Apple Shares New 'Groceries' Video Highlighting Apple Pay on iPhone X [Updated]

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 3, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today shared a new "Groceries" ad that's designed to highlight the ease of using Apple Pay with Face ID on the iPhone X.

In the short 12 second spot, which will likely be shown on TV, YouTube, and social media networks, a woman shopping for produce at the grocery store uses an iPhone X and Apple Pay to make her purchases.

The fruit she buys is then crafted into an elaborate sea scene with a shark made from watermelon, banana dolphins, watermelon waves, pineapple palm trees, and more.

Apple in recent weeks has shared several videos focusing on Apple Pay features on the iPhone X. "Fly Market," published in late March, for example, featured a man dancing through an open air market making purchases with just a glance, while a second spot with the same actor demonstrated Apple Pay Cash.

Update: Apple has uploaded several additional short iPhone X videos, all of which feature Apple Pay on iPhone X. "Coffee" and "Kicks" highlight a traditional in-store Apple Pay purchases, while "Grooming" features an in-app Apple Pay purchase.

Article Link: Apple Shares New 'Groceries' Video Highlighting Apple Pay on iPhone X [Updated]

2. Nicholecata94 macrumors newbie

If only Apple Pay were actually accepted at any grocery stores I go to. I would love to use it...

3. now i see it macrumors 68000

I'm sure those who actually use Apple Pay with Face ID and miss Touch ID won't find this ad very entertaining.

4. wolfshades macrumors 6502

wolfshades

All of the major groceries stores here in Canada accept Apple Pay. But I've noticed that once you cross the border in the U.S. it's largely hit or miss (mostly miss, from my limited time there in NYC).

5. Nicholecata94 macrumors newbie

Ah my home and native land! Yes it works fine there! But the USA is so behind...rather than allowing one universal system, each retail store wants to make it's own "superior" version that is much more complicated and in the end makes me not use anything besides the old fashioned way to pay.

6. spazzcat, Apr 3, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2018

spazzcat macrumors 68020

spazzcat

I use AP all the time, don't miss touchID. FaceID is just as fast, it is just a different set of steps.

7. tmiw macrumors 68000

I fully suspect that the card networks will have to dramatically cut interchange if they want anything other than chip and signature to be a thing. Most stores in the US are actually not huge fans of Visa/MC and really only accept cards because they have to; they're not really going to do more than the minimum required.

8. SoundJudgment, Apr 3, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2018

SoundJudgment macrumors regular

SoundJudgment

I am laughing at the comments. Here in the US I **CAN"T** Find a restaurant, grocery or retail-store that **DOESN'T** accept Apple (or Android/Google) Pay! Even the greasy-spoon Diners take it! :cool:

9. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

I’m usually a fan of Apple commercials, but theses are a bit deceptive because the Apple Pay process really includes double clicking the side button first and then holding the phone in the precise location so it gets read. After which, I glance at the bottom at my phone where the Apple Pay icon swirls and wait (and hope) that it gets processed. I’m not disparaging FaceID but to make an Apple Pay purchase does require more steps.

10. obezcinnet macrumors member

I actually watched these after reading your comment, and they show the double clicking the side button on all ads.

11. yansun, Apr 3, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2018

yansun macrumors regular

"Pay and done", except if it's not available in your country.

12. NightFox macrumors 68000

NightFox

IIRC if you hold the phone to a card reader, it goes straight to the Apple Pay authentication screen without any need to double-click the side button. Of course, depending on the position of the card reader you then may have to move the phone to see your face and then replace it on the card reader, so using the side button may be easier, but not actually necessary.

13. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

You always have to double click the side button. It ensures Apple Pay isn’t charged without your intent. If you hold your phone to the reader first, the Apple Pay screen does appear, but you still need to double click the side button.

14. NightFox macrumors 68000

NightFox

OK thanks for the correction, I guess I just do it without even thinking about it these days.

