Apple Shares New Pricing for Battery Replacements Starting January 1, 2019

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 12, 2018 at 3:13 PM.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Since the end of 2017, Apple has been offering battery replacements for a discounted price of $29 to appease customers who were upset at device throttling resulting from degraded battery performance.

When announcing the new inexpensive battery replacement pricing, Apple promised to offer the discounted price for the entirety of 2018.

[​IMG]

Now that we're nearing the end of the year, Apple has provided us with an updated support document on what battery replacements will be priced at after the price drop expires.

Starting on January 1, 2019, battery replacements for the iPhone SE, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, and iPhone 8 Plus will be priced at $49, up from $29.

iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR battery replacements will cost $69, as will iPhone X battery replacements, and batteries for all older iPhones will cost $79.

At $49 and $69 for most devices, Apple is dropping the price of its battery repairs overall. Before the entire throttling snafu that resulted in the price drop, battery replacements cost $79.

Devices that are under an AppleCare+ or AppleCare+ Theft and Loss plan will not incur a fee if a battery replacement is required.

Customers with older iPhones that want to take advantage of the $29 battery replacement pricing should schedule a replacement before the end of 2018 before prices go up.

Article Link: Apple Shares New Pricing for Battery Replacements Starting January 1, 2019

2. JGIGS macrumors 6502a

JGIGS

The X battery cost $10 more than the XS? Interesting.

3. Baymowe335 macrumors 68020

Still reasonable prices. Everyone that needed one at $29 got one or should have gotten one.

4. Superdrive macrumors 6502a

Superdrive

The $29 for my iPhone 6S+ was the best investment on an Apple product. I did not have shutdown issues, but a battery and iOS 12 make it like a new phone.

5. scottcampbell macrumors regular

Definitely replacing my 6s battery before the end of the year. Not sure if I'm keeping the phone, or if it will just help my resale value go up (Like New iPhone 6s with Brand New Battery!)

6. redneckitengineer macrumors regular

redneckitengineer

Probably need this in a year as I’m skipping this years upgrades.

7. JPack macrumors 68030

JPack

This is the only price drop from Apple any one has seen in a long time.

Given the work and warranty involved, I think $49 and $69 are fair prices.

8. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

I agree -- very reasonable prices. As for replacing mine and my wife's phones at $29, I will do so in early November. Might as well squeeze as much life as possible out of our existing battery!

9. PlayUltimate macrumors member

PlayUltimate

ditto. I have a 7+ and do not see a real need to update to the new phones. I do hope to get a replacement for my iPadAir2 when new iPads are announced.

10. B4U macrumors 68000

B4U

Except they forced the cancer called iOS 11 on the iPhone 6S that has the battery issue.

11. Love Divine macrumors regular

Love Divine

I have an X, bought in early 2018. Battery health at 90%. No Apple care.

Am I eligible for a $29 replacement before Jan 2019?

12. brentsg macrumors 68040

Does the beta battery estimator thing work? It seems to think my day 1 6 Plus still charges to 93% capacity, which think sounds suspect.

Do you have to meet some criteria for the discounted replacement?

13. PdaRosa macrumors newbie

I'm unfamiliar with this but is there any prerequisite to qualify for this or can anyone with a phone on this list make an appointment and get a new battery installed?

14. arggg14 macrumors 6502a

In for answers.

15. tennisproha macrumors 65816

Check the support document instead

16. August West macrumors regular

August West

Still not bad pricing. I was going to get one for my 6s Plus but the battery health is still at 100% so it seems pointless.

17. Love Divine macrumors regular

Love Divine

It’s not really listed anywhere that I’ve been able to find in there...

18. PickUrPoison macrumors 68000

According to the chart below, yes... but it also talks about “eligible” iPhones. It used to be the battery had to be <80% capacity before they’d replace it but I think that requirement has been suspended. Call Apple or go into a store if you have one near.

796BC675-9F25-462B-A7F3-893CF9F576ED.png

19. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

My 7plus had almost 600 charges

Got a new battery. $29 for Apple backed is
    A Good deal

20. Boatboy24 macrumors 6502a

Pretty reasonable, if you ask me. Heck, I might still be rocking my 3GS if it were that cheap to get new batteries. :p

21. Think creative macrumors member

I have a 6S+ that needs a new battery, but I have to send it into apple (I don't live near an apple store). So, I will do so, as soon as I have a week where I know I'll be at my office so much I won't miss my phone (probably later this month. As for getting a new phone, I'm off contract and buy phones outright, so until the Xr comes contract free (usually a month or two after they are announced) I'm good with my old phone :)

22. Westside guy macrumors 603

Westside guy

I was going to replace the battery in my 6S before the end of the year... even though the battery is fine. But with the new regular price only being $49 (versus $79 before), I don't think I'll bother - I won't really need one for another year or two.

I'm going to keep this 6S going for as long as I reasonably can. There's just not a compelling reason for me to upgrade, and it's a great phone.

23. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

$49 isn’t bad at all for my family that has 6s+ and may not wanna deal with Apple
    Store before the end of the year

Also for
    My iOS 10 SE. which has 200 something charges but 90% health still. Don’t wanna bother.

24. clauzzz203 macrumors 6502

Let’s not forget, this is paying to cover their performance scam

25. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

Of course haha

But still; finally a fair shake from Apple on repair costs. Even if they had to get caught with their pants down and arm twisted to do it.

I’d be more worried about the new potential PR issue of how hard they milk customers with 5w and no dongle. For a plus sized battery and up across the board. And the retail prices. Apple is abusing their most loyal. And kinda tarnishing the brand by doing so. Like never before imo