Apple Shares 'Behind the Scenes' Look at iPhone 11 Pro Photography

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today shared a new "Behind the Scenes" video highlighting how some of its iPhone 11 Pro footage used for promoting its newest devices was filmed.

The video demonstrates the photography rig used to capture Apple's professional footage, and the process that photographer Justin Bettman used to get some of the shots.
Photographer Justin Bettman creates elaborate and detailed scenes in unexpected locations. Check out the process behind the production as Justin creates a bigger picture using the triple-camera system of iPhone 11 Pro.
Photographs created by Bettman have been shared on Apple's Instagram account to highlight the iPhone 11 Pro's new triple-lens camera system with wide, ultra wide, and telephoto lenses.

Article Link: Apple Shares 'Behind the Scenes' Look at iPhone 11 Pro Photography

CreatedByEric

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2016
Anyone else notice how horrible the wide-angle camera is on the iPhone 11 Pro Max? Mine looks like it's taking a picture from a 2010 Android phone.

Reactions: fishmongerer

Martius

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
Prague, CZ
I'm still not sure about this "Pro" name. The camera is almost the same as the iPhone 11 camera...

There should have been something more: completely redefined Camera app (with all the settings in app), possibility to disable OIS (for Osmo Mobile and other gimbals) and other "automatic" features, shooting RAW video?! (I know the files are huge, but you know... PRO), 1st party lens accessories...

I don't think it deserves the Pro name.

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
I'm still not sure about this "Pro" name. The camera is almost the same as the iPhone 11 camera...

There should have been something more: completely redefined Camera app (with all the settings in app), possibility to disable OIS (for Osmo Mobile and other gimbals) and other "automatic" features, shooting RAW video?! (I know the files are huge, but you know... PRO), 1st party lens accessories...

I don't think it deserves the Pro name.
We all know by now that "Pro" is just a marketing term and nothing else.
And it looks like it worked out again perfectly fine for Apple ;)

Apple is King in cool marketing terms with their devices and it's capabilities.

But again, nothing really Pro with these iPhone 11 Pro (Max).

ke-iron

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2014
Got my 11 pro this morning and took my first wide angle shot of the queen’s borough bridge when I got back home. I will not lie, I am a bit disappointed in the wide angle camera quality even out in broad day light. It could be just a tad bit more defined/ sharp and I would’ve been the happiest man alive.

Attachments

Reactions: Rocko99991

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
Got my 11 pro this morning and took my first wide angle shot of the queen’s borough bridge when I got back home. I will not lie, I am a bit disappointed in the wide angle camera quality even out in broad day light. It could be just a tad bit more defined/ sharp and I would’ve been the happiest man alive.
I don't mean to be rude with the comment, but this is not a good photo composition to try and judge a wide angle camera/lens. You need something interesting in the foreground near you or its just going to look like a boring flat photo. I suspect 90% of people complaining about the wide angle lens don't know how to compose an interesting photo with one.

calstanford

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2014
Hong Kong
All real world images I've seen from users on this forum show the standard 12MP for how many years shooter Apple keeps putting in, with tiny updates in software due to the better processor. But that's it.
The wide camera is particularly disappointing. Most shots look 8-10MP at MOST, realistically even less. No where near 12. The tele I'd range at around 10MP. Only the original wide keeps it's standard-since-forever 12 actual real MP quality. For well over $1000 that's just... meh. Sorry but...

No.

Especially as they have nothing else new besides 'one more of the same cameras'. This year's phones are barely an X"S2", let alone a "11". Call them a "Pro" is just a slap in the face for suckers at this point.
Apple Marketing would do itself some good to be a bit more honest.

Reactions: PC_tech

ImAlwaysRight

macrumors 6502a
If you've ever used one of those attachment wide angle lenses, you'll appreciate what you are getting with the ultra wide angle lens on the Apple phone. I've tried 5 different wide angle attachements -- they ALL blur the edges to some degree, some horribly so. So what I'm seeing with the Apple ultra wide angle, it's good for what it is.

Let's face it, you just aren't going to get DSLR quality from such a small lens, especially with such a wide angle.

Reactions: hortod1

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008
My best friend is a commercial shooter for McD, Coke etc. and for fun he sometimes shoots with a Helga film camera. He can make most shots look great not matter the camera.

YMMV
giving joe blow a $100,000 cinema camera is not going to magically make him a cinematographer, just like giving a regular guy a sports car is not going to make him a great driver all of a sudden. the skills lie in the person, the equipment is not going to magically add skills.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
giving joe blow a $100,000 cinema camera is not going to magically make him a cinematographer, just like giving a regular guy a sports car is not going to make him a great driver all of a sudden. the skills lie in the person, the equipment is not going to magically add skills.
A better camera will make the persons job easier.

Reactions: CreatedByEric

I7guy

macrumors Core
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
We all know by now that "Pro" is just a marketing term and nothing else.
And it looks like it worked out again perfectly fine for Apple ;)

Apple is King in cool marketing terms with their devices and it's capabilities.

But again, nothing really Pro with these iPhone 11 Pro (Max).
They don’t have to be “pro”, all they have to do is sell. Right?

mdatwood

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
I don't mean to be rude with the comment, but this is not a good photo composition to try and judge a wide angle camera/lens. You need something interesting in the foreground near you or its just going to look like a boring flat photo. I suspect 90% of people complaining about the wide angle lens don't know how to compose an interesting photo with one.
Yeah, most people do not realize with a wide angle you typically want to get closer to the subject as a starting point.