Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple continues to position the Apple Watch as "the gift of go" with a new ten-second ad called "Go Swim" that shows an Apple Watch Series 2 being used in a backyard swimming pool. It is the seventh ad in Apple's "the gift of go" ad campaign for the Apple Watch this holiday shopping season.

The ads will likely appear on TV in the United States, and possibly elsewhere, alongside "Go Surf," "Go Ride," "Go Play," "Go Run," "Go Out," and "Go Dance" ads shared earlier this month. Apple said it set a new Apple Watch sales record during the first week of the holiday shopping season.

Article Link: Apple Shares New 'Go Swim' Ad for Apple Watch

Born Again

macrumors 601
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Elaborate. Because unless you give a good argument for this reasoning, you're just flinging mud

?

The apple watch doesn't provide a real swimmer the same metrics as does a garmin or suunto watch.

it's a toy for now.
[doublepost=1482446089][/doublepost]
Well, You got one of the features correct that the Apple Watch can serve as. Your Prius Theory isn't exactly fitting or even close to being a fair comparison.

the apple watch isn't a swim watch.

Reactions: pentrix2

themongooseman

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2015
Aotearoa
I've trained for standard distance, 5k open water, 70.3 and Ironman with 3 or 4 different Garmins, watches by Polar, and a Finis Swimsense...pretty much every major swim tracking option available. Apple Watch does everything all of those do, although whether the open water tracking is up to much (and whether it would survive a mass start with 1400 other people) is open to question. Unless you actually know what you're talking about, probably best to clam up.

the apple watch is a swim watch like a toyota prius is a sports car.

Born Again

macrumors 601
May 12, 2011
Norcal
I've trained for standard distance, 5k open water, 70.3 and Ironman with 3 or 4 different Garmins, watches by Polar, and a Finis Swimsense...pretty much every major swim tracking option available. Apple Watch does everything all of those do, although whether the open water tracking is up to much (and whether it would survive a mass start with 1400 other people) is open to question. Unless you actually know what you're talking about, probably best to clam up.

you would never triathlon with the apple watch. Nice try.

i've done my share of 70.3's and an ironman so unless youre a pro good luck with that battery lasting

themongooseman

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2015
Aotearoa

i've done my share of 70.3's and an ironman so unless youre a pro good luck with that battery lasting
If you actually read what I said, I haven't raced OR trained with Apple Watch 2. What I said was that it tracks laps, stroke count, stroke type, and has a far better platform for app development than Garmin's highly variable IQ setup. And no, the battery absolutely would not last any normal human being for IM...which I already hinted at by stating I didn't think it would handle a mass start too well.

H. Flower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Why is he declining the call?

Maybe because "work" is calling, but how does the apple watch benefit the situation?

The message doesn't make sense.

gsucyclist

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2014
?

The apple watch doesn't provide a real swimmer the same metrics as does a garmin or suunto watch.

it's a toy for now.

I disagree. I use the Swim.com app and it does everything that my Garmin 910xt does and even provides metrics such as SWOLF. It even auto pauses during intervals while i'm resting on the wall which the Garmin does not do. True it wouldn't work well for a triathlon because for one its not easy to switch between sports, but for training, absolutely.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
?

it's a toy for now.

I've been training for and participating in triathlons for over 5 years. I used my original Apple Watch through 2 sprint distance and 1 Olympic distance triathlons.

I use the Series 2 for lane swimming every week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.