Apple Shares List of AirPlay 2-Enabled Smart TVs From Samsung, LG, Sony, and Vizio

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A few days ago, Apple announced that AirPlay 2-enabled smart TVs are coming soon from leading manufacturers, and we've since seen a series of announcements from Samsung, LG, Sony, and Vizio at CES 2019.

Apple has now shared a list of AirPlay 2-enabled TVs announced to date:
LG OLED (2019)
LG NanoCell SM9X series (2019)
LG NanoCell SM8X series (2019)
LG UHD UM7X series (2019)
Samsung QLED Series (2019 and 2018)
Samsung 8 Series (2019 and 2018)
Samsung 7 Series (2019 and 2018)
Samsung 6 Series (2019 and 2018)
Samsung 5 Series (2019 and 2018)
Samsung 4 Series (2019 and 2018)
Sony Z9G Series (2019)
Sony A9G Series (2019)
Sony X950G Series (2019)
Sony X850G Series (2019 85", 75", 65" and 55" models)
Vizio P-Series Quantum (2019 and 2018)
Vizio P-Series (2019, 2018 and 2017)
Vizio M-Series (2019, 2018 and 2017)
Vizio E-Series (2019, 2018 and 2017)
Vizio D-series (2019, 2018 and 2017)We've yet to see any AirPlay 2 announcements from smaller brands such as TCL, Hisense, Panasonic, or Toshiba.

AirPlay 2 support will allow users to stream video, audio, photos, and more directly from an iPhone, iPad, or Mac to supported smart TVs. HomeKit support is also coming to many of these TVs, enabling users to control volume, playback, and more using Siri or the Home app on an iPhone, iPad, or Mac.

Samsung announced that its latest smart TVs are also getting an exclusive iTunes TV and movie app for accessing the storefront.

Apple is widely expected to launch a Netflix-esque streaming video service later this year, and AirPlay 2 support on leading smart TVs would make it easier for users to stream Apple's original content on the big screen without an Apple TV. Rumors suggest Apple could introduce the service within the first half of 2019.

Article Link: Apple Shares List of AirPlay 2-Enabled Smart TVs From Samsung, LG, Sony, and Vizio

KPandian1

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2013
I guess the architecture of the Vizio smart TVs is different - their 2017 models on are compatible already. Wonder what the difference is?

Cryates

macrumors 68020
Nov 19, 2013
Chattanooga, TN
Why? Apple TV is still the best way to experience and consume your content on the biggest screen in your home.
I don't disagree, because I own an Apple TV 4K, but AirPlay access directly to the TV would still be beneficial. Most average consumers also don't want to shell out an additional $150-200 for the Apple TV if the option was available on the TV itself.

nicho

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2008
I guess the architecture of the Vizio smart TVs is different - their 2017 models on are compatible already. Wonder what the difference is?
You're not confusing Airplay-enabled with Airplay 2-enabled are you? I have a Xiaomi TV I can airplay video to directly, that's been around for years.

dumastudetto

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2013
I don't disagree, because I own an Apple TV 4K, but AirPlay access directly to the TV would still be beneficial. Most average consumers also don't want to shell out an additional $150-200 for the Apple TV if the option was available on the TV itself.
Yes this is why they are partnering with TV markets to offer an integrated solution for those who won't buy the box. It's never going to be anywhere near as nice as having an Apple TV connected, but this move will eventually allow pretty much everyone to stream their Apple content on the big screen.

I almost never use AirPlay to stream to my television. So it doesn't bother me that my TV won't have this. I do everything through Apple TV.

m11rphy

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2009
This is probably at least as much a niche use case as AirPlay itself to stream video.
If HomeKit is such a niche why are apple going in so hard of marketing homekit at CES and why does Macrumours have a dedicated HomeKit section. Tvs getting inbuilt homekit support is huge for the platform and for SIRI

Cryates

macrumors 68020
Nov 19, 2013
Chattanooga, TN
Yes this is why they are partnering with TV markets to offer an integrated solution for those who won't buy the box. It's never going to be anywhere near as nice as having an Apple TV connected, but this move will eventually allow pretty much everyone to stream their Apple content on the big screen.

I almost never use AirPlay to stream to my television. So it doesn't bother me that my TV won't have this. I do everything through Apple TV.
You are not the all-encompassing use case though. You have to think about the average consumer. The ones who don't want to buy the extra accessory, in this case, the Apple TV. Also in this scenario, "eventually allow pretty much everyone" is a five-to-ten year strategy. Folks aren't upgrading their TV sets once a year, or even once every five years. Myself? I see zero need to upgrade my TV within the next ten years unless it just ceases to work one day, and I have a 2017 Sony 4K. In the end, I have an Apple TV so this won't affect me at all really, but it will have an impact on a lot of folks, and it's a shame that this can't have broader support from the OEM's.

Ramchi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2007
India
Great blow for Apple TV which anyways not doing much....it completely makes sense unless Apple itself start making TVs!

KPandian1

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2013
You're not confusing Airplay-enabled with Airplay 2-enabled are you? I have a Xiaomi TV I can airplay video to directly, that's been around for years.
Not sure if I am mixing up the two.

I saw this list from Vizio yesterday on their website and commented on it. It is on their Beta enrollment page.

Wonder if this will be ploy to "retire" the existing 2017, 2018 models by the other makers.

shareef777

Suspended
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago, IL
Shedding a collective tear for all those folks (myself included) that purchased a non-supported TV within the last few years.
Got one a couple months ago :-( I don't think it really matters though considering I've got an AppleTV connected. Anyone have a suggestion for a 3rd party remote that can control the AppleTV well? I can't stand the Siri Remote (especially considering the lack of mute button).

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
No one would buy an AppleTV just to use airplay either. I mean honestly, how often does this situation of needing to toss a video to the TV really come up?

dumastudetto

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2013
If HomeKit is such a niche why are apple going in so hard of marketing homekit at CES and why does Macrumours have a dedicated HomeKit section. Tvs getting inbuilt homekit support is huge for the platform and for SIRI
It possibly will be a big deal but it's not yet. Going hard on marketing means nothing. Many of these companies bet heavily on 3D televisions too with heavy marketing and we all know how that ended up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.