Apple Shares Heartfelt 'Real Stories' From Apple Watch Wearers in Latest Videos

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 6, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today shared a pair of heartfelt videos titled Real Stories and Real Stories: Michael on its YouTube channel.

[​IMG]

The first video focuses on the Apple Watch's potential to save lives, including a man who crashed while kitesurfing and used his Apple Watch to call his son, a 13-year-old boy whose Apple Watch alerted him to an elevated heart rate, a mother in a car crash who called 911 from her Apple Watch, and a man with blood clots.

"People reach out to Apple all the time to share how Apple Watch has become an indispensable part of their lives," said Apple in the Real Stories video description. "Here are some of their stories."

The second video highlights the story of Michael Jackson, from Duluth, Minnesota, who was born with spastic quadriplegia cerebral palsy. One night, he was woken up by an Apple Watch notification about an elevated heart rate, rushed to the emergency room, and found to have sepsis, a potentially fatal condition.

"Many people reach out to Apple to share how receiving heart rate notifications on Apple Watch has helped them recognize and react to serious conditions," the second video description reads. "Here is Michael's story."

The videos coincide with today's release of watchOS 5.1.2, which enables the ECG app on the Apple Watch Series 4 in the United States.

Article Link: Apple Shares Heartfelt 'Real Stories' From Apple Watch Wearers in Latest Videos

2. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

It's too bad these features weren't around a couple years ago. My uncle fell to the ground and died of a massive heart attack nearly two years ago. He was an early adopter of Apple Watch and was wearing it when he died. If it was able to detect irregular heart rhythms and sudden falls back then, he may still be alive today. He was in really good shape and 53 years old. He had just returned from the gym, took a break inside because he was feeling weird, and then after a while got up and decided to go outside and wash his truck. He was like father to me because my actual father is garbage. I'm glad that Apple has developed this technology to help other people not lose loved ones like I did. I just wish it had been developed sooner.

3. macfacts macrumors 68030

macfacts

4. hitteam macrumors member

hitteam

Great real life story, really touching my heart. Hopefully one day my Apple Watch will be useful to save my life too.

5. philosopherdog macrumors 6502a

philosopherdog

We are sitting here crying over an Apple Watch ad! I think I need the new one now!

6. groadyho macrumors 6502

groadyho

It depends, if I'm left half assed, I'll take the peace and tranquility of death any day.

7. wigby macrumors 68000

Sorry your father was garbage but it sounds like you got to know your uncle well and are a better person for it. I suppose technology will always include this bittersweet loss / potential relationship, especially health related advances.

8. tharitm macrumors member

tharitm

I wonder if this is a hint that ECG is coming soon.

9. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

It was released in today’s update for the US.

10. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Damn, so much dust in the room right now... or something flew into my eye...

11. Kermetajb macrumors member

Kermetajb

I am a nurse practitioner and I can tell you that this particular feature of the new Apple Watch would actually prevent what you are describing. Atrial fibrillation most commonly causes blood clots to form in the heart where they often are pumped up to the brain. This is called a stroke and generally leaves people debilitated, not dead. So, detecting this problem quickly would actually prevent what you fear would happen in the event that someone sought medical care after receiving an alert.

Keep in mind that we have reached a point in medicine where we can generally keep people alive when serious medical conditions occur. People don’t “drop dead” nearly as much as they used to. Again, they usually are just debilitated by a condition that was not treated quickly. So prevention and early detection are key.

12. Balkon macrumors newbie

Balkon

The crazy thing is (and perhaps Apple did that on purpose) that the "King of Pop" could still be alive if an Apple Watch Series 4 with watchOS 5.1.2 would have been available in 2009.

13. groadyho macrumors 6502

groadyho

Read this. Best explanation yet. I'm register LPN, I'm not so out of touch with reality and the way it works.

14. barkomatic macrumors 68040

It sounds like a great feature except that I hate wearing watches. Also, I feel like I've already got so many screens in my life shouting notifications at me and taking my attention.

15. vicviper789 macrumors regular

16. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

Is it okay that I hope your Apple watch will never be useful in saving your life.

17. seatton macrumors 6502a

seatton

I hope soon Apple will feature my story of how I try to sell my kidney on eBay so I can afford the new 1 TB iPad Pro. That thing is so beautiful, but it costs way too much :(

18. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

I’m not really a mean person lol but these stories and these ads I find extremely annoying

19. Sasparilla, Dec 6, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018

Sasparilla macrumors 6502a

After watching these video's its really powerful.

The future of the watch looks really, really good anyways, but the possible health alert capability it has (and access if you're disabled) is amazing.

20. Hedwigg macrumors regular

Hedwigg

Care to elaborate?

21. JCPVAZ macrumors newbie

Someone has to snark here and it might as well be me. I have no gripe with Apple or its tech or inclusion of this app. None. What I do have a problem with is that in the past few years, EVERYONE and I mean EVERYONE has Afib now. Okay, what changed? The answer: Nifty new blood-thinning drugs that cost $1k/month. That's what changed and made this the "in" thing to diagnose. I have a relative who nearly died of the "cure" when the damn pills caused internal bleeding. He's been off that junk for three years and has his life back and doesn't bleed all over the place or get 6 square inch bruises from daily life. My point here is to take this app with a grain of salt and don't panic or feel unnecessarily comforted by the results. Take care of yourself, get any help you need but be aware that while there is some truth in all of this, it's about selling pills. Now let the hate and grenade-throwing begin!

22. bbednarz macrumors 6502a

bbednarz

Why? I would say these are some of the best ads out there. Stories where they helped save or potentially save a life. Seems like a great way to help sell a product.

23. corebeliefs macrumors regular

corebeliefs

No person can guarantee that death is how you describe. Fight to live.

24. barmann macrumors 6502a

I couldn't agree more .

For decades we have been told it was nurses, doctors, paramedics who saved lifes .
    Thanks to Apple, we now know those people are pretenders, and can easily be replaced by even a lowly device and a few amateur apps .
    Plus advertising ; it's saving lifes as we speak .