Apple Shares 'Guided Tour' of iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 21, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

As it did for the iPhone X last year, Apple today shared a Guided Tour of the iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR on its YouTube channel, walking through some of the biggest features on the trio of devices.

The five-minute video provides an overview of various swiping gestures for navigating iOS 12, Face ID authentication, Portrait Mode with Depth Control, Dual SIM functionality, Memoji, group FaceTime, and more. As always, the Guided Tour is primarily targeted towards new users, but it has helpful tips for all.

The video is especially useful for those who have not used an iPhone X, and are upgrading directly to the iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, or iPhone XR, as the lack of a home button can take a bit of getting used to.

Apple has used Guided Tours to help users adjust to new devices for years, including the original iPhone in 2007, the original iPad in 2010, and the original Apple Watch in 2015. Apple also has and will be uploading how-to videos about the iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR to its Apple Support channel on YouTube.

Article Link: Apple Shares 'Guided Tour' of iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR

2. webperfex macrumors member

webperfex

3. Hieveryone macrumors 68040

4. JackieTreehorn macrumors 6502

JackieTreehorn

Is (s)he the mom/dad of that kid in their ‘What’s a computer?’ iPad Pro commercial?

I wouldn’t be surprised.

5. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

It's like the X never existed. Everything shown on that video was and still is possible to do on the X ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

6. mashinhead macrumors 68030

Anyone know what I swipe to cure me of the complete boredom that video cause?

7. ThunderSkunk, Sep 21, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2018

ThunderSkunk macrumors 68030

ThunderSkunk

Good video. Though I recall a decade ago how proud Apple was to have built a computer whose functionality was so natural and self-evident that it didn't require an instructional manual to operate it. In the years since it's become less and less intuitive, and even confusing to discern when stumbling through it, to the point they really do need to make instructional videos.

On an unrelated note, is the Justin Bieber hairstyle still going strong in California?

8. DotComCTO macrumors 6502

I think Siri's Mandarin translation at the end of the video isn't quite right. It translates "Thanks for watching" to:

gāi xǐhuān kàn (该喜欢看)= I like to watch.

Instead of:

xièxiè nǐ de shōukàn (谢谢你的收看) = Thank you for watching.

Also, Siri's accent is weird. I had to listen to it a couple of times because it said it as, "gāixǐ huānkàn". It just sounds wrong to me.

Source: I'm not a native Chinese speaker, but I have studied the language at the college level for 4+ years (and my wife and her family are Chinese). :)

9. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

Am I the only one who saw the video thumbnail and thought "Is that supposed to be a young female Steve Jobs?"

10. TwoBytes macrumors 68030

TwoBytes

The lady who setup FaceTime looked like she didn’t want to be there.

11. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

I received my iPhone Xs today, coming from a 6S, there is no learning curve, it is all natural and well thought out, even after just a few brief hours I do not miss TouchID, and the swiping/multitouch is very intuitive.

As for the comments above about the woman in the video, why, we are all special, all inclusive, that's all we need.
    If the above will continue I will not hesitate to take action....

12. deckard666 macrumors 6502

deckard666

Yeah funny how no manufacturer ever has said everything our new product does can be done on our old one.....

13. Flight Plan macrumors 6502

Flight Plan

I like her! The first part of the video kind of made me a little nauseous however, because the camera motion seemed to have too much up/down "jiggle" going on there. But it calmed down from when she got her cookie so luckily I didn't lose mine. :)

"Bedhead and grumpface", great comedic timing there, and that was hilariously funny to me. :D

I'm bald so I never get bedhead. But I more than make up for it with "porcupine grumpface", especially when I haven't shaved head nor beard in a few days, hahaha!

Anyway, I did order my XS Max in gold and my Watch 4 in black through Verizon. Should come in mid-October.

14. skitidetdu macrumors 6502

skitidetdu

Hm the Xr looked really nice in this video. I think I'm holding on to my money until October

15. MoreRumors?, Sep 21, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2018

MoreRumors? macrumors regular

MoreRumors?

I think I will figure how to use this on my own.

16. democracyrules macrumors 6502a

Excellent customer service. Kudos to Apple!!

17. mac1984user macrumors 6502a

mac1984user

I was going to have a go at Apple for making an instructional video for its ‘intuitive’ devices. Then I thought, ‘What’s the harm in it?’. Everyone comes at these things slightly differently. To some, a keyboard and mouse wasn’t intuitive. Others find tech to be impenetrable full stop. What does it matter if an instructional video exists?

The camera bobbing at the start did my head in a bit, but the actor’s demeanour was pleasant and they presented the material clearly without coming across too bubbly and falsely energetic. It works, and now I’m fully prepared to transition to an iPhone XR. :p

18. PickUrPoison macrumors 68020

The video seems fine, but who would have thought so many could be triggered by someone else’s haircut!

19. wdwpsu macrumors newbie

Well technically, you couldn't do Memojis or Group Facetime at launch with the X. Although, you can't do Group Facetime with the XS yet, either!
    The video clearly is intended for people who are reluctant to upgrade their legacy (touchId) iphones.

20. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

You couldn't do Memojis because there was no software available for it yet, you can now. I think they should have stuck with the Depth effect thing only because they already have the exact same video on how to use the X.

21. purged macrumors newbie

You might want to study a little more then. I'm not a native speaker either, and it was pretty clear to me. "感謝觀看"

22. CREA macrumors newbie

CREA

23. EugW macrumors 601

EugW

24. LessO2 macrumors regular

Not everybody getting the Xs Max have used X before.

25. PickUrPoison, Sep 21, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2018

PickUrPoison macrumors 68020

The compliance certifications are done by third parties and are typically filed shortly before shipping iirc. There’s zero chance it won’t be authorized, the XR is already known (by Apple) to be compliant with the appropriate regulations; all of the necessary testing was done months ago. The proper forms just need to be submitted to the FCC. :)