Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today shared another short iPhone 6s video, this time starring actor and director Jon Favreau. In the "On the Set" video, Favreau is directing a gymnastic sequence and uses the hands-free always-on "Hey Siri" feature to ask Siri to bring up pictures of flying squirrels.

The iPhone 6s is here, and the only thing that's changed with Siri is everything. Because now you just say "Hey Siri" and Siri's there, hands-free. Which can come in handy.
Today's ad starring Jon Favreau is the latest in a series of iPhone 6s ads that have featured celebrities and sports figures like Jamie Foxx, Stephen Curry, and Bill Hader using the various features of Apple's latest flagship device.

The video also comes one day after Apple shared two other iPhone 6s ads, focusing on the Hey Siri feature and the iPhone's powerful A9 processor. All of the ads are part of a campaign that uses the tagline "The only thing that's changed is everything."

Article Link: Apple Shares New 'On the Set' Hey Siri Commercial Starring Jon Favreau

Reactions: xerexes1

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
No, it will be record-breaking.
Brace Yourself!

The record breaking days _will be ending_

It's Impossible, (yes I said impossible) to keep a streak alive forever.

The day that Happens, the Life will be sucked out of Apple.

Reaching for their life saving bag of cash they'll make a recovery, yet suffer a concussion so severe they'll never be the same again.

Don't believe it?
You have no choice but to wait and witness it.

Reactions: naeS1Sean

ApplePhy

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2013
Brace Yourself!

Reaching for their life saving bag of cash they make a recovery, yet suffer a concussion so severe they'll never be the same again.

Don't believe it?
Apple has become the victim of its unprecedented success.

If  stock prices remain stagnant (or often times down) after a record shattering quarter, imagine the hit  will take once this 'streak' inevitability ends.

After all, market saturation for smartphones will happen eventually.

Reactions: maxsix

PaulRustad007

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2015
Any reason why the iPad needs to plugged in for it to recognize "Hey Siri?" Being tethered sort of defeats the main selling point....

happydude

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2006
a gasping dying planet
Apple has become the victim of its unprecedented success.

If  stock prices remain stagnant (or often times down) after a record shattering quarter, imagine the hit  will take once this 'streak' inevitability ends.

After all, market saturation for smartphones will happen eventually.

yeah, but that's why they "make" you upgrade every 2 years, maybe three if you're content with a sluggish phone that can't do all the new and even more magical stuff.

and as far as saturation goes...enter the apple watch. brand new niche market taking off and they're (according to a previous MR article) almost leading the pack at #2 for wearables. nowhere to go but up from there.

oh, and cars.

driceman

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
So it looks like services and advertising have crashed the hardest without Steve around to keep quality control up... Hope Cook is talking to Schiller and Cue about their lousy performances this year.

Reactions: Boomish69

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Brace Yourself!

Reaching for their life saving bag of cash they'll make a recovery, yet suffer a concussion so severe they'll never be the same again.

Don't believe it? You have no choice but to wait and witness it.

One year Apple was selling 100 million iPhones a year. The next year they were selling 150 million iPhones a year. Then the following year they were selling 200 million iPhones a year.

You're right though... iPhone growth will surely stop.... but iPhone sales will continue.

If Apple can sell somewhere between 200-250 million iPhones a year (which I have no doubt they can do) and they have an ASP of over $600 (which is normal for Apple... they don't do cheap) then I don't see what the problem is.

There are some companies who barely sell 20 million smartphones... and LOSE money on each one!

Aren't they the ones you should be worried about?

But yes... there will be a time when Apple fails to break their own sales record. So they'll just have to settle for selling a huge amount of phones with large profit margins.

Oh the horror ;)

Last edited:

Soccertess

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
Brace Yourself!

I won't argue with you :) Count me in by those frustrated with the direction Apple is going.

I think Apple's has lost it's competitive lead in all product lines. iOS still has many pros over Android, but those Pros keep shrinking and competitors pros keep increasing. Steve left Timmy an amazing OSX, and the iphone has a substantial user base (my self including but I do drool over some android phones these days).

Timmy just needs to keep copying and Apple will be financial sound. They is a strong tech company still, but not the extraordinary company Jobs made them. It does seem like Apple's pioneering days are over, but they do still make solid operating system. OSX is still an awesome.

For those that who whine and say Apple Watch as amazing... I give you it's ok in a market of crappy products. For 1000 dollars I have better things to blow it on.

Norbs12

Suspended
Apr 24, 2015
Mountain View, CA
Wonderful how "hey siri" can hear him in all that noise while the smallest background noise totally makes it not work on my phone.

Seems like they are more commercials then quality products these days. I'm sure the next macbook pro will be nice but it seems like they are behind on so many things. A couple examples: Still selling iMacs with only a 5400rpm drive and 16gb phones... come on... sometimes you need to think about your customers and not just profits before you lose both.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Brace Yourself!

Don't believe it?

thats where you're wrong. I'm not saying that they will break records always, but it's definitely not impossible - because apple is in the business of selling consumables. something that lasts 2 years before it needs to be replaced again. the record breaking crowd of two years ago will potentially be a record breaking crowd this year. they're not going to suddenly stop using a cellphone.
As long as apple can keep their customers happy and give them zero incentive to jump ship to another platform, and in the process attract more customers from android, as well as emerging markets, like china and india, thereby making the pie bigger, they make it possible for themselves to keep breaking records.

Don't be fooled, you're not apple's customer that bought a $750 iPhone, you're apple's customer that buys a $750 iPhone every two years, forever. you help break apple's record not just last year, but every two years from now on.

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
W T F?

jon-stewart-confused-what.gif

Reactions: dk001 and naeS1Sean

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Brace Yourself!

Don't believe it?

Post is about an ad...proceeds to 'predict' Apple's apparent demise

giphy.gif

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
It's confusing because the last generation of iPhones had "Hey, Siri."

They added a chip that doesn't use much power so that "Hey, Siri" can be used when not plugged in, something that all Android phones in the iPhone's price category have had for a year now.

The simple way to explain all this is to feature an ad with a man I don't know (who, I understand from context is famous) in a confusing situation asking about flying squirrels.

Reactions: dk001 and GreyOS

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
Any reason why the iPad needs to plugged in for it to recognize "Hey Siri?" Being tethered sort of defeats the main selling point....
I believe it's the M9 coprocessor that makes the difference.

I don't understand the actual technology behind it, but something about it makes it power efficient enough to leave the microphone on at all times. With the previous iPhones and with the iPads the microphone is only on at all times when plugged in.

Edit: The iPad Pro also has the M9 coprocessor but does not have the always on "Hey, Siri."

Not sure what to make of that except that Apple is very often inscrutable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.