Apple Shares 'For All Mankind' Featurette on Creating the World for the Apple TV+ Show

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple this afternoon shared a new featurette video that delves into the world creation for Apple TV+ show "For All Mankind."

"For All Mankind" imagines what the world might have been like had the global space race never ended and the space program remained a priority, telling the story through the lives of NASA astronauts, engineers, and their families.

From the lunar surface of the moon to the precise recreation of the original Mission Control, the level of authenticity and attention to detail that brought For All Mankind to life is astounding. Hear from the Executive Producers and crew members regarding the incredible care and craft that went into building the sets, finding the real-life props and designing the wardrobes for this nostalgic, alternate history drama.
Created by Ronald D. Moore, "For All Mankind" is one of the launch shows for Apple TV+. Apple has thus far released five episodes, with a new episode set to come out on Friday.

The show stars Joel Kinnaman, Michael Dorman, Wrenn Schmidt, Shantel VanSanten, Sarah Jones, and Jodi Balfour.

Article Link: Apple Shares 'For All Mankind' Featurette on Creating the World for the Apple TV+ Show

Last edited:
Reactions: 15ngcs1

diamond3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
I've been happy with the show and I think the prop design and attention to detail really does transport you back in that time (even though I didn't exist). I've been pleasantly surprised by it and definitely recommend it.

Yojimbo007

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
My fave out of the Apple+ lineup

followed by TMS

‘See‘ is ok.. but its hard to accept the reality .. its annoying...

Dickinson is unbearable ! (To me)

now i see it

macrumors 601
Jan 2, 2002
If someone were to sign up for Aple TV+ a year from now, could they binge-watch previously aired shows? Watch 4 episodes a day? Cuz currently that's not possible

Reactions: mccaffertee

jonblatho

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2014
Missouri
If someone were to sign up for Aple TV+ a year from now, could they binge-watch previously aired shows? Watch 4 episodes a day? Cuz currently that's not possible
While it’s unlikely that Apple has perpetual distribution rights to the shows currently on TV+, they’ll likely be there for a long time, and certainly more than a year.

I kind of prefer the weekly releases, though.

Reactions: Ar40 and decypher44

decypher44

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2007
Orange County, CA
Im still holding out on ATV+. What do you mean it’s not currently possible? Do they remove previously aired shows? Or, do you mean just because they don’t release an entire season at once?

coolfactor

macrumors 601
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
My top 10 currently running shows, in alphabetical order.
  • Anne with an E
  • Better Call Saul
  • For All Mankind
  • The Good Place
  • The Handmaid's Tale
  • Mandalorian
  • Mr. Robot
  • Star Trek: Discovery
  • Watchmen
  • Westworld
When do you go to work? 🤣
- - Post merged: - -

Im still holding out on ATV+. What do you mean it’s not currently possible? Do they remove previously aired shows? Or, do you mean just because they don’t release an entire season at once?
They've released the first three episodes for some shows, with the expectation that there will be additional episodes added each week. The first three is to get you hooked.

I was very concerned that this show, For All Mankind, was just going to be another pro-US "we are the best in the world" type of show, but I was pleasantly surprised by the plot twist. The set design and acting are phenomenal! The creativity in the plot is what makes this show truly enjoyable.

Reactions: 15ngcs1 and Ar40

breather

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2011
Sweden
It's really good, makes me well up just thinking of "what if..."
How big would the moon base be now, would we have a base on Mars?

I wonder if they will do big time jumps season to season and eventually be ahead of current time.

Reactions: 15ngcs1 and Ar40

centauratlas

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
Love this show!
I agree. It is the best of the bunch (so far) on Apple TV+ - not that the others are bad, just this is good.

The only thing I wish they'd do is add a "bleeped" version where the curse words are beeped or silenced. Not for me, but I think our young kids would enjoy the space aspect, but I know the spouse would prefer them not to be exposed to those words at least for a while yet.

Reactions: Steve686

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
I like it, but it has slowed down some. Was hoping for more action, but I guess that’s everywhere nowadays. I just want to see more space and hopefully later on in the coming decades on the show some daring space rescues and things like that based mostly on how we would actually try to do that. I like the idea of pseudo-sci-fi, so I’m looking forward to more of the “not of our timeline” tech advances.

This show also makes me kinda sad that we abandoned space for so long. It’s a shame. At least we are set to go back in a big way in the coming decade, but just imagine where we would be if the Soviets actually figured that stuff out. Although that would imply a stronger Soviet Union, and who knows if that would have led to WW3 or some kind of Star War.

Reactions: Ar40

Premal212

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2017
London UK
It's really good, makes me well up just thinking of "what if..."
How big would the moon base be now, would we have a base on Mars?

I wonder if they will do big time jumps season to season and eventually be ahead of current time.
I was hoping for some time jumps in this season. It would be incredible if they do, not too far forward like Interstellar, but around the Martian period.

Reactions: breather

PickUrPoison

macrumors 603
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
While it’s unlikely that Apple has perpetual distribution rights to the shows currently on TV+, they’ll likely be there for a long time, and certainly more than a year.

I kind of prefer the weekly releases, though.
I’m not in the industry and I don’t really know how it all works, but I remember reading that buying up the rights is one reason the shows are so expensive. They reportedly even “bought out the residuals” whatever that means lol.

bernuli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011
Man, I really hope Apple raises the price for their streaming service soon. These shows look pretty good and Apple is making it rain all over the place.

I however would rather not be subsidizing TV shows with my hardware purchases. I guess I could just refrain from buying anything brand new....but the new 16" MacBook! And the new MacPro tower! So tempting!

Maybe I could just get into a time share.

Stoke

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2019
An(other) Apple attention-to-detail spot without Johny Ive's voice... Irritating!