Apple Shareholders Meeting 2005

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

News.com reports on Apple's annual shareholder meeting yesterday.

Environmental issues took center stage with protests regarding Apple's recycling policies which Jobs defended.

Beyond this there were the usual range of questions on future products and suggestions for Apple to better market the Mac against Windows based computers.

G.Kirby

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2005
Swansea, South Wales
They also had a pop at the tiny bit of lead in the iPod. It is a bit of a back handed compliment as one of the echo warriors was quoted as saying some thing like - "we're going after the iPod because it is the IT device of the moment."

Well it has worked for them as they have got some press, even if their facts are a bit pie in the sky.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Heck is all Apple has to do is agree to take any computer dropped off at a store... then all they have to do is donate the machines to places like.

www.cristina.org

Edit: just because it's an old useless dust collector to you, doesn't mean it's useless to somebody who cannot afford a computer.

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
I love it that Steve called Apple being singled out "Bulls**t" -- it's probably some other industry people who want to cause Apple some bad publicity right before Tiger and other announcements of cool stuff.

G.Kirby

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2005
Swansea, South Wales
Apple can't be held responsible for what a comsumer does with any old macs. The comsumer has a responsibility to despose of their waste in a correct and proper manner. In education now we can not put ANY IT waste in a normal bin. Everything has to be desposed off correctly.

I do think it is cool that Apple is trying to educate its comsumers in this matter. :)

darkwing

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
JGowan said:
I love it that Steve called Apple being singled out "Bulls**t" -- it's probably some other industry people who want to cause Apple some bad publicity right before Tiger and other announcements of cool stuff.
The modern environmental movement is really about anti-capitalism than anti-pollution anyway.

Besides, everyone knows the solution to pollution is dilution. Just burn it all! ;)

Steven

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I hate the way the hippies gang up on one company when in reality, it's the whole industry they're unhappy with. They did it here in Australia with petrol (gas) stations when they singled out Mobil and tried to get people to boycott them. It's a pretty common technique. It's a shame they've picked on Apple and not Dell/HP or someone else. :(

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Stupid, hippy, non-rational, perfect world environmentalists.
I wish I had so much time on my hands.

I certainly hope they don't produce any trash themselves, don't poop or pee, don't drive a car or use anything that comes in packaging.

I mean if you're gonna be an environmentalist, go all the way.

Jeebus, I'm environmentally minded, but these people are over the top.

I'm glad someone bought up the topic of marketing against Windows. Apple needs to spend some money educating people.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
iGary said:
Stupid, hippy, non-rational, perfect world environmentalists.
You do realize how unbelievably ironic that sounds coming from a user from the Mac community right? I mean for the love of god Steve, for all intents and purposes, was a hippy at one point.

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
Recycling is good

We need the environment. I think companies should be pressured to protect it. I guess you kids haven't read about the rape of the environment during the industrial revolution.

I love Apple, by the way. I just love the food I eat, the water I drink, and the air I breathe a little more.

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Texas
SiliconAddict said:
You do realize how unbelievably ironic that sounds coming from a user from the Mac community right? I mean for the love of god Steve, for all intents and purposes, was a hippy at one point.
True enough, but I'm sure the majority of the users in the Mac community today (Steve Jobs not withstanding) were definitely not hippies at one time. ;)

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
SiliconAddict said:
Oh, I don't mind hippies, it's the ones I described that get me. What, I have to be a hippy to use my Mac? :rolleyes:

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
tromboneaholic said:
We need the environment. I think companies should be pressured to protect it. I guess you kids haven't read about the rape of the environment during the industrial revolution.

I love Apple, by the way. I just love the food I eat, the water I drink, and the air I breathe a little more.
Define "pressured".

Apple recycles computers for $30. Isn't your water, food, air, etc. worth $30?

Sunrunner

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2003
tromboneaholic said:

Ugg, get a life already. :rolleyes: Apple has always had a progressive enviromental policy. These people that want their 15 minutes should go take care of the real enviromental problems, like China.

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
Sun Baked said:
Heck is all Apple has to do is agree to take any computer dropped off at a store... then all they have to do is donate the machines to places like.

www.cristina.org

Edit: just because it's an old useless dust collector to you, doesn't mean it's useless to somebody who cannot afford a computer.
A better solution would be to educate the users about such charities.

plasticparadox

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2003
I think it's a good thing that technology companies are being held accountable for their environmental practices.

If some of you were better informed about the growing e-waste problem, you would probably be on the side of the so-called 'tree-huggers'. Just because this stuff isn't in your backyard, doesn't mean it's not there.

BBC NEWS - Photo essay: China's hi-tech toxics said:
Photo journalist Jeroen Bouman gets a rare glimpse inside the illegal Chinese workshops where young teenagers work long hours amid noxious fumes, recycling computers from the US and Europe. The industry has turned four villages in Guiyu, Guangdong province, into toxic waste tips. Drinking water is now brought by lorries from 30 kilometres away.

Large trucks bring containers of hard drives, monitors, servers and other hi-tech cast-offs. Workers break them up, salvage what they can sell and leave the rest on the streets for others to pick through. A crackdown by the Chinese authorities earlier this year closed some of the workshops. I posed as a student to visit the remaining ones. Some owners were very aggressive – others invited me in for tea. These workers are sorting plastic by heating it with a cigarette lighter and sniffing the fumes. They complained of headaches.

A young girl covers her mouth against the stench as she runs past a pile of recently processed circuit boards. The mountains of e-waste are laced with a cocktail of toxic chemicals. According to the Basel Action Network, a pile of 500 computers contains 717kg of lead, 1.36kg of cadmium, 863 grams of chromium and 287 grams of mercury – all poisonous metals. I saw computers with American and European labels in the workshops I visited.

Two boys aged about 13 dip used computer chips into foul-smelling solder - a mixture of lead and tin - to make them look new. I also saw a boy aged about 14, with no respiratory protection, dusting the ink out of an old toner cartridge with an ordinary paintbrush. Toner ink is classed as a possible human carcinogen. Investigators from the Basel Action Network (BAN) in the region have seen villagers burning the coating off cables in open fires – certain plastics are known to release highly toxic dioxins and furans when burnt. Workers with no respiratory protection were also seen swirling computer chips in huge baths of steaming acid to recover tiny amounts of gold.

Girls aged between 17 and 19 sort computer chips. There are about 50 workshops in each village, each employing between 12 and 20 people – although the Chinese press has estimated the number of people employed in the sector to be as high as 100,000. The people I met worked nine hours a day, six days a week and would have had a couple of years of elementary education at most. The BAN investigators said the typical wage was about US$1.50 a day. They photographed small children sorting plastic chippings into different colours.

A cathode ray tube sits by what was previously a drainage ditch. It has now been filled with crushed glass from computer monitors. The glass contains lead oxide, to protect users from potentially harmful X-rays, and is classed as a hazardous waste under the international Basel Convention. Single samples taken by the BAN researchers in the region tested 190 times the World Health Organisation’s safe level for lead, had chromium levels 1338 times the level deemed safe in the US and tin levels 152 times the US threshold. “For money, people have made a mess of this good farming village… Every day villagers inhale this dirty air; their bodies have become weak. Many people have developed respiratory and skin problems. Some people wash vegetables and dishes with the polluted water, and they get stomach sickness,” a 60 year-old resident of the region told them.

The Chinese authorities have clamped down on the e-waste recycling industry in the region, but there were still lots of workshops operating and it is possible that there are other similar areas which have not yet come to light. There is little other employment in Guiyu and villagers are faced with a stark choice - continue working illegally, poisoning their land and damaging their health or try to scratch out another livelihood in their polluted village.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/static/in_depth/world/2002/disposable_planet/waste/chinese_workshop/

Sunrunner

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2003
Windowlicker said:
I don't get this recycling stuff.. Who would even want to trash a mac?!? there's always someone who will want it.
Its one of the hidden values of having a mac, there is a very active market for older macs and Mac as collector items. Compare that with the PC side, where you often cant hardly even give away your old computer.