MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Apple held their annual shareholder meeting today. MercuryNews provides some notes on the meeting. Investors passed a proposal asking the company to allow investors to have an advisory vote on executive compensation.
"It's a great vote," said Scott Adams, a research coordinator at the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees, a member of the AFL-CIO, which sponsored the proposal. Even though Apple is "a great company, shareholders still want a say on pay," he added.
The board can choose to accept or ignore the proposal. In general the mood seems to have been positive, with a few common questions being addressed:

- Jobs and executives, of course, would not comment on future products or plans.
- Jobs confirmed that they were expecting to sell 10 million iPhones in 2008.
- Apple does plan on offering the iPhone in China and India "one day".
- Jobs stated he is "not happy about" the fact that they were unable to meet the 1000 movies on iTunes goal by the end of February. Jobs blamed the delay on movie studios getting the necessary approvals from various rights holders of each film.
- Regarding Steve Jobs' successor, he sees many possible candidates amongst Apple's current executives.
"We've got great talent, and I think the board would have a few really good choices," said Jobs, 53. "We talk about that a lot." Candidates include Cook and Chief Financial Officer Peter Oppenheimer, he said.

Article Link

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
Too bad no dividend or stock buy back, they need to put some of that cash to work

Comment

lazyrighteye

macrumors 68020
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
Seems if Chinese and Indian markets were iPhone-centric, that 10 million mark would be in Apple's rear view mirror. Almost instantly.

Comment

FakeWozniak

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2007
I wonder if they are accepting applications for the future opening. I'll wait :)

Comment

uNext

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2006
No plans to offer dividends or buy back stock.

That sucks ohh well.

Off to buy more AAPL they are at a sale price.

Comment

Much Ado

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2006
UK
No plans to offer dividends or buy back stock.

That sucks ohh well.

Off to buy more AAPL they are at a sale price.

If you're buying more stock at this price then why do you want a buyback? :confused:

Comment

chr1s60

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
California
"Steve Job's Successor"

What is he retiring or something!?!?!

Not right away, but I would imagine that within the next 10 years he will step down. When you are looking for a replacement for such a high power position it takes many years to find the right one and it's never too early to start looking. The day Steve goes will be a sad day, regardless of who replaces him.

Comment

fluidedge

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
Jobs successor has to be Jonathan Ive doesn't it?!

He represents everything that is cool about apple, not some overweight financial executive who may have the knowledge/experience to run Apple, but wouldn't quite be the face we'd like to see giving the keynote at MW would he?

Ive would be my choice.

Comment

bommai

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2003
Melbourne, FL
I would hate to see Jobs go?

I think Phil Schiller or Johnny Ive will be the best!

Actually Jobs mentioned Tim Cook or Peter Oppenheimer. While Schiller and Ive are good they are not good chief executives. Tim Cook has a lot of experience and he ran Apple when Jobs underwent cancer surgery three years ago.

Comment

Pukey

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2008
Gekkostate
[...]

- Regarding Steve Jobs' successor, he sees many possible candidates amongst Apple's current executives.

"We've got great talent, and I think the board would have a few really good choices," said Jobs, 53. "We talk about that a lot." Candidates include Cook and Chief Financial Officer Peter Oppenheimer, he said.

Oh come on, I think the obvious choice doesn't work at Apple now. We all know it's got to be the other Steve.
Steve Ballmer that is.

Comment

iJesus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Reno, Nevada
Nooo!

I thought that Steve was immortal!
I cannot imagine :apple: without him!
:(

I just feel that without him, the soul of Apple is gone....
... no more reality distortion fields, SteveNotes, or the forever trendy black mock turtleneck.
:mad:

Comment

MrT8064

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2006
UK
Yeh Ive would be great, but i'm worried that he doesnt seem all that public, we hardly ever seem him interviewed or on camera.

but still; Ive is VERY cool!

Comment

Retired
May 16, 2006
Jobs successor has to be Jonathan Ive doesn't it?!

He represents everything that is cool about apple, not some overweight financial executive who may have the knowledge/experience to run Apple, but wouldn't quite be the face we'd like to see giving the keynote at MW would he?

Ive would be my choice.
He so far has not been given the opportunity to speak to a crowd about Apple, which kinda goes against the possibility. Then again, Jobs' thoughts often don't seem logical...

Comment

jonharris200

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2006
London, UK
"Steve Job's Successor"

What is he retiring or something!?!?!
Succession planning is quite normal for any large company.

I think the big mistake would be to look for a Steve Jobs clone - he is one of a kind.

Thankfully though Steve has imprinted innovation on the DNA of the company. Even with a very different personality at the top, those core values run deep enough to see Apple through, as and when the time eventually comes.

I don't expect Steve to step down any time soon.

Comment

Play Ultimate

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Let's not overlook the fact that SJ is not really a tech guy. Woz was the brains behind Apple whereas Jobs was the marketer.
Also, Tim Cook did a great job at the GS Forum the other day.

Comment

fluidedge

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
i too think SJ will be around for a bit, even when he goes he might still hold the chairman title or something and he'll probably still be on the board of directors. He'll still be involved with Apple, they'd be silly to just sever ties when he retires.

Comment

Retired
May 16, 2006
Let's not overlook the fact that SJ is not really a tech guy. Woz was the brains behind Apple whereas Jobs was the marketer.
Also, Tim Cook did a great job at the GS Forum the other day.

There is no way SJ has not become greatly knowledgeable about computers (maybe not to code/hardware making level, but still) while working with them for so many years.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.