 ($899 EDU).

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
When I looked this morning you could get every iPad but the maxed out cellular still on the 25th. And even then it’s only a week delayed. They aren’t moving many or they have built up an inventory

Reactions: metalsiren

metalsiren

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2017
When I looked this morning you could get every iPad but the maxed out cellular still on the 25th. And even then it’s only a week delayed. They aren’t moving many or they have built up an inventory

well that and becuase of COVID-19 people might not be thinking of upgrading because of uncertainty in the world.

Reactions: BarrettF77

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
Yup. We still have our 2 2015 ipp 12.9 first gens. Love it. My son is still happy with his ipad air 2 which is almost 5 years old ??‍♀️. We upgraded our 2011 and 2013 desktops to 2018 minis, set for at least 5 years.

ibivibiv

macrumors regular
May 5, 2015
I started applying this same strategy for my family members not too long ago and it has been working out great! As for me, lets say I've curbed my Apple lust...I no longer have the crave to upgrade every year. Instead I personally wait for redesigns and go for non-pro items these days (my iPad Pro is the only exception. Love this design too much!), so I think I strike a good balance between keeping up to date with Apple tech and being practical with my spending because I have come to understand there are many cutting edge features I simply just don't need.

Yes, and the pro versions really aren't offering a lot of the "pro" edges that they once had. Now they are just hyped up guts to the regular product line. Before you got things useful to a pro, now you get commoditized overpriced better guts. No thanks.

Reactions: Icaras

Matthew.H

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2015
Norwich, UK
Probably the former. Given the global situation atm many people are going to be worried about job security (myself included tbh). Spending a large sum of money on what are for most people luxury goods isn't going to be high on the priority list.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I think this is to stop people from buying them out then artificially inflating the price on eBay. It's sad people are taking advantage of the coronavirus situation like this....

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
The MacBook Air went from $1,099 to $999 ($899 EDU).

yeah, the new Air has 256gb of storage and they cut the price. Great machine to buy if you need to work from home for a few weeks and don’t have another computer to spare.
I think they decided to cut the price after this emergency, they figured out people would need new hardware at home and this is a great opportunity to increase market share sacrificing a little bit of margin

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Makes sense, given the climate. That said if families and folks need these to work or go to school from home, it would be great if Apple would allow additional purchases for those that need more than 2 per item.
This would work if people were honest but they're not. If you allow additional purchases for those that need more than 2 per item then every eBay reseller would "need" to buy more than two.

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
Hello? Marketing 101 - Scarcity...

The stock market lost 1/3rd... Unemployment will jump to 20%. Don't let Apple try and convince you that you need to upgrade your iPad...

• Haha
Reactions: russell_314

ColdSugar

Suspended
Aug 8, 2018

The iPads and phones are going to get support for a good while though, so you might be waiting to upgrade for a long time.

PowerMacBook

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2008
no need to upgrade when Apple doesn't give support anymore. My MBP Retina mid 2012 is not supported anymore. Ny Apple. Still can get parts for it though. Recently had to replace a fan, as it was fubar. A local shop (Apple approved reseller thing) ordered them , received them, replaced them. Same with the 4 rubber feet. Worn out/off after almost 8 years of happy duty ;-)
I might not be the pro some of you are, but this machine is still doing all I need, so yes, looking at the new 16" model, loving it etc, but why upgrade?
For sure not because getting support is stopped.
Use it until it really fails on you, and nothing can be done about it.

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
These limits should be in place permanently for families and individual consumers. Unless you buy in behalf of a business or an institution and state it as such in your purchase, why would you be buying more than five macs, four ipads, etc.
A limit makes no sense in any normal situation.

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
Use it until it really fails on you, and nothing can be done about it.
But what if 5-8 year Macbook laptop could be sold for at least $100-$200-$300 and be upgraded to newer one, when the owner plans it. This way you are in control of the situation. You have time to wait, analyze and make your choice.
But if it fails on you, then you have no backup and should run to buy any model which is sold now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.