Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today added a new video to its YouTube channel, highlighting some of the best apps, songs, movies, TV shows, books, and podcasts released during 2016.

The video focuses on all of Apple's editorial picks for top content, which were first announced in early December, along with some new additions. Content depicted in short clips is organized into categories like "We Celebrate," "What Mattered Most," and "The Most Fun," with a full list available below.

Music:
Drake - Hotline, The Chainsmokers - Don't Let Me Down, David Bowie - Blackstar, Shawn Mendes - Treat You Better, Maren Morris - My Church

Beats 1: Chance The Rapper - No Problem, Lady Gaga - A-Yo, J Balvin - Safari, Christine And The Queens - Tilted

Movies: La La Land, Moonlight, Deadpool, Sausage Party, American Honey, Kubo and the Two Strings, Sing Street

TV Shows: Steven Universe, This is Us, Atlanta

Podcast: Heavyweight

Apps: Severed, Prisma SketchBook Motion

Books: Yaa Gyasi - Homegoing, Matthew Desmond - Evicted, Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run, Meredith Russo - If I Was Your Girl, Michael Chabon - Moonglow

Apple's full list of the best Music, Movies, TV Shows, Podcasts, and Books of 2016 can be found in our dedicated Best Of post. We also did a separate post listing all of Apple's top App Store picks for the year.

Article Link: Apple Shares New 'Best of 2016' Video

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
Heres hoping the 2017 vid is more than a minute long ;)

Schwyz

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2016
a tree
Shame Apple's products didn't make list. But then again, they weren't all that revolutionary.

Here's to hoping for 2017 revolution.

Reactions: Altis

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010

2016 was a great year for sports. Not so great for tech, films, celebrities, and diplomacy.

C0z8v8xVQAAD0DR.jpg

I personally enjoyed 2016. It had its ups and downs like when I had to move thrice in a span of 8 months. But any other year has them. Life isn't perfect. I don't celebrate New Year's Eve anymore because I don't really look at my life with bookmarks. Forget resolutions when those can happen at any day you want to try for them. Just enjoy living. No need to label them.

But I know 2016 wasn't really a great year for many. I liked 2013 and 2015 better but 2016 was pretty good too for me. I liked every single year I lived in as each year I can remember had its share of highlights and disappointments. As long as you are breathing, take the good and bad times with you and keep moving forward.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I hate to say this, but I am completely out of touch. Although I know who Drake is and about the La La movie, I have to say that I have not watch or listened to a single item on this list.

(I now feel very old)

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Apple's incessant support and promotion of mass media and big label artists and tv shows is disturbing.
That is the worst thing about Apple Music. It just seems to be designed as a way to promote pop music or artists that are already huge.

In some respects, I agree. Especially with Drake being heavily influenced in the music industry and Apple, it's like using an artist as a gate way plug.

Reactions: diego

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2010
Anyone remember when we used to get yearly videos from Apple of the best stuff made with Apple pro products?

Those were the good times. I wonder what percentage of the media they showcase in this iTunes video crossed a piece of Apple software furring its production (Apps excepted, duh).

Reactions: Aldaris

rob.james.arias

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2015
American Honey was one of the worst films this year. Unless you find watching teenagers drive around in a van smoking pot and listening to music amazing... The audio processing on the film was equally terrible. Had the audio quality been at all decent the film could have been slightly tolerable for 20-30 minutes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.