15. walnuts macrumors 6502a

Ugh... I wonder if they are making this push because Apple Pay is getting poor adoption. It’s great that some of the commenters see good support from stores, but it’s still dismal in NYC. So often either the actual machine doesn’t accept it (particularly depressing if it’s clear the store went out of their way to find a special machine that accepts chips but not electronic payments), or it’s not set up right and won’t work. I don’t understand why some machines have the electronic symbol and it still doesn’t work. And while I still try all the time, you never get used to the embarrassment of being the dork who insists on holding up the line to try it only to find it doesn’t work.

16. deeddawg macrumors 604

It must depend on where you are. Around the Atlanta area there's pretty good adoption. Lots of small business accept ApplePay. I've used it at autoparts chains such as PepBoys. Sprouts and TraderJoes have been on board for a long time and it works great. I've seen it at one gas pump so far, but at the inside counter all the QuikTrip gas stations take ApplePay, as has every RaceTrac I've been at. Walgreens has fully adopted; and I can even use my loyalty card from my watch. If anything I'd say more of the places I shop take it than don't.

The big exceptions are Kroger and Publix grocery stores.

Yet when I drive up to the lake, in the little wide-spot-in-the-road town of 2000 people, both grocery stores take ApplePay.

17. spazzcat macrumors 68020

spazzcat

Look at phone, press side button two times, place on reader. That is all you have to do. It is always instant for me and way faster then using my chip card.

18. walnuts macrumors 6502a

I agree. With what you mention about chains- they appear to be the most reliable- they usually have a corporate policy, and if that is to support Apple Pay, then Apple Pay is supported. But (and independent businesses are great) a lot of independent businesses here like bodegas, small groceries, restaurants etc, barely accept credit cards and if they do they don’t put a lot of effort into things like Apple Pay.

Also, it’s really nice in places like Europe where wait staff at restaurants have the little hand held thing for credit cards that accepts Apple Pay. The restaurant industry here in New York seems so far from that.

19. Kaibelf macrumors 68020

Kaibelf

Wouldn't those people just use an iPhone 8/8+ instead of an X?
    --- Post Merged, Apr 4, 2018 ---
    Same thing in Chicago with Jewel and most places I go. It seems that only the smaller stores that use much older equipment are behind, but they are SO far behind they don't even accept chips. In fact, several places have the little chip slot blocked and make you swipe (Aldi, shame on you) so they are actually FORCING us to be less secure than even the current baseline. When they are walloped with a Panera-style breach maybe they will change their tune.

20. switcher3365 macrumors regular

Yep. Publix was part of that Merchant Exchange Council group that was going to use a QR code based system called CurrentC, and then that fell apart. Some companies like Best Buy started using Apple Pay while others like Walmart, Target, and CVS created their own payment systems (ugh...).

I'm hoping that there will eventually be a HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray moment and we all end up with one way to pay a couple of years from now.

21. deadoctopi macrumors member

deadoctopi

And like 40% of the time, when i pull out my phone at my main store i shop at daily, there’s such a delay after my thumb activates it on the phone end I just put my damn phone down and shove my card in. I know that’s not entirely on Apple’s side but it’s still a reason I’ll never “part” with my wallet anytime soon.

22. spazzcat macrumors 68020

spazzcat

Maybe it your carrier? AP is significantly faster then using my chip card.

23. MacFan23 macrumors 6502

It definitely used to work that way with TouchID, not sure if it still does but I'd assume so.

24. deeddawg macrumors 604

More likely the merchant's system. If I'm remembering correctly there's no communication from the phone through the cellular channels. I used ApplePay on my Series2 Apple Watch several times with my phone out of range.

Though who knows. I rarely use my phone for Apple Pay these days, I just my watch. It's already "out" and is a simple double-click to wake up Apple Pay.

25. NightFox macrumors 68000

NightFox

No, he's right, I tried it last night. Even if you do present your unlocked phone to the card reader, you still need to double-click the side button to trigger the FaceID authentication.