Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today shared a tutorial video designed to walk users through using the free Keynote app to create an animated mantra collage on the iPad. Apple collaborated with artist Quentin Jones on the six minute video, which is part of a "Creative Projects" series.

The tutorial covers gathering inspiration and photos, writing a mantra, using Split View, cutting out photos with the shapes tool, using Instant Alpha to remove negative space, adding words and embellishments with Apple Pencil, creating a dynamic GIF, and more.

To follow along with the tutorial, users will need an iPad, the Keynote app, and an Apple Pencil, though the Apple Pencil is optional.

Article Link: Apple Shares 'Mantra Collage' iPad Tutorial With Artist Quentin Jones

ponzicoinbro

Suspended
Aug 5, 2021
As is "gift"? I always wondered why it was spelt with a G and not a J. 🤔🤣

In Romance language derived words letter G followed by a vowel is pronounced as a J.

In Germanic derived words it becomes a hard G.

The founder of GIF said it should be said with a soft G but I say gif with hard g or soft g interchangeably because nobody gives af.

Do people say NAYTO or NATO? I also say both interchangably because as an internationally renowned super spy I have to change my accent every 11 minutes.

James Bond and Jason Bourne still didn’t learn this trick.

BobSc

Suspended
Mar 29, 2020
In Romance language derived words letter G followed by a vowel is pronounced as a J.

The founder of GIF said it should be said with a soft G but I say gif with hard g or soft g interchangeably because nobody gives af.

Do people say NAYTO or NATO? I also say both interchangably because as an internationally renowned super spy I have to change my accent every 11 minutes.

James Bond and Jason Bourne still didn’t learn this trick.
This is quite ill.

Reactions: ponzicoinbro

Vjosullivan

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2013

The origin of a word is an influence on it pronunciation but not the final determiner. The accepted pronunciation of a word is nothing more than its (most generally) accepted pronunciation.

In any case GIF is not a word derived from a foreign word but an acronym where the G is derived from an English word that has a hard G.

In 2013 Steve Wilhite got a Lifetime Achievement award for both simultaneously inventing the word and getting its pronunciation wrong. 😉

Last edited:

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
I found this really nifty. I didn't know you could do so many things with Keynote on iPad. Someday, when I have all the time in the world, I'll need to play with it to see what I can create.

Reactions: sos47

A.wang28

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2017
Australia
I aspire to have Photos that's filled with stunning shots like those in this video, and any other Apple keynote demo. Mine is filled with screenshots, receipts, and random notes...
If you have photo collection like the video, powers to you!

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
As is "gift"? I always wondered why it was spelt with a G and not a J. 🤔🤣
Because GIF stands for “Graphics Interchange Format”. The inventor of the format pronounces it “jif”. The people who pronounce it with a hard G are simply wrong. It’s not a matter of preference.

It’s like now people who hear “Lih-nucks” and are quick to correct, “no, see, it’s lie-nucks because his name is lie-nus“. And you’d have to point out, he’s Finnish, and he pronounces his name as “lih-nus”. There’s audio recordings floating around of him saying “this is Linus Torvalds and I pronounce Linux as lih-nucks”, in both English and Finnish.

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
Because GIF stands for “Graphics Interchange Format”. The inventor of the format pronounces it “jif”. The people who pronounce it with a hard G are simply wrong. It’s not a matter of preference.

It’s like now people who hear “Lih-nucks” and are quick to correct, “no, see, it’s lie-nucks because his name is lie-nus“. And you’d have to point out, he’s Finnish, and he pronounces his name as “lih-nus”. There’s audio recordings floating around of him saying “this is Linus Torvalds and I pronounce Linux as lih-nucks”, in both English and Finnish.
Based on your interpretation, Aluminium should never be pronounced Aluminum. But there you go. Words and pronunciations change.

How did we her when the Story was about Keynote? Shouldn’t people be complaining about how bad the alpha mask cut the hair out?

Reactions: thatguywill

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
In American English, it’s spelled Aluminum and is pronounced exactly as spelled.
Actually both are correct in the US, even though the US spelled it wrong from the original… (which was your point of accuracy) but do you say Magnesum, or Strontum? Point being… who cares if it’s Gif or Jiff?

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
Huh. Been a few years since I used Keynote (greatly preferred it over PowerPoint). Had no idea it was capable of such creative expression. Just shared this with my 8 yo who uses her iPad predominantly for creation with Pencil.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.