Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released a series of three Apple Music ads focused on how the service helps users discover artists. The first ad is a 60-second spot highlighting a number of artists and sharing Apple's motivation for creating Apple Music, ending with the tagline "All the artists you love and are about to love. All in one place."

Music has never had a bigger place in our lives. To have access nearly all the music in world at our fingertips is remarkable. And yet, there needs to be a place where artists and fans can discover one another. Where the entire experience, from playlists to radio to new releases, is powered by people who live and breathe music. A place that brings you the artists you love, as well as the artists you're about to love. That kind of place would be pretty great. And that's what we set out to do with Apple Music.
Two other ads are artist-focused 30-second spots, with one featuring James Bay and the second featuring Kygo.

As with the longer general "Discovery" spot, the artist ads are shot in black and white and end with the new tagline, but the artist ads include no spoken content, focusing only on the artists' work and then briefly overlaying a representation of their Apple Music pages with the Connect feature highlighted.

The new ads come two weeks after Apple began an Apple Music ad campaign in a number of public spaces around the world, including billboards, signage at bus shelters and subway stations, and more.

Article Link: Apple Shares New Apple Music Ads: 'All the Artists You Love and Are About to Love. All in One Place.'

Reactions: CountBoni

Menopause

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011
Apple Music is a BLOODY NIGHTMARE. The content might be very fulfilling but usability-wise it's is an absolute ludicrous joke. iTunes UI makes you wanna hang yourself. I wasn't able to get a single playlist downloaded for offline listening because "Looks like this is no longer available". No number of resetting, logging out and in, restarting changes anything. I resubscribed to Spotify Premium within 10 or so days.

BruceEBonus

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2007
Derbyshire, England
If your idea of "music" is self ingratiating individuals strumming guitars and wailing folk rock dirges .... You'll love this. And it's all in monochromatic relief too which makes it even "all the more classy, innit?" But if not there's always YouTube to find out what happened before the big decline in rock groups after the Nineties. Thanks to the rise of media mogul friendly boy bands and 'singer songriterzzzzz" Cheers!

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
Their ethos is overwrought. Good marketing is about what a product really is--which admittedly would make it hard to market Apple Music/iTunes/iTunes Store because really what is all that stuff?

Apple Music is supposedly curated. All I remember doing is telling it a few things I liked and disliked, and yet so far its recommendations to me seem to be based entirely on previous iTunes purchases I've made.

I don't know how Spotify makes its Weekly Discovery recommendations, but however it does it, they are spot on. Every week I find new stuff that I really like.

Back in the 90s and early 00s we shared mix CDs. Now we share Spotify lists. I can make a list for a party and link it to a Facebook group event so people can go back and see what I played during the party. Obama just shared a Spotify playlist. There's just a whole culture that Apple missed the boat on.

Yes, I bought a Britney Spears album in 2004 from iTunes. I'm not ashamed of that. But the me in 2015 isn't interested in Britney Spears' "Deep Cuts" or "Love Songs from Britney Spears you may not have heard." Plus she somehow automatically showed up on my Connect page in iTunes, which seems to be like a very, very limited version of Twitter that is only about promotion. I also get updates from U2 and Elton John. Why? I have no idea.

I should point out everything I've tried with Apple Music has been through iTunes. I don't listen to music as much on the go.

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
Those were literally the three most dark and depressing (energy level I got) Apple ads. Nothing says "Use our music service!" like black and white ads of profiles of two unknown artists.

I use the service and love it too, btw.

But think of where these ads will appear… on TV in between ads that - at least in the U.S.A. - will be (for the most part) crass or brash.
These ads are the antithesis of current trends for loud, in your face, unsubtle advertising. As a result, they'll likely cut through the noise and get people's attention.

The light, fun, visually vibrant ads - perhaps in the same vein as the old iPod campaigns - can come later.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
This is a smart campaign. They can build on this with all types of music and artists. The tagline works because I think the "for you" feature is Apple Music's greatest strength.

The UI needs some work though. I've gotten used to it, but as others have pointed out, Apple needs to address the bugs and simplify some things - but it's also a lot more capable than the old app and Spotify. They just need to find a good balance.

mprofit

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2009
Atlanta
Apple is soon going to destroy Spotify by Apple music, destroy Flipboard by News app. I don't know what else they are up to.....

I'm with you on the News app - I think it looks awesome. But maybe you could tell me what it is you think Apple Music will do to destroy Spotify. For the most part, to me, both services are the same: tons and tons of music, a social aspect, custom radio stations, offline listening. Apple Music has curated playlists (Spotify doesn't), which sound cool but whose reviews are spotty so far; that's the big difference I see (besides Dr. Dre) between the two. But Spotify is free, and the ads that play aren't annoying enough to entice me to pay anything. So I ask, why pay?

Right now, I'm just not sure Apple has introduced a service that differentiates itself enough from its competitors (e.g., by offering something compelling and unique and one-of-a-kind, like with the iPhone) to make people like me give it money, when Spotify is the same and free.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I wonder which angle Apple is coming from here.. Maybe their impression is "if u listen to Apple music only, them its easy street"

Do they really listen to their users ? not a chance... When asked is when will Apple sort this messy library out by matching by songs AND albums.. their response ? "We have no plans."

ok,, i'm switching away. I like the Apple music ads, but its by no means that simple if u have 2,000 songs in iTunes locally stored which you want to stream with AM... Chances are half of them will be on the store and replaced by different versions u are not wanting.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
MacWhiners

Give it and the recommendation engine a chance. The competition from Apple here is great. I expect great things from it going forward and I think it's off to a great start. It's an ambitious play by Apple and they are bound to get some things wrong and right, and yes the UI needs work, but rest assured they are listening and are not standing still. In the words of Steve: if mistakes are being made that's a good thing, it means some decisions are being made. I see more high profile artist liking AM than Spotify because Apple's heart is in the right place. Apple profits from device sales, and so can afford to respect artists. The same cannot be said about the other guys. I give Spotify max 7 more years in business before Google and Apple own this.

Last edited:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Sorry, Apple. Not until you make it a separate app. I was incredibly suspicious of combining my own music with this service even before Jim Dalrymple's troubles. That story certainly didn't help matters.

There's not a single good reason for the two to be merged.
My guess is the record companies are dictating it and Eddy Cue doesn't have the power to tell them to piss off.

MrRez

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2012
Oh what a shock! What I read from the comments are whinging whinging whinging... :D

I love Apple Music and have no trouble using iTunes. I guess I am just one of those who are actually pretty smart, you know. Just saying :D

Software should just be about ease of use and not about being a genius to use it. iTunes on the other hand has always been about how quickly you can go Gray or lose all your hair in the usability stakes but that hasn't stopped the world from using it, and raving about it. So Apple Music can be a big steaming pile of poo to use, but guess what.....

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Software should just be about ease of use and not about being a genius to use it. iTunes on the other hand has always been about how quickly you can go Gray or lose all your hair in the usability stakes but that hasn't stopped the world from using it, and raving about it. So Apple Music can be a big steaming pile of poo to use, but guess what.....

While I agree the UI could be laid out better, if you think you need to be genius to use Music then you shouldn't be using computers. Just saying'.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.