Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following the announcement of the M2 Pro and M2 Max chips, updated 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pros, and a new Mac mini, Apple today shared a mini keynote-styled video on YouTube detailing the latest Macs and the new chips.

apple-keynote-new-macs.jpeg

The video, 18 minutes long, features Apple's senior vice president of hardware engineering John Ternus and other Apple executives in Apple Park offering a presentation on the latest Macs. The video is similar to the digital online events Apple has held in the past but coincides with announcements of new Macs via press releases on the company's website.

Article Link: Apple Shares Keynote-Styled Video for New Mac Announcements

rpmurray

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2017
Back End of Beyond
I’m starting to think I just need to give up on the iMac concept and go for the new Mac mini with a monitor.
I'm thinking if Apple doesn't want to build a larger iMac, they could just redesign the Apple Studio Display and the Mac Mini so you could clip the Mini to the back of the Display. And then maybe do something to make the ports more accessible from the front of the Display.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
Same! I keep thinking each announcement will finally bring a decent iMac but it never happens.

I’m starting to think I just need to give up on the iMac concept and go for the new Mac mini with a monitor.
Still waiting on the larger iMac.
I really doubt they'll bring back the larger iMac if I'm honest, the Mac Studio is the "new" way to experience a 27" Apple desktop.

I have a 27" iMac now and it's running fine, but I can't see myself replacing it with another all-in-one again. I can't re-use the display in it, so I'm better investing in one or two great displays, then updating the machine further down the line. Will be slightly cheaper in the long run. (This is just my opinion, not saying it's what everyone else wants or should want.)

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
I'm thinking if Apple doesn't want to build a larger iMac, they could just redesign the Apple Studio Display and the Mac Mini so you could clip the Mini to the back of the Display. And then maybe do something to make the ports more accessible from the front of the Display.
Double-sided tape and make sure the IO is facing out to the edge of the display. 😂

You can get L-shaped power cables too that would limit its protrusion.

Reactions: 23cam32

josselinco

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2016
Nice, France

The Studio actually already has Apple Silicon inside. There's plenty of room.

ProfessionalFan

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2016
Not seeing Tim Cook at all was surprising. I know this isn't a full-on keynote but still the presentation was very similar.

This was well done, I enjoyed the work from John and the "other" Tim!

Reactions: lyngo and SamRyouji

neliason

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2015
Same! I keep thinking each announcement will finally bring a decent iMac but it never happens.

I think I am going to switch from 27” iMac to a Mini and a display. I don’t mind that because I can also use the display with my laptop.

I do like the all in one desktop concept. It keeps the desk clean and uncluttered. But it is also nice to be able to update the display and computer separately.

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
Still waiting on the larger iMac.

Discussed often in here...

But personally im on the side of the fence that doesnt believe one is coming. not a 'domestic consumer' facing one anyway.

I mean, it's nearly 2 years since the M1 iMac was released.... surely if they had intended to offer the same machine in a different size it would have been done long before now.

To me, the 24 is a great all in one machine size. 27 is overkill and a missing 3 inches is enough to put people off? As a long time buyer of the 27" models believe me you adjust very quickly to the perfectly adequately size of 24".

It's clear to me that the 'large screen' requirements have long been satisfied with the studio display and a mac mini. If you want bigger displays then you are back to separates and thats not a bad thing really.

In my opinion, you'll next see an M2 24" iMac - possibly even if you are lucky an M2Pro upgradeable version BUT still the 24" screen.
IF we get a 'larger' iMac in the future, it's almost bound to be packaged as a 'pro' machine with a price tag to match.

ryanmp

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2016
I really doubt they'll bring back the larger iMac if I'm honest, the Mac Studio is the "new" way to experience a 27" Apple desktop.

I have a 27" iMac now and it's running fine, but I can't see myself replacing it with another all-in-one again. I can't re-use the display in it, so I'm better investing in one or two great displays, then updating the machine further down the line. Will be slightly cheaper in the long run. (This is just my opinion, not saying it's what everyone else wants or should want.)
Yea I still have a late 2014 27inch iMac and it runs great but cannot be updated, and as a result, starting to miss out on new features.

As you say it definitely comes down to personal preferences. I have always been a huge fan of the clean, minimalist design on the all in one iMac but the 24inch version is just too small.

But think might just go with new Mac mini… any suggestions on a big monitor that would pair well with it? Not sure I want to pay the $s for an Apple display.

ryanmp

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2016
Discussed often in here...

But personally im on the side of the fence that doesnt believe one is coming. not a 'domestic consumer' facing one anyway.

I mean, it's nearly 2 years since the M1 iMac was released.... surely if they had intended to offer the same machine in a different size it would have been done long before now.

To me, the 24 is a great all in one machine size. 27 is overkill and a missing 3 inches is enough to put people off? As a long time buyer of the 27" models believe me you adjust very quickly to the perfectly adequately size of 24".

It's clear to me that the 'large screen' requirements have long been satisfied with the studio display and a mac mini. If you want bigger displays then you are back to separates and thats not a bad thing really.

In my opinion, you'll next see an M2 24" iMac - possibly even if you are lucky an M2Pro upgradeable version BUT still the 24" screen.
IF we get a 'larger' iMac in the future, it's almost bound to be packaged as a 'pro' machine with a price tag to match.
24inch is too small. It is a display size of the last decade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